Who has rights to launch from portage in fishing season, anglers or kayak? New to sport need advice please.

Inland paddling
Crummock

Who has rights to launch from portage in fishing season, anglers or kayak? New to sport need advice please.

Post by Crummock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:00 pm

New to kayaking.

Been out several times during past few months, but first day of fishing season all 3 of my 'usual' launch sites on the river were occupied by anglers. On 2 of the sites, the anglers had set up on portage which had been constructed by a local canoe hire company. What is the rule if boaters want to get out at that portage but there's anglers there already?

There were no local angling club signs on the portage, but there was one on a mill 'pond' I prefer. Does that mean I'm not allow d to launch from that mill 'pond'? The local canoe hire company uses it and I've seen other kayakers there before.

Also what is the etiquette with anglers? I don't want to upset anyone obviously. I drove around to find an alternative launch site and luckily found one (and had my first capsize there as it wasn't great, very muddy bank!😄) but surely I can't ask the mill pond anglers if I could just quickly launch if thy budge along a bit for 2 minutes whilst I get in?

I've looked on both angling and canoe and official body websites for advice but can't seem to find anything specific about who has rights over using portage during fishing season, or if it's bad manners to ask an angler if I can just quickly get in my boat where he's camped out at.

I have my BCU licence.

I'm a woman, so judging by the amount of times male passers by only have offered to help me load/unload my kayak from my car roof, or help me launch, or advise where's safest to paddle, I know there's co-operation and good manners on the river banks. I'm just very nervous of upsetting anglers.
I grew up on the grand union canal near Watford and still remember fishing season and being told to stay off the towpath by anglers 'or else we'll tell the lock kipper' (he was a wild one 😄and we thought they meant kipper not keeper!)

Thankyou in advance for any advice.

morsey

Re: Who has rights to launch from portage in fishing season, anglers or kayak? New to sport need advice please.

Post by morsey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Normally just say hello, and get out/in swiftly without disturbing too much.

There are a bunch of rules about not supposed to fish on weir blocks and on steps etc. but to be honest most people can deal with sharing the landing stages.

Public access points are public access points.

BC Waterways Env

Re: Who has rights to launch from portage in fishing season, anglers or kayak? New to sport need advice please.

Post by BC Waterways Env » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 am

What river/canal is this on - assuming from your post this is a managed waterway (CRT / Environment Agency or similar?).

There are no hard and fast rules. The main place CRT like to try and discourage canoeists and anglers is at lock approaches where powered craft need access to get on/off their boats, but even at most of there's there's plenty of room to share so long as the primary purpose of the space is kept in mind.

Our view would be that there's little benefit in making any particular space for one user group only. However, if you were an angler using what is obviously a portage point (or a canoeists accessing at what is obviously a fishing peg) you'd hope people to allow you to launch easily - certainly not making you need to get on at a point where you end up in the water because it's tricky! Maybe giving them a bit of time if they are mid catch etc!

If you encounter this again, if after politely reminding it is a portage point you find people unwilling to let you launch/egress, give us a shout with the location. CRT are extending their #ShareTheSpace campaign to take in the water itself now too, so we are working closely with them on that. Issues like this will be central to it. There's always a way for us all to share pontoons, portage points, banksides etc so long as we all treat each other with respect. If there's any examples of that not happening we'll follow up.

Best wishes

Chris - W&E Officer, chris.page@britishcanoeing.org.uk