italian words

Inland paddling
david glasswell

italian words

Post by david glasswell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 am

anyone know if theres a glossary of italian/english kayak terms out there?
ckfiumi is great but my italian is very basic and online dictioaries dont understand kayaking

Slime

Re: italian words

Post by Slime » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 am

There is an easily missed 3 page glossary in the back of WW South Alps guidebook. English, French, Italian, German. Put together by Ian Beecroft with a deviant sense of humour - here's a couple of entries -

play-hole/playspot trou à chandelles buco per giocare Spielwalze, -stelle - section of water used by over-grown children for water play with rubber and plastic toys. Those playing should beware the enticements of 'camera vultures'

pop-out chandelle candela Kerze - old school rodeo aerial move requiring high volume boat

portage portage trasbordo Umtragung - favourite activity of canoeists: not so popular with rafters. Wise boaters portage when in doubt

Happy paddling,
Pete Knowles, Rivers Publishing.

david glasswell

Post by david glasswell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 am

must have changed it so, mine has french in south alps book and german in the north alps and italian in neither

david glasswell

Post by david glasswell » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 am

was kinda disconcerted when one of the italian river guides i was reading described a river as having ample "death" . im assuming from the context it meant dead water or eddies but it'd be nice to know for sure. was hoping for an online one cos i'm not likely to buy the book again now that ive run pretty much everything in it

Franky

Post by Franky » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm

david glasswell wrote:was kinda disconcerted when one of the italian river guides i was reading described a river as having ample "death" . im assuming from the context it meant dead water or eddies but it'd be nice to know for sure. was hoping for an online one cos i'm not likely to buy the book again now that ive run pretty much everything in it
I'd guess somebody mistyped "depth". Makes a lot more sense in the context (one would hope).