PFD - Do you ever paddle without one?

Inland paddling
JimT

PFD - Do you ever paddle without one?

Post by JimT » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Returning to paddling after many years and yes of course I would wear one 90% of the time, but is it normal and really necessary if your having a gentle paddle on a canal, or is it very much frowned upon to go on any water without one these days?

I had a gentle mooch along the canal for a couple of hours this morning and have to confess to leaving it in the car.

chilealan

Re: PFD - Do you ever paddle without one?

Post by chilealan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Only once on a section of grade 2 water for about 30 mins before another member of the group said" Where's your Buoyancy Aid" the short paddle back to the car was quite nervous!!!!!

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:05 pm

I generally don't on a canal, and I won't when surfing if I'm confident of the conditions, but I always wear one on rivers no matter how low the grade. I think it depends upon your confidence in being to stay in the boat and being able to deal with a situation should things go wrong and you end up in the water,
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Perhaps not on a canal - where I could probably stand up. But I feel underdressed paddling without one, a bit like I would feel driving without a seatbelt, it's just an automatic thing to do.

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 pm

I generally train on the canal without one.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:58 am

Depends upon the canal! Back in the BWB days the bridgekeepers on the Gloucester-Sharpness Canal included officious guys who seemed to look for reasons to ask you to leave the water - but most took the view that if you looked as if you knew what you were doing they would leave you alone. Nowadays the CRT bridgekeepers are more likely to say things like "That looks fun."
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

JimT

Post by JimT » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies and as I said, yeah I would wear one on anything other than a canal and perhaps if I was having a go at some small surf as from what I remember we didn't years ago because they were a bit restrictive and made swimming harder.

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:41 am

The only time I paddle without is at the occasional pool session. When "outdoors" I always wear one - it's like a seatbelt in the car, it feels unnatural without!

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:10 am

As a coach I try to avoid setting a bad example .....
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

OMarti

Post by OMarti » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:41 pm

I would really feel naked if I paddle without a PFD, ride the motorbike without a helmet or drive a car without a seatbelt ...

But in fact I do paddle a waveski without a PFD.

Olivier

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:01 pm

See

in response to
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:00 am

Oh them pro's gonna have to call out Benny Marr too...

JasonFox

Post by JasonFox » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am

Man, this argument just keeps coming up and in many cases, blown way out of proportion.
As per usual boaters tip toe around their answer and others get all self-righteous.

The simple answer is that there is no correct answer because what is acceptable to you may not be acceptable to me. One fella will say I sometimes don't wear one on a flat canal while others will surf 10ft waves in skins.
Kayaking is a calculated risk and sometimes I calculate that I don't want to wear one. Funny how no one shares pictures and makes a fuss when waveski riders or surf kayakers go nips out. Or when a slalomist wears a PFD's that, lets face it, would not float a toddler.

Using vids of better-known paddlers giving their opinion does not mean the matter is closed, at the end of the day they are normal boaters with personal opinions. If a famous paddler posted a video saying all kayak surfers have to wear a BA cos dem the rules... the surfing community would not give a crap and carry on anyway.

In the end it's about calculated risk. Personally, Would I go without a PFD when paddling the Middle Guil or the Zam? No. (Not completely true, guilty of surfing 12b with no BA a handful of times)
How about pottering down my local.... close but ok, I'd still wear one.
However; surfing on the Nile Special like Ive done 500 times before with the sun out, good vibes and with a bunch of mates? Hell yes!
That is my calculated risk. If you were in the eddy that day, maybe you would have too.

Beleive me, when it's all said and done. Pro's will tell you to be safe and always wear a PFD on camera (and for the most part they mean it) but I've sat in the eddy watching 1/2 of these guys you see in the stakeout vids and they are going rashy only like the worst of us. Usually hung over from the zapper or Waragi the night before.

Make your own choices and paddle with people you trust.
Paddling the Fairy Glen? A quick weigh up of the pros and cons will tell you to wear a PFD. Slalom / Pole dodging on the Nene in Peterborough? You will probably survive without one!
Unless you are a coach... tell everyone and push your opinion as fact. After all, its in the handbook.

Feathers Ruffled.

;)

PlymouthDamo

Post by PlymouthDamo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 pm

JasonFox wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am
Man, this argument just keeps coming up...
That happens when old topics get resurrected.

Jim

Post by Jim » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:22 am

JasonFox wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 am
Or when a slalomist wears a PFD's that, lets face it, would not float a toddler.
Factually inaccurate.
Slalom rules require exactly the same standard of buoyancy that any river running bouyancy aid needs to have (many river running BA's do exceed the standard when new and before the pockets are filled with useless crap).
Mine definitely floats me, I accidentally tested it this afternoon when I messed up in my C1, and in fact it was tested last month using an official ICF test cage at the WWR World masters race.

dougdew99

Post by dougdew99 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:30 am

I have paddled in Canada a fair bit and my experience of Canadian paddlers is that they do not wear PFDs habitually as happens in U.K. They tend to paddle without PFDs unless the situation requires it. I am talking about big river trips in canoes, e.g. The Nahanni.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:43 pm

You get critisied for not using helmets on flat water over here!
I can roll :)

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am

gp.girl wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:43 pm
I think part of that is the type of paddling we do. My view as a role model is always wear a helmet, as in my case, Scouts will see us wearing helmets and think it is the norm to do so, from their first experience on the water onwards.

Personally I tend to enjoy my time on the water less if I get knocked round the head with a paddle. Maybe that's just me!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Do you wear a helmet when playing tennis doubles?

Might parents or youngsters see people wearing helmets and think it is a dangerous sport?

At the club they usually wear helmets for playing polo and shooting the weirs.

I use either when I think it is necessary / appropriate. Just got back from two weeks in Canada and we wore BAs just once or twice when we were in the middle of big lakes and the wind got up.

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:36 pm

We wear them whenever there is a risk of hitting your head. Whether that be from other kayakers paddles, boats or falls. It also helps differentiate groups. We have red and blue helmets which are sometimes used to make up teams when doing games.

It's also easier to do head counts.

Most centres also have helmets as a default policy too.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:48 pm

MaverickvRS wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:38 am
gp.girl wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:43 pm
I think part of that is the type of paddling we do. My view as a role model is always wear a helmet, as in my case, Scouts will see us wearing helmets and think it is the norm to do so, from their first experience on the water onwards.

Personally I tend to enjoy my time on the water less if I get knocked round the head with a paddle. Maybe that's just me!
but it isn 't the norm so they will reject it very quickly. I'd feel a total idiot wearing the full face polo style helmet coaching. I wouldn't have had quite a few paddles to the face none to the head so a normal one would be pointless but it would be very difficult to build any sort of trust wearing that!

If you wanted to save lives or prevent injury compulsory helmets are the way to go. Not just during sport but all the time. And that idea seems weird at best.
I can roll :)

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:33 pm

I also think of those who could be taking risks rescuing me .