Small or Medium Machno????? (or Zet Five)

Inland paddling
Stuart M

Small or Medium Machno????? (or Zet Five)

Post by Stuart M » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Guys I have a medium size Machno but find it a bit boring on most local rivers (scotland). However I want a boat for the alps in May/June. Has anyone tried the small size Machno and want to voice an opinion? I'm 73kgs so maybe 80 with gear/BA etc. This is right on Pyranha's top range for small Machno - but we know that volume/size spec's are not exact. Is the small a different handling boat or just smaller???? And to throw in the mix- the Zet Five is out there. Anyone compared these boats? Last year I used a Stomper 80 in Valsesia and found it a lot of fun - a trait I like in river running. The medium Machno was bought to add some bouyancy behind me, and with the aim of pushing grade 4+/5. Cheers, Stuart M.
... but when will it rain and be warm... ?

davebrads

Re: Small or Medium Machno????? (or Zet Five)

Post by davebrads » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:44 pm

There is no such thing as a do-everything boat. If you want a boat that will be safe and predictable on the higher grades it will always be boring when you are paddling stuff that is within your comfort zone. A small version of a creek boat is not the answer, I would hang on to your medium Macho (provided you like it) and invest in a fun river runner such as the LL Braap, Pyranha Ripper, Jackson Antix etc. This still leaves the problem of which one to take to the Alps ; the answer is both but that might not be an option.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Surprised the 9R isn't on your list. That's in the same ball park as the new Zet.

I do have a comparison between the 9R and Machno - http://scottishwhitewater.blogspot.com/ ... achno.html

I agree with Dave though, it is going to be tough to find one boat that is perfect for everything you want to do.

morsey

Post by morsey » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 am

Paddled the small and medium Machno. They are very similar, just a matter of scaling size.

I'd say 73Kg is too big for the small Machno. Probably about 10kg over to be fair.

Fun doesn't really describe very much to be fair.

Machno's are fun, you can stick them in any eddy you want. They play well in holes and surf okay on river waves. They aren't slow and hold a nice carving line nicely and tracking and boofing are solid and predictable (exactly what is required when pushing class 5).

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 am

They play well in holes*
*side surf endlessly and maybe do a spin in the right circumstances.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 pm

9Rs ar crazy fun, even on easy local runs. You can reach so many more places and do silly stuff just because they paddle like a race car.
dave

Stuart M

Post by Stuart M » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 am

Do the folk that have actual experience of a medium Machno have any view on seat position? My other boats in the shed are all with the seat forward of the midpoint to maximise my reach and power/pull strokes. Also not heard anyone say they have a Zet 5 yet??
... but when will it rain and be warm... ?

davebrads

Post by davebrads » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 am

DaveBland wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 pm
9Rs ar crazy fun, even on easy local runs. You can reach so many more places and do silly stuff just because they paddle like a race car.
But a Ripper will do all that and more on easy runs. 9R is still boring on ordinary rivers.
it's not a playboat, it's a river runner

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:46 am

Do the folk that have actual experience of a medium Machno have any view on seat position? My other boats in the shed are all with the seat forward of the midpoint to maximise my reach and power/pull strokes. Also not heard anyone say they have a Zet 5 yet??
Can only comment on when I tried the small Machno (which was still ginormous! Confirmed by everyone around me asking if it was the large!) It tracks really well, but I found it a dull ride. There is so much rocker I would need a seat lifter to see past the nose. It's a boat you use for seriously consequential stuff. Using it on lower grades or as a 'fun' boat would be like using the Queen Mary II as a fun speed boat.

Zet Five, okay. Narrow, holds speed and 'glide' really really well. Funnily, despite its smaller size it paddles bigger. The Five is more suited to my size and weight, but to paddle the Toro feels almost precisely like my Veloc, despite being much bigger. The Toro was fun to paddle, and lively, whereas I found the Five a bit mushy.
But a Ripper will do all that and more on easy runs. 9R is still boring on ordinary rivers.
Agreed. There seems to be a lot of "this creek boat plays as well as a river play boat" stuff going around. If people want to play, get a boat designed for that, not a bathtub. Even I found fun in the medium Ripper, despite me being on the small side for it. I'm tempted to get one as my main boat actually.

Mark Mulrain

Post by Mark Mulrain » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 pm

sm wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:13 am
Do the folk that have actual experience of a medium Machno have any view on seat position?
The widest part of Pyranha boats tend to be behind the seat these days. I would suggest a neutral seat position or perhaps slightly back.
Basically, anything but forwards.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:50 pm

davebrads wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:11 am
DaveBland wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:18 pm
My bad. I forgot that there may be a difference in 'ordinary' rivers due to location. Yes, a ripper would be so much better.
dave

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”