New MKII Scorpio, or buy a used 2010(?) model?

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
PaddlesAClog

New MKII Scorpio, or buy a used 2010(?) model?

Post by PaddlesAClog » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm a college student looking at buying a Scorpio for the coming season, because I want to do lots and lots of camping and distance.. both at sea and fresh. My current kayak looks like a submarine when loaded, and is much more at home in the surf than it is on extended trips.

I might have an option to buy an older scorpio from somewhere between 2010-2012 for probably 1/4th of the price of a new model. However I read there were lots of issues with the skeg and that P&H has innovated a lot on their design so that the newer model is much nicer to paddle. I could also save up for a couple more months and attempt to buy one new... or even try to get one of the other accessible expedition models like the plastic Etain by Valley. I tried out a Scorpio a number of times and loved it, though.

I might replace the boat again in a few years when I have a steady source of income, but I expect to paddle something like 3000 km this year so comfort factors in.

Should I save up and order a new one, or try to get a good deal on the used and older boat?

I'm in the Netherlands if that helps.

Northern Blue

Re: New MKII Scorpio, or buy a used 2010(?) model?

Post by Northern Blue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

There are benefits to both Scorpio options and if you can afford to wait, there's nothing nicer than having something shiny and new, without the risk of an underlying and potentially hard to spot defect.

If money is tight, the used option from a reputable source is probably better for you at the moment.

Having owned a Scorpio 170 (divorce forced sale) and having recently replaced it with a new HV MkII, there's not a massive amount of difference between the two boats and to be fair to the 170, I had no issues with it at all.
I have had a slight issue with the skeg on the new boat, but that was more something minor being missed at QC, rather than it being a full on defect and since I rectified it, the MKII is proving to be every bit as good as, if not better than the older 170.

The tweaks over the 170 are definitely worth having, but at what cost ? The older boat is perfectly capable of satisfying your needs, until you are earning more.

All in my opinion of course,

Ken.

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 am

Nothing wrong with a used boat if money is tight .... you might have to wait a couple of months for delivery to get what you want new!

The MkII has the option of the "scudder" - I'd stick with just the skeg. The Corelite version is noticeably lighter when it comes to putting the boat on the car roof - so well worth having in my opinion!

But if you are fit and strong enough I'd stick with the older boat and be aware that the hatch covers might need changing at some point in the future.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Fozzy

Post by Fozzy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 pm

If you're thinking about an 8 year old Mk1 or a new Mk2 why not split the difference and get a second hand Mk2 with all the benefits of the newer model but at a saving of 500-600 euros?

Last one I saw was advertised for £750

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:46 pm

Maybe I'm missing something, but the latest Scorpio is nothing at all like the old one. Much more curvy and actually fun to paddle. The old one was ultra dependable, ideal for plugging along in any sea but somewhat lifeless.