Looking for watertight trousers with feet and waist seal?

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Daryl

Looking for watertight trousers with feet and waist seal?

Post by Daryl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Hello everyone, im new to the pastime and I have purchased a dry suit for when the water is too cold.

I appreciate already I wont be able to wear it when the weather warms up as it will be far too hot, however during the warmer months I still want to keep my lower half water tight for when I need to do a wet exit etc... this will allow me to wear a light weight cag or something similar with a spray deck.

Basically I have a full right articial leg and want to keep it dry as possible, getting it wet isnt a disaster and will not damage it however id prefer to explore every possibility of keep it dry, removing it for kayaking is not an option.

So im looking for trousers with the feet attached (as per drysuit) and I need a neoprene or latex waist band to give a good seal around the waist.

Does anyone produce anything like that... or can you recommend a company that makes trousers with feet who may be approachable and may be able to fit a waist seal for me.

I thought maybe a wetsuit cut at the waist with a seal added but id still need the feet added.

Thankyou for reading and any input would be appreciated.

Daryl

Re: Looking for watertight trousers with feet and waist seal?

Post by Daryl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Typical I find something maybe suitable 5mins after asking on here when ive been looking around for days..

These could be exactly what I need...nookie evolution dry trousers with socks and waist seal.

https://www.nookie.co.uk/nookie-evoluti ... -dry-socks

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:00 pm

or you could look at the Palm Atom ones...
https://www.wetsuitoutlet.co.uk/2018-pa ... 17029.html

Rog.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Second that, Palm Atom. I hear the 2 part combo is really good at keeping water out in a quick swim. There's reference on this site if you search recent posts.

I have the Atom top over salopettes - best for me so far are Peak Explorer with braces, waist belt and are high rise.
They have a neat zip fly. I've been picking dulse for an hour standing in waist deep water and zip stayed dry.
The cheaper Storm Pants are low rise waist and have no pee zip. Means either taking off cag or fighting the sharp and fiddly braces clip to pull pants down. I have both and preferentially select the dearer ones every time.

The cag has a "sticky band" which seals nicely to your deck's body tube and you can do an awful lot of rolling and nothing gets in. Its down to that sort of series of baffles created by interleaved panels of fabric. Your fold top dry bags work on same principle.

With heat management figuring in this, I rarely see any mention of the excellent string vest type thermals coming out if the Norwegian firm Brynje. They are a chunky mesh - allows air to circulate across the skin removing moisture and importantly holding the chilled outers off the skin. A thin conventional thermal top can be worn over the Brynje.
Its a good budget moisture management solution.
It would be nice if you can let us know how things work out for you. J.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:12 am

Many thx for the palm atom suggestion...and the link.

Just so im clear, are the palm atom trousers watertight on there own or must they be used with a cag?

The relief zip is a bonus, unfortunately the nookie evolutions don't have one which is a shame

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:39 am

Kokatat also do a pair with a neoprene waist seal though not as long as the nookie pair...so maybe more comfortable or more likely to allow water in perhaps.

£160 ...goretex version about double that price
https://www.escape-watersports.co.uk/cl ... ant-detail

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:32 am

It was me with atoms. I've not tried on own but expect some water would get in. It's the layering of a twin waisted cag that creates the seal.as explained earlier.

Phizz4

Post by Phizz4 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:21 am

I have a pair of the kokatat dry trousers in their less breathable fabric, although they seem to breath ok anyway. They have fabric feet which I prefer. However, during rescue practice on Carsington Water in the autumn they started to fill up with water after less than 5 minutes holding onto the side of the boat trying different re-entry strategies. On the top I had a Palm Alaska cag with double skirt, as well as the spray deck. The legs got very heavy with water and it could have been a problem if they had filled up any more. The waist layers were: undersuit, dry pants neoprene, inner skirt of cag, spray deck skirt, outer skirt of cag. The water must have been getting up between the inner skirt and the pants skirt. Maybe I should have changed the order of things and tucked the inner skirt into the pants skirt.

michelin

Post by michelin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:07 am

None of the ones mentioned will be water tight,as soon as water hits the neoprene parts water will start to get into them. You'll have'to wear any sallopetes with a cag to have a chance of keeping water out for a bit longer. I have the Kokatat whirlpool bibs and they have the best option for keeping you the driest. There system has an extra layer in it that you roll into the cags skirt and if you do this right it will keep you very dry as the water has to get through the bits you've rolled together before it can enter your legs.I also have the kokatat trousers extremely comfortable to paddle in warm weather but no good for immersion .I have owned the Palm bibs nice and comfy but will leak on immersion unless you get back in your boat really quickly. This is just my experience of the mentioned I'm sure some people will disagree but if worn correctly without a doubt the Kokatats will keep you driest

ron-t

Post by ron-t » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Hi

Don`t kid yourself that dry trousers are going to keep your legs dry if you take a swim - they aren`t.

All the neoprene waist seals in the world aren`t going to keep the water out. I have been there, I have tried them, and they didn`t work.

And even worse is dry trousers with socks - because once the water is there, it can`t get out, the water runs down into the feet and there it stays.

The only thing that will keep you dry is a drysuit.

ron-t

Post by ron-t » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi again

Maybe I should have added that it was stand alone dry trousers that in my experience didn`t work.

I haven`t ever tried the ones that are designed to roll together with a cag to form an effective dry suit, so I can`t say what they are like.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:05 am

Many thx guys for all your input, its much appreciated.

There I was thinking, a bit of costal touring in combats and sleeveless tshirt during the summer sounded lovely, I am learning that safety (sea temp) must not be over looked.

As suggested il try the dry trousers with a warm weather cag during the summer months, or have a stripped down basic leg made that can take a soaking.

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:14 pm

On the trousers and cag topic.....

I've never swim tested the roll together seal on Kokatat's bib trousers and cag but, having tried it out paddling once, found that it does make for a very uncomfortable roll of material under a spray-deck and BA
I like it as an idea as it would (possibly) work if conditions changed overnight during a camping trip to the point where a dry suit would have been more appropriate than separates - but it's not something I would routinely choose to use.

Dry trousers with a neoprene waist band and a spray deck on top tend to give me a very uncomfortable indigestion feeling if I'm paddling and make it almost impossible to eat anything so I tend to use either a dry suit or bib trousers. The down side of bib trousers and a cag is the amount of material around your abdo and thorax makes for a very un-brathable, sweat-trapping layer.
So much sea - so little time to see it.

john.ruston

Post by john.ruston » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Daryl.
Just a quick flash of inspiration. In our local bait store there are lightweight chest waders with built in neoprene socks These items are under £20. Could a dress maker be persuaded to remove one leg just to provide a waterproof case for prosthesis?. Then in suitable weather you could wear shorts - all warnings about water temp still stand. I'm sure usually resourceful and charming Occupational Therapy folk can give advice on this. Good Luck and enjoy your paddling.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:39 pm

Daryl, prompted by John's suggestion, is your stump long enough to fit a seal round, above the artificial leg? Somebody like http://www.rubberman.co.uk or DAM Watersports (no website but I can find contact details if you need them) would make you custom "leg suit" to keep it dry, then you'd just have the cold water issue (on which there is much written elsewhere on here).

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:33 pm

I had a pair of Nookie dry trousers with the big high neoprene waist seal. They originally had ankle cuffs but when they failed (after a good few years) I had them changed for latex booties. The result was almost lethal. After a minute or two there was so much water in the boot that I could not lift them out of the water to re-enter the boat. Pretty scary even in a practice environment.

I would second the suggestion of chatting with Rubberman and seeing if he can come up with a bespoke suggestion, I am sure you are not alone.

Graham

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:32 pm

Thankyou one and all for your very helpful advice, when im next at the hospital il have a chat about a water friendly leg.

I did pick up a cheap pair of waders with neoprene feet for when a drysuit isnt required, will come in handy for launching and getting out of the kayak plus I can modify them so I can use both the left and right wader on my right leg (so 2 for the price of 1 I guess) and after the warnings from fellow members concerning trousers with feet filling with water, that was something that had not crossed my mind, if i do have to make a wet exit at least a single wader on the right leg should not be such a scary situation.

Tried a few kayaks, couldnt get into them, however an old dagger charlston was a perfect fit and easy access, now produced as an islander bolero... so getting there.

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Chris, unfortunately the nature of my amputation and resulting stump and the leg required makes your idea impossible. Would of been perfect for a standard amputation.

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi Daryl,

just a thought...where are you based?
Bearing in mind you are new to the kayaking it may be worth seeing if there are any paddlers local to you who would be interested in going out with you for the first few times as a bit of a safety net and who may be able to give you a bit of advice/pointers. Failing that it is well worth joining a local club.

Rog.

Ian_Montrose

Post by Ian_Montrose » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 am

I manage all year round in my drysuit, as do quite a few friends of mine. The suit itself generally doesn't provide much insulation and I adjust the under layers as sea/air temperature requires. On those occasions where I find myself getting a bit on the warm side I dunk my hat in the abundant supply of coolant surrounding my kayak and that quickly cools me down. I've got a wardrobe full of assorted dry tops and bottoms but haven't used anything other than the drysuit for years so maybe give that approach a try yourself before splashing out on dry trousers that will probably not fulfill your expectations anyway.

CM2

Post by CM2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:04 pm

Sorry for the bump only just seen this.

I also wear my drysuit year round, though I in Scotland it is rare to be too warm

I have no experience of these but could this be an alternative, apparently guaranteed to keep you dry.

http://www.hammond-drysuits.co.uk/broke ... over.html