Carbon Paddle

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
kayakbiker

Carbon Paddle

Post by kayakbiker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:46 pm

I've been considering upgrading my basic standard euro paddle to a carbon paddle but there seems to be so much choice on the market. I quite like the look of the Celtic pro range and wonder if anyone has any feedback on them. I also like the Werner range although they are expensive. I'm after a light durable paddle and for something that will last if cared for properly.
Thanks

MikeB

Re: Carbon Paddle

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Celtic paddles are essentially what used to be Lendal. Between my wife and I, we have four sets in various constructions, with our main paddles both being full carbon, cranks. Catherine had Werners for a while and sold them in favour of a nice set of Lendals she came across. I tried a set of Werners some years ago and found I much preferred Lendals.

This said, there are many people I paddle with who use Werners and seem happy with them. Many people have also had problems of one form or another with the joints. From my perspective, the PadLok system is unbeatable.

As with all things, Try, Try and try a few. Mike

twopigs

Post by twopigs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm

What MikeB says .....

I have a set of Werner Shuna paddles - carbon shaft with glass blades - and thought them wonderful until I got a set of Celtic 4 piece cranks. The joint allows you to vary the feather angle in 15 degree steps - but not adjust the length.

If you want a set of Werner Corryvrechans - full carbon on a straight shaft I think I know where I can get them - at about half price. But you need to be a big shouldered paddler as the blades are large. The joint I have allows continuous variation of the feather angle and for you to vary the length over 10 cm - so mine are quoted as 208 -218 cm.
Canoeing - bigger boat, broken paddle, more skill!

Mrstratos61

Post by Mrstratos61 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Just treated myself to Werner shuna carbon.upgrade from Werner skagit. The lack of weight is pronounced. The skagit lock button did seize once but sorted with a flush of water. I found the shuna made me go high angle style .more speed for similar effort. Simply put they feel like a quality product and enhance my enjoyment

Daker

Post by Daker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:36 pm

twopigs wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm
If you want a set of Werner Corryvrechans - full carbon on a straight shaft I think I know where I can get them - at about half price.
Could you possibly send me details of this as Im in the market for something just like that ?
Thanks a lot.

Northern Blue

Post by Northern Blue » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:20 pm

I took advice from MikeB back in 2013 and bought a 4 piece cranked carbon Celtic Pro, with VariPaddlok and it's an excellent paddle, with adjustable feather and length.

kayakbiker

Post by kayakbiker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi There
I would be interested in the corryvreckan too especially if they are reasonably priced. Thanks for details.

Irish Sea

Post by Irish Sea » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm

]Maybe have a look at VE paddles, too. A couple of my buddies paddle them and are all very happy. They look and feel like a very high quality paddle.

http://vepaddles.com/sea-kayak/

seawolf856

Post by seawolf856 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:47 pm

Don't buy anything until you have looked at (or tried) a VE paddle. Expensive but awesome. I know there are lots of VE users out there who will agree. Have a look at the Douglas Wilcox review.

Jim

Post by Jim » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:57 pm

I've been a big fan of Lendal paddles for years, slightly less of a fan of Celtic paddles (I don't feel the finish is as good as it was under Lendal) but they are still what I use for sea kayaking (mostly Lendals which are still going strong). The Kinetic touring blades are good for all day use, try some and find out what size and shaft suit you best. A lot of people choose blades that are too big, given the speed I can get out of my Taran with kinetic touring blades (mid size I thnk), I can no longer see why most people would need bigger blades like the Nordkapp - only super fit, really strong paddlers are going to be able to make effective use of them. Archipelago or kinetic tour are the way to go.

Since I started slalom I have discovered that there are more powerful paddles available for that kind of thing so I have moved away from Lendal for that, but it is quite a different kind of paddling where I want explosive power but only need it for up to 2 minutes or so at a time - there is no way I could use my slalom paddles for a long distance sea trip.

Werner, Epic, VE, AT and probably loads of others do perfectly good carbon paddles, but there will be subtle differences in blade shape, shaft geometry and shaft stiffness - the only real way to find the perfect paddle is to try all of them, but that usually isn't feasible so just try until you find one that you click with right away and get that!

rockhopper

Post by rockhopper » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:09 am

Another vote for VE paddles.. I had Werners for years but have found VE's to be much more to my liking and style of paddling. The air pocket in the core of the blade also helps find the water surface when rolling. Great service too.

Rog.

Daker

Post by Daker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 am

Interesting all the positive comments about VE.
Out of interest, the bulge / pocket on the rear of the blade - are you not aware of that when doing sculling or similar strokes ?

Im no paddle designer but would have instinctively thought a smooth surface to be better ? (Notwithstanding the need to stiffen the blade somehow.)

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Daker wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:22 am
Interesting all the positive comments about VE.
Out of interest, the bulge / pocket on the rear of the blade - are you not aware of that when doing sculling or similar strokes ?

Im no paddle designer but would have instinctively thought a smooth surface to be better ? (Notwithstanding the need to stiffen the blade somehow.)
Never tried the kayak paddles (and probably won't now because I understand the geometry of the crank is similar to a type I know I don't get on with), but I use the VE C1 paddle for slalom and can confirm the that the air core makes no difference, compared to a flat/curved blade, to the feel of the paddle when slicing a recovery, doing bow rudders, cross bow rudders and cross bow sliced recovery. My C1 roll starts on the face of the blade but most of the effective part of the stroke is done on the back, the air core doesn't affect that either.

It is probably less efficient than a fully foam cored blade which is smooth on both faces, but more efficient than a typical solid blade with a spine down the back. I was surprised at the difference in power I can feel using a Celtic Kinetic Xti with a solid blade and spine on the back, compared to a double dutch kinetic with the same plan form and area but foam cored with completely smooth face and back - the DD gives me a noticeable amount more. However, as I already said, I don't think most people need more powerful blades on the sea, so if you were to go for a full foam core it might be worth coupling it with even less blade area. If you extrapolate far enough you might well end up with a greenland stick...

jk88

Post by jk88 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:03 am

I will be selling my corryvreckan 215, once I have found a replacement. It's in great condition and selling it because I find in too powerful. Looking for £200 ono