Who is the most iconic current paddlers

Inland paddling
Iwynne

Who is the most iconic current paddlers

Post by Iwynne » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm

If you could paddle with anyone on any river today (who is still actively paddling) who who you want to go with?

I need a top ten list.

Poke

Re: Who is the most iconic current paddlers

Post by Poke » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:46 pm

Iwynne wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm
Who is the most iconic current paddlers?
Iwynne wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 pm
If you could paddle with anyone on any river today (who is still actively paddling) who who you want to go with?
They *is* two different questions ;-)

The answer to the latter question, would definitely be some combo of mates / wife / family, depending on the river.

The former question, no idea. If you're on about white water boaters, have a look at any of the recent WWGP/Unleashed entry lists – though I guess people like Shaun Baker, Eric Jackson, Richard Fox, Pete Knowles are still paddling (albeit not at the top of their game), and they're all pretty iconic - probably more so than most of todays top paddlers.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

Iwynne

Post by Iwynne » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Ok a little more clarity on the question (my fault for a rushed post mid journey)

I would like a list of paddlers who would be considered ‘the best’ in the business, ideally for white water river experiences, (sorry don’t know the correct terminology being a flat water guy) anywhere in the world

Possible purpose behind the question: If i was to build a directory of the best people to paddle with (not your mates, unless they happen to be as described above) which you could search through to find the coach/paddler and experiences / rivers of your choosing as reconmended by the paddling community, and then rated by the experiences once they on the directory ?

charleston14

Post by charleston14 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 pm

Freya Hoffmeister is the undisputed champion of the epic sea kayaking expedition with a solo circumnavigation of Australia including a non stop crossing over the entire gulf of Carpentaria she’s also circumnavigated loads of other places, ..,like all of South America.

But given the choice id sooner paddle with either Brian Wilson (blazing paddles) as his books are excellent and I like his attitude to people and life in general. Or beau miles from Monash university in Australia as his video on the bass strait crossing was great and I’d learn a thing or two about how to make an brilliant kayaking film and I bet we’d laugh.
Scorpio LV

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:06 pm

I strongly suspect the best** paddlers are ones no-one has heard of except in their small circles.
Sure there are a few paddlers that publicize themselves for commercial reasons {Dane Jackson would be the obvious choice there], but there are so many other equally etc paddlers who just quietly get on with being awesome at it.

** best – I've always held that the 'best' paddlers are the ones that enjoy it most, or get the most out of it, no matter their skill level.
dave

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:13 pm

Not all the 'top boaters' are actively available for coaching / hire. (But then if the price was right, who knows?) If you are asking who the best coaches are, I don't know. Certainly Eric Jackson is the most well-known freestyle coach.

But if it's simply compiling a top 10 list of people I would like to go paddling with it would be

Scott Lindgren (some big first Ds)
Steve Fisher (not the force he once was, but fun to take the piss, and I did actually meet him once and he was very friendly)
Ben Marr (big water fiend)
Rush Sturges (does a bit of everything)
Aniol Serrasoles (balls the size of trucks and ridiculous tricks off waterfalls)
Evan Garcia (cos he looks like he'd be good banter)
Flemming Schmidt (Norway creeking legend)
Noria Newman (keeps up with all the guys / diffuse the testosterone levels)
Barny Young (comedy kiwi, have actually paddled with him, top banter)
Eric or Dane Jackson (freestyle gurus)

And the river would be the Barle, natch.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:14 am

Anya Arsehole Dutch master

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am

Iwynne wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 pm
If i was to build a directory of the best people to paddle with (not your mates, unless they happen to be as described above) which you could search through to find the coach/paddler and experiences / rivers of your choosing as reconmended by the paddling community, and then rated by the experiences once they on the directory ?
In this case, do you mean "what are the top 10 commercial trips you could do in the world (and who does them best)?

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:12 am

Poke wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am
Iwynne wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:41 pm
If i was to build a directory of the best people to paddle with (not your mates, unless they happen to be as described above) which you could search through to find the coach/paddler and experiences / rivers of your choosing as reconmended by the paddling community, and then rated by the experiences once they on the directory ?
In this case, do you mean "what are the top 10 commercial trips you could do in the world (and who does them best)?
Interestingly, my number 1 would be the same whether the question was about commercial trips or just paddling with legends, because I met my legends on the best commercial trip ;)
(except that they are now retired and would now be on a commercial trip as guests with us)

Iwynne

Post by Iwynne » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am

Thank you for all the replies, very helpful

Keep them coming.

Ideally I want the best non standard commercial, places, the little gems, special access that only the really knowledgeable and great paddlers would know about.
Imagine the client with a keen interest in the sport who wants to paddle with the best athlete, Coach, guide, in unique and experience rich places, where money is not the limiting factor!

roo

Post by roo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:38 am

Banzer - muppet.

Everyone knows it's that testpiece the Mighty T.

Hit all the eddies on the Graveyard and Ski-jump and I'm impressed.

True legends pushing it today......and people it looks like it would be fun to paddle with......

Evan Garcia
Aniol Serroles (spelling)
Pete Wood
Sam Ellis
Nouria Newman
Martin Wegman
Marian Saether

and I need to catch up with the always consistent Slim JIM Wallis.

Bod Bagby

Post by Bod Bagby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 pm

I like paddling with Mark and Mark. Location Piddle onto Poole.

Banzer has already picked the top location.

ion

Post by ion » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Ha! This is such a subjective topic.

First off I think that "The best paddlers" doesn't in any way translate into the "The best to go paddling with". For me personally I've paddled with or met on the river more than half of those named so far in this thread. They have at various times represented the cutting visible edge of kayaking and they are some seriously talented/bold folks, but socially and how I want to approach the challenge of navigating the river I already largely paddle with my 1st choice team because we are all on the same page. And who I might want to paddle with might not be who "you" want to paddle with for exactly that reason.

But I would like to paddle with Sam Ellis (whom I haven't crossed paths with yet) for the simple reason I crave some Northern river banter instead of "Dude!Bro!Way!" and the opportunity to baffle/offend some Americans
And the first time I met up with Mariann she was offering me the business end of a throw rope, which is never a good start....
And I sadly should have seized the chance to paddle with Lars Holbeck before his untimely departure.
And I would still like to paddle with Yvon Chouinard because not only is he a god personified, but the nicest and most grounded bloke with some solid ethics.

So to summarize: I want paddle with those who have stories to tell, and experiences to share, on rivers I'm not gripped to death on, where there are is an ample supply of warm beaches and cold beers. I don't want to be out of breath on a "no eddys" lap chasing someone less than half my age who might meet the legal definition of "Incapacitated"

p.s. I'd also like to paddle with Dave Bland whom I feel is about on the same place on the fat dad curve as me, and thus likely to swim as much as me.

roo

Post by roo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:34 pm

I joined in this thread because of how subjective it is - the question is a non-starter in my opinion. BUT.

ion - you've nailed excatly what I was trying to say.......

"So to summarize: I want paddle with those who have stories to tell, and experiences to share...."

Puprosefully taken out of context.

and quite clearly it's Martina Wegman, not Martin. That would be Wightman, and sadly he is no longer with us but was a pleasure to paddle with.

More importantly I want to paddle with people who #GSD.

and if you're wondering where I'm headed with this - I'm a Fat-dad with 3 girls. If I have my way, they'll be doing the shit!

ion

Post by ion » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 am

See now Roo you've made me realize I can improve my answer further!
I want to paddle with all our kids, tell them our stories, share our experiences, see the world through their eyes.

One of last years trips where it wasn't about all the big name boaters tagging along:

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:28 am

ion wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 pm
I would like to paddle with Sam Ellis

ion wrote:
I want paddle ... on rivers I'm not gripped to death on, ... I don't want to be out of breath on a "no eddys" lap chasing someone less than half my age who might meet the legal definition of "Incapacitated"
haha!

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Iwynne wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am
Thank you for all the replies, very helpful

Keep them coming.

Ideally I want the best non standard commercial, places, the little gems, special access that only the really knowledgeable and great paddlers would know about.
Imagine the client with a keen interest in the sport who wants to paddle with the best athlete, Coach, guide, in unique and experience rich places, where money is not the limiting factor!
You know, the more you refine the question, the less I actually understand it.

Forget the 'in' jokes, the best river trip I know, and it is about the trip not the whitewater because there are many trips with better whitewater, is one of the most heavily used commercial river trips in the world. Forget secret spots, don't worry if others think it is a cliche, the place to paddle is the Colorado river from Lees Ferry to Pearce Ferry.

You can do it as a private trip, or you can join a commercial raft trip, either way you want to be going with a group of chilled out boaters who can handle paddling 6+ hours a day for 2 weeks on flat water in amazing surrounds, with the a few big (but not especially hard) rapids thrown in every now and then. you want to pick interesting people who you can chat with along the way, people who are going to be as fired up for hiking up and exploring some of the different tibutary canyons you will pass as they are for paddling the rapids.

If you do a commercial trip, the guides will be supplied, you won't get much choice of who your guides are, BUT the process to become a guide on that river is such that you will have a great time whoever your guides are. They all know all the rapids and have studied the points of interest, geology, flora and fauna and will be able to show you neat stuff and answer most of your questions or dig out a book to help answer the ones they can't.

If you do a private trip it is self guided - you can choose people who have been before, you can even invite commercial guides (but you can't pay them, they have to be on equal cost sharing status with the rest of the group), and some people prefer the idea of finding stuff for themselves rather than being shown it, but there is a huge amount you can miss - even on a commercial trip you won't see it all, but will generally see the best bits.

If I was to go again, who would be my perfect group?
The difficulty there is that I will end up offending someone who I don't mention, but I know far more people I would like to paddle it with than can fit on a trip!
Chris Sladden has organised all the trips/groups I have been with before so it would be really strange to do the trip without him, obviously he ticks all the boxes, and is top of my list.
Hilde Schweitzer has been a guide/safety kayak on all my trips and is a good friend with a huge knowledge of the trip and ability to care for all levels of paddler, so Hilde and her husband Mike are also top priority!

I have a lot of friends who I would love to do the trip with, or have done the trip with, but following the vein Roo and Ion have tapped into, I actually know quite a few paddling families (where both parents and kids paddle) - they are a lot of fun and I think I would pick them next, in fact one of them has already asked me to let them know when I am next going, and 2 others have done the trip before (not with me) - I get the impression that it really suits families.

So, a few icons, but mostly I just want to paddle with friends who are fun.
Some of the kids will probably be icons in the future judging by what they are doing now. I seem to be quite good at paddling with people 'before they were famous' - a friend of mine moved to York some years ago and the few times I met up with him and paddled with the club there were a couple of kids in the group, one of whom has already been named in the thread, and another I suspect will be before long... they were good even then.

roo

Post by roo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:20 am

ion wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 am
See now Roo you've made me realize I can improve my answer further!
I want to paddle with all our kids, tell them our stories, share our experiences, see the world through their eyes.

One of last years trips where it wasn't about all the big name boaters tagging along:

Now that, ion, is epic. SOOOOO jealous right now. That's the holiday I want to do!!

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 pm

ion wrote:
I would like to paddle with Sam Ellis (whom I haven't crossed paths with yet)
I briefly met him in Switzerland, a few weeks back. Seemed a nice enough chap, but the main topic of conversation afterwards was whether the shirtless wall of muscle we'd just encountered was actually Ragnar Lothbrok.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mark Gawler
Site Admin

Post by Mark Gawler » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Mark R wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 pm
but the main topic of conversation afterwards was whether the shirtless wall of muscle we'd just encountered was actually Ragnar Lothbrok.
Mark I an mildly disturbed by your continued interest in Sam's physique.
Mark Gawler

ion

Post by ion » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Mark R wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:03 pm
ion wrote:
I would like to paddle with Sam Ellis (whom I haven't crossed paths with yet)
I briefly met him in Switzerland, a few weeks back. Seemed a nice enough chap, but the main topic of conversation afterwards was whether the shirtless wall of muscle we'd just encountered was actually Ragnar Lothbrok.
He's clearly giving fat dads a bad name. And creating peer pressure to stay off the pies and on our game....

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am

Surely not Steve Fisher after he has his crowdfunding safety video rip off of just a few years ago, good folk don't do that.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:07 pm

http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:29 am

England - Nic Burne
Scotland - James Fleming
Wales - Open to suggestions...

banzer

Post by banzer » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm

buck197 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am
Surely not Steve Fisher after he has his crowdfunding safety video rip off of just a few years ago, good folk don't do that.
Yeah there is that - doesn't seem good. And he seems to have created a new FB identity called Stephen Fisher... what's that about?
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:46 pm

buck197 wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am
????
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK