Sport only travel insurance

Inland paddling
Poke

Sport only travel insurance

Post by Poke » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:26 pm

I already have some reasonable general travel insurance through my bank for things like baggage/cancellation etc.

All I need is insurance to cover the activities I'm undertaking whilst on holiday (in this instance, the French Alps - the bank only covers kayaking up to grade 3, there's no mention of via ferrata etc, so just need one-off insurance to cover those activities)

Is it possible to get such insurance (perhaps as per the skiing insurance you can buy when getting your lift pass), or am I barking up the wrong tree.

Also, in terms of insurance that includes Via Ferrata - does anyone have any recommendations for companies that will insure this for a reasonable price?

All advice appreciated!
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

TheEcho

Re: Sport only travel insurance

Post by TheEcho » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:36 pm

What do you actually need insuring relating to these activities? Rescue, immediate medical costs, repatriation will be covered by annual membership of the Austrian Alpine Club. They also don't care about pre existing conditions so can be a real bargain. It won't cover your kit - your bank insurance might though.

RichA

Post by RichA » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:08 pm

When I read your post I immediately thought of AAC as well. I use them for climbing trips, but don't actually know if they cover other sports. I suspect they would, but worth checking. Annual membership with the AAC, and then £5-10 per trip of normal travel/baggage insurance works out well for me.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:50 pm

They do cover white water boating, via ferrata trips, canyons...

http://aacuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/ ... ok.pdf.pdf

Ian R Lambert

Post by Ian R Lambert » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:04 pm

I just checked with my bank for a similar trip. Nat West/. RBS offer cover with my current account including kayaking up to Gde 3. I can extend this for a year to include "hazardous" activities which includes Gde 5. There are exclusions so rock climbing may not be covered.........( unless integral to the kayaking!). Cost for 12 months hazardous £60 which I think may cover the family but I need to check and includes personal and equipment. Trip specific quotes from various insurers for say 2 weeks is probably around £30 pp (e.g. LV).

Jim

Post by Jim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:55 am

Check with your bank if you can extend their cover to grade 5, Like Ian I am with Natwest and pay something like £30 or 40 per year to extend my free insurance (well I have a fee paying account so its not totally free) for trips up to 30 days at a time.

Poke

Post by Poke » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Last time I checked with the bank (HSBC) they couldn't increase the cover for dangerous sports, and the people I spoke to had never heard of Via Ferrata (this was last year).
Same with LV actually, think Via Ferrata must be pretty niche so not often listed on insurance schedules of activities.
Dogtag do list it, but say you have to be guided (i'm not sure how you could get lost! ;-)
Last year I went with Snowcard, but they're so expensive these days, I wanted to see if there was a sensible alternative.

I've ended up going for AAC membership. Slightly more pricey than a bank insurance extension at £50 for individual or £88 for family cover. On the bright side now my 1 year old is covered for grade 5 kayaking and mountaineering ascents up to 6000m. Better get him in training. haha.

Chris.d.w

Post by Chris.d.w » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Just booked with STA the premier option specifies via ferrata and kayaking upto grd 5. And mountain biking.

Was quite reasonably priced.

Poke

Post by Poke » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:58 am

Chris.d.w wrote:Just booked with STA the premier option specifies via ferrata and kayaking upto grd 5. And mountain biking.

Was quite reasonably priced.
Good find. Just had a look. Gotta be careful with the small print with them.

If the kayaking is the main purpose of your trip, it looks like you can't just buy the main premier policy... you also need to get the sport specific add-on, or something like that...
STA wrote:If any of these activities are the main purpose of your journey, or the main
activity for a period of time within it, you will only be covered if you purchase
the appropriate Sports trip / Winter sports policy or add on for example
https://www.magroup-online.com/STA/GB/E ... remier.pdf

If you have that though it looks OK. Still, in my case it still ended up being more pricey than AAC membership (without investigating the extra sport add-on)...

Got to be careful with the small print, especially on the some of the super-cheap policies (not getting at STA here in particular). One I saw once said they covered kayaking up to grade 5, but in the small print excluded personal accident and search&rescue, or something along those lines... utterly ridiculous.

Chris.d.w

Post by Chris.d.w » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 am

I read that bit too, but I'm pretty sure they mark the activities in two ways. One as you mentioned above (marked with an asterisk), the other (which includes kayaking) is marked with a triangle with just specifies that it doesn't cover anything off shore.

Via ferrata for example is marked with an asterisk, but im only likely to do that once or twice. Hopefully I haven't made a bad choice with STA.

Its a a bit of a mission finding this insurance isn't it! Snowcard and Dogtag have got quite pricey. but I suppose its because of the lack of confusion in regards to what is covered with sports.

I used MPI for winter sports earlier in the year. They seemed good for that as they blanket cover everything including off piste non guided to avoid confusion. Good price too.

Mike A

Post by Mike A » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:41 pm

Alpha covered me in alaska quite reasonably.

Poke

Post by Poke » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Mike A wrote:Alpha covered me in alaska quite reasonably.
Not of interest to everyone, but it looks like they don't cover via ferrata...
http://www.alphatravelinsurance.co.uk/activity-packs/

Also, on the same page they bizzarely say that:
Canoeing/Kayaking* (grades 4-6 – Excluding White Water) - Activity Pack 3
Canoeing/Kayaking* (White Water Grades 1-3) - Activity Pack 1

(*) indicate these do not have Personal Accident or Personal Liability Cover
Not quite sure what they mean by this, but how can you get grade 4-6 kayaking, without it being whitewater?

Also, if they're not insuring Personal Accident or Personal Liability Cover for kayaking, what are they actually covering?

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:16 am

They also say they cover adventure racing, Ironman & triathlon, but NOT:
"Activities for any purpose other than leisure (examples of non-leisure purposes include racing, timed events..."

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.

Franky

Post by Franky » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Poke wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:58 pm
Not quite sure what they mean by this, but how can you get grade 4-6 kayaking, without it being whitewater?
I'm guessing that the person compiling the table misread "White Water Grades 1-3" as "White Water, i.e. Grades 1-3", and assumed grades 4-6 weren't white water. (You'd have thought somebody would check these things.) In other words, it's separating out grades 1-3 (covered in all policies as part of Activity Pack 1) from 4-6 (covered only by Activity Pack 3). So I'm guessing that you are "covered" for grades 4-6 except that
they're not insuring Personal Accident or Personal Liability Cover for kayaking
As for:
, what are they actually covering?
- I don't know - loss of equipment? Or would that be covered under your normal holiday insurance?

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:42 pm

I was with LV in NZ and they paid for my repatriation when I dislocated my shoulder
With true traveller now and they have paid out well over £20,000 for the medical costs associated with me getting malaria then contracting a blood infection in hospital, and then needing follow up appointments for medical issues i didnt know i had but found out about in hospital! reccomended true traveller!

MikeVeal

Post by MikeVeal » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 am

Be careful with standard policies. Many will cover dangerous activities, but not if they are the main purpose of your trip.

Try the Airsports Insurance Bureau. I use them for Paragliding, they are (were) based in Cowes. They're a broker, family firm, last time I used them the policy was with Harrison Beaumont. AIB do a lot more than just broker though. They have a reputation for making sure things go smoothly when search, rescue and emergency medical repatriation are required.

It is possible to get a sports only policy. That's important as if you insure other aspects of your travel twice, the insurers will argue over who pays out.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”