Recommend me a Spraydeck

Inland paddling
T00mm

Recommend me a Spraydeck

Post by T00mm » Wed May 17, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi,
Took up Kayaking at the start of the year, I've been paddling 6 hours a week. I picked up a cheap Riot Dominatrix and a very cheap and used Carbon Paddle.
Friends of mine have lent me various clothing, Palm Cag with built in spray deck and Peak Cags. Trousers and so forth

I've noticed the Spraydeck with the built in Cag is leaking some what. I understand the Riot Dominatrix probably isn't the right kayak for the distances i've been travelling but whilst i'm still learning and its not broken i'm in no hurry to replace it.

However.
The cag with the built in spray deck leaks. I am getting quite soggy after a couple of hours paddle. No massive puddles in the kayak or anything but I've only paddled rivers.

I am looking to replace the spraydeck and i was wondering what would be the best bet in your opinions and experience.
I am looking for a whitewater style spraydeck as i'm enjoying grade 2 sections a lot.

Is there any brands I should stay away from? Brands which are good value? Due to my low experience I am looking for advice.

Thanks

hamster86

Re: Recommend me a Spraydeck

Post by hamster86 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:20 pm

I've been using a budget yak one for a good while and it's been Bob on. Not leaked at all and comfy around the waste. I found my pyranha one a pig to get on the kayak. I've got a whitewater peak uk going cheap. Won't fit my boat. (Keyhole/ medium waste)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MaverickvRS

Post by MaverickvRS » Wed May 17, 2017 2:08 pm

I've got 2 playboater decks and a palm one - they all seem to work really nicely - all neoprene.

Might upgrade at some point to a Peak one, but no need at the moment!

Poke

Post by Poke » Wed May 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Not 100% sure, but think that the Riot boats of that era all had quite small cockpits. When you buy a new deck, make sure that it’s the right size for the boat. http://www.skirtfit.com/whitewater/riot/

As for a budget deck, so long as it is neoprene you’re all good. As a beginner, I’d probably aim for a deck with elastic cord rather than rubber band (rand) to form the seal around the cockpit rim, but it tends to be the more expensive ones that are rand decks so you should be good.
Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

hamster86

Post by hamster86 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:03 pm

I've just ordered a new dm one from desperate measures. Decent price. Everyone spoke to says they are really good

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T00mm

Post by T00mm » Wed May 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Poke wrote:Not 100% sure, but think that the Riot boats of that era all had quite small cockpits. When you buy a new deck, make sure that it’s the right size for the boat. http://www.skirtfit.com/whitewater/riot/

As for a budget deck, so long as it is neoprene you’re all good. As a beginner, I’d probably aim for a deck with elastic cord rather than rubber band (rand) to form the seal around the cockpit rim, but it tends to be the more expensive ones that are rand decks so you should be good.

You are indeed correct, it is a small cockpit, Quite a few spray decks I've looked at looked at only come in the bigger sizes. I've never thought mine was particularly small or hard to get into either.

Don't necessarily need it to be budget, Whats the real difference between the cheaper one to the most expensive?

ali

Post by ali » Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 pm

I've got a dominatrix and you do need a smaller deck. Mine is a peak UK deck which actually says riot as the cockpit size. Looking at the website I can't see that size but if you contacted peak UK they would be able to tell you if the small deck is the one for a riot dominatrix.

T00mm

Post by T00mm » Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 pm

ali wrote:I've got a dominatrix and you do need a smaller deck. Mine is a peak UK deck which actually says riot as the cockpit size. Looking at the website I can't see that size but if you contacted peak UK they would be able to tell you if the small deck is the one for a riot dominatrix.
spent easily 4 hours searching for one to fit my awkward cockpit size.
Ended up buying a Peak UK deck which advertises that it fits specifically for Riot kayaks. It was a toss up between that or a Manic.
Its a shame as I would of liked a bit more choice, some hardcore spraydecks and Cagdecks on offer.

Alec

Post by Alec » Thu May 18, 2017 5:51 pm

If I remember right the Riot cockpit was a different size and shape to everyone else and you did have to buy Spraydecks that were Riot specific if you wanted to stay dry.

cathalferris

Post by cathalferris » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:56 pm

I used use my polo deck on the club Glide when I was doing the undergrad in university, the standard WW decks of the time were definitely too large and just didn't work.
Enjoy the Dominatirix - it's a lovely boat and absolutely brilliant on a clean wave - either a river or surf wave. I'm only a little jealous, but I'm too heavy for that boat at the moment!

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:21 pm

I like my Seals one. Had it for about 6 or 7 years and still as good as new. No idea how much they are in UK though. Cheap here.

They do have a good function on their website that you put the boat in and it tells you what size deck to fit it.

Hope that helps

EDIT: Just checked and it says "Made to order" for a Dominatrix.

Sorry. No help at all...
dave