Adding latex seals to a cag

Inland paddling
webb-nickj

Adding latex seals to a cag

Post by webb-nickj » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:49 am

Has anyone ever tried adding latex seal to an cag?

I have a Palm cag with neoprene wrist seals and a neoprene/velcro neck. I also have a Typhoon drysuit for use in the winter.

The cag is fine except for the occasional drip running down the inside of my sleeve, so I was wondering if anyone has tried adding latex wrist seal to a cag? I see Lomo sell wrist seals and the glue and tape necessary to replace existing seals.

Has anyone tried doing this before?

Thanks,

Nick

PlymouthDamo

Re: Adding latex seals to a cag

Post by PlymouthDamo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Yep, I've swapped between latex and neoprene on a few suits. There's plenty of instructions on how to do it online, but a few tips:

1. Try and fully remove the neoprene seal either by completely cutting the end off your sleeves or by cutting as much of the seal as possible away with a stanley knife and sandpaper. (If you were fitting on top of an old latex seal, the best approach is to just leave the end of the old seal stuck to your cag and glue the new one on top of it.) If you're left with a bumpy mess from the old neoprene seal, then make sure you spread 2 or 3 layers of glue over it (to make it smooth) before glueing on the new seal.
2. Push a plastic bottle (1.5l coke bottles often fit wrists well) inside the cag sleeve and slide the new seal onto the same bottle. Fold back about 1.5cm of the wrist seal. (You will put the glue on this strip, wait for it to dry, then slide the seal so it butts up against your already-glued cag and then flip the 1.5 cm strip back over to make a perfect seal with no wrinkles.)
3. Use proper 2-part drysuit repair glue, which usually comes in a round metal tin and a small brown glass bottle. Ebay.
4. Roughen both mating surfaces with sandpaper and clean with either acetone or the accelerant (in the little brown glass bottle) before applying the glue.
5. Once you've done it, you can leave it at that, or glue some drysuit seam-repair tape around the join on the inside or outside or both.

webb-nickj

Re: Adding latex seals to a cag

Post by webb-nickj » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:42 am

Thanks for the advice.

I'll give it a go.