ACCESS – PLEASE, everyone fill this in.

Inland paddling
DaveBland

ACCESS – PLEASE, everyone fill this in.

Post by DaveBland » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:23 pm

If you have ever posted on this site on an 'access' related post, you really should be looking to do this BC Survey.

https://goo.gl/forms/d91UCOulgEsFKdlC3 is based on this?

BC are looking for a big response and to be fair this seems to be the best option to influence policy rather than just bitching about it on a forum.
dave

neonbowhawk

Re: ACCESS – PLEASE, everyone fill this in.

Post by neonbowhawk » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:00 pm

Done it

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Done. Jason

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Done!

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Highlandcow

Post by Highlandcow » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:25 am

Done

Pat R

Post by Pat R » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Done. Let's get this spread far and wide! Your mates, your club etc. Probably the best opportunity to get access clear in law. This could eventually improve things in England too.

CraigR62

Post by CraigR62 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:06 pm

Done. The question on would you be prepared to pay per session made me chuckle. Do they ask ramblers to pay per walk ?

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:25 am

Do they ask ramblers to pay per walk ?
Ramblers do pay for car parking and toilets, which is different altogether than paying for 'access'. I thought they were changing the wording on that question.

Franky

Post by Franky » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Chris Bolton wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:25 am
Ramblers do pay for car parking and toilets
I regularly ramble without paying for either. If I have to pay to park my car in a convenient spot I'm happy to do so, but I rarely have to. When I do, the toilets are usually free.

stonercanoe

Post by stonercanoe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:21 am

If a land owner created a new access point and parking I would pay to park and access to the river bank. Not paying to paddle the river.
National Trust own the car park at Porth yr Ogof in South Wales people park there for convenience to walk the waterfalls walk and to go caving. A mini bus is £7.00
Jason

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Paying or not paying - isn't that all part of the point of the survey?
Each will have their own opinion.
To be fair the actual detail reasonably clearly says that any money would go to the upkeep of access points n stuff not for access itself.

Please spread the good word on this survey and encourage all your padding mates to fill it in. It really does feel like a pretty good opportunity to influence something towards the access custerf@ck we have now.

MORE IMPORTANTLY... if it's hardly filled in by any paddlers, it looks like we can't be arsed about access and are just a bunch of whiners on the internet. There are dozens if not hundreds of comments this forum [from me too] about useless BCU / BC and what do they do for access and they never ask the opinion of the common paddler etc.

Well it's here, so bloody well fill it in. Please pretty please ;)
dave

bouncyboatbloke

Post by bouncyboatbloke » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:41 pm

Done.Admirable objectives, however I don't see even the Welsh government winning out in a bun fight with the Rambliars, and C.L.A.
Mike

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:22 pm

You may be right but at least if we actually fill in and nothing changes, we have the right to carry on whinging about it for years.
dave

bouncyboatbloke

Post by bouncyboatbloke » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:03 pm

DaveBland wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:22 pm
You may be right but at least if we actually fill in and nothing changes, we have the right to carry on whinging about it for years.
Unfortunately governments are past masters at leading people up the garden path with their hinting of a promised golden age to come, only it never quite works out that way,but they do get a good idea of the strength of grass roots reaction to such proposals and whether they should be taken seriously, cynical ? yes, but that's the way these people work, object for sure,but perhaps tinge any optimism with a pinch of realism.
Mike

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:26 pm

I appreciate everyone's cynicism. I have a similar view in terms of optimism about any result but what really matters is that there is a big response rather than what the response is. The Welsh Assembly will do what they will do, regardless – but if there is a big response, they are more likely to see paddlers as playing a significant role. If there is a tiny response, paddling interests are more likely to be overlooked.
dave

BC Waterways Env

Post by BC Waterways Env » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:16 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, and thanks for the amazing response so for to the survey and consultation.

Just a note to make - this is very much a joint effort between BC and Canoe Wales - and the survey and the consultation documents have been put together by Steve at Canoe Wales! There are a few organisations working hard to get people involved, notably also Waters of Wales. It seems between us all we are getting paddlers involved - but we always need more people involved.

I recognise people's cynicism/wariness. We've been following the Welsh Government through the process of various consultations for a few years now. However, this is more a sign of the way changes like this happen through Government. It does seem there is a real willingness from Welsh Government to recognise the issues and make changes. This is the first consultation that's focused on solid proposals - rather than more general ideas or aspirations. And the outlined changes are good - they broadly achieve confirming in law something very akin to the PRN we have claimed exists already - but enshrined in new legislation to remove any doubt.

Chris - chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk

Ken_T

Post by Ken_T » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm

Done, Ken

CraigR62

Post by CraigR62 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Apologies if bringing ramblers into the thread has offended anyone. The reason for the comparison is the ability to enjoy your pastime without affecting the environment of leaving any trace of your activity.

To pay for parking or toilet facilities to be able to accomplish this would not be a problem for many paddlers I am sure. The comparison also relates to old byelaws that have preserved public footpaths and yet water access rights have been contested to such an extent we are in this current predicament. Any challenge be it Welsh or English is a great cause to be supported.

RichA

Post by RichA » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Done. One of the better surveys. Would be keen to see results published when it's complete.

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Done. Serial whinger.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”