Water Carrier

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
blueythe

Water Carrier

Post by blueythe » Sat May 19, 2018 1:11 pm

I am looking for recommendations for a 5-10L water carrier. I have bought and tried the Ortllieb carrier and despite soaking for months in hot water, milton and washing up liquid, fresh still retains the most awful plastic smell and taste. I don't want my man boobs to get any bigger! so can anyone recommend a water carrier that doesn't leach these plasticisers etc into the water. thanks in advance.

adventureagent

Re: Water Carrier

Post by adventureagent » Sun May 20, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, (pardon me), I live in the country(side) now. I used to live in Toronto. My farm-raised wife used to talk about water taste. I didn't get it. She talked about food taste. I didn't get it.

Now I live "out here" in "God's Country", my water is nice. I can taste differences from time to time. I have no idea what makes that happen. I go on kayak trips and take "wild" water. I can taste the difference.

What you are talking about is way beyond my experience. You bring environmental issues closer to my mind.

I use the "Gravity Works" when I camp. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5035-528/ ... ter-System
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Mon May 21, 2018 3:46 pm

I would highly recommend the MSR Dromedary water bladders. I have had two for over 6 years and they have been bullet proof and with no nasty taste:
https://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Prod ... g-6-litre/

Rog.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 22, 2018 11:36 am

Your experience with the Ortleib doesn't match mine, and we have two of them. Have a word with them - I've found them to be helpful and responsive. Mike

blueythe

Post by blueythe » Tue May 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I have contacted the Ortlieb UK distributor and they are contacting Germany about the issue. Don't really hold much hope on that but we'll see.
I did look at the MSR range of carriers but had seen some comments about after taste in a review, nonetheless a friend of mine has recently purchased one and says there is no after taste or smell from water stored in the bag. if I don't hear from Ortlieb Germany I'll be buying the MSR. thanks again

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue May 29, 2018 4:23 pm

I have an Ortlieb, an MSR Dromedary, a Platypus and selection of bladders from the inside of wine boxes. The Dromedary developed an antiseptic taste after using one year and storing over winter, which I think I have managed to get rid of, but I don't trust it to not re-occur. The Ortlieb appears to be a similar fabric but has not so far had any taste issue. The Platypus has been fine, no taste ever. The wine box liners have also been fine for taste and are cheap, but are less robust. I would buy the Platypus.

blueythe

Post by blueythe » Tue May 29, 2018 4:54 pm

That's interesting Chris 'cause the ortlieb does seem to be getting worse. I had also looked at the platypus but couldn't find any reliable reviews and they are hard to come by in the UK. I think they are a medical grade plastic and based on your comments think I might try these in preference to the MSR. thanks

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue May 29, 2018 10:34 pm

I had also looked at the platypus but ... they are hard to come by in the UK
I bought a Platypus filtration system from ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk - no problems.

ian johnston

Post by ian johnston » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi Bluey,

Platypus for me. Tough, flexible, nasty-free construction and easily cleaned- Milton tablets work well.

Rather than one big 5-10 litre container, I use two x 2 litre and 3 1 litre containers. My thinking is this: These are more easily stowed than one huge bag, a two litre and a one litre go behind the seat in my boat (Cetus Mv) and secure in with an elastic bungee. The remainder can go in odd spaces in the boat. As water, food, beer etc is used on a multi-day trip I can use the individual bottles to compensate the change in trim of the boat. Finally, smaller bottles are easier to fill in streams etc.

A quick search of t'internet shows various bottles available from backpackinglight, Tiso, Alpine Trek and a couple of other UK retailers as well as Chris's suggestion below, so pretty good availability

Kind Regards

Ian

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Further to my comments above regarding the taint to the water in my MSR Dromedary, it re-occurred at the weekend and I'm not going to use that bag any more. I'll get another Platypus. I agree with Ian that smaller is better - I find 3 litres is a good size if you are carrying water for several days (I use about 3 litres per day).

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Just to throw another opposite view into the mix, I am the friend that Bluey mentioned and on our recent overnight kayak trip on Anglesey, I used the MSR 4L Dromedary and found it superb. It is bombproof and had no nasty taste whatsoever. Having said that, Bluey had got his hands on a couple of the Platypus carriers and they were also very impressive. I particularly liked the Platypus pouring nozzle. The 4L MSR fitted easily behind the seat in my Jura MV with loads of space for another one (or several smaller ones) should I need them. The perimeter tape handles on the MSR are very useful for handling and securing the bladder.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:07 pm

seawolf, I see the Bluey mentions you recently purchased the MSR. Mine was also fine the first summer I used it, but by autumn it has a strong taste. I tried various things to get rid of it, and I thought I had succeeded, but it's back. I hope you have better luck - it may be mine was a bad batch.

blueythe

Post by blueythe » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:00 pm

After great advice I purchased the platypus 2.0L duo lock and a 4l platypus water tank. I use both last weekend. Although the 4l fits ( just!) behind the seat of my delphin, I agree with Ian that multiple smaller bags are the way to go. The 2.0L duo lock is a great bit of kit, it folds away to nothing and the karabineer allows it to clip into one of the loops behind the seat. Think I will get another 2.oL duo lock and clip it into the opposite loop. I like the fact that you can see through the bag and any cr&% that might be inside. no taste at all. As for ortlieb, chased them this week but still waiting for a response from Germany. I don't know how these or the MSR are constructed but suspect the bag is lined with a bpa etc free liner and if this is compromised or defective in manufacture then it will result in tainted water. This won't happen with the Platypus so very happy with the purchase. The 4l bag is going in the camper van. Thanks all.