Splits - If not why not?

Inland paddling
Adrian Shanahan

Splits - If not why not?

Postby Adrian Shanahan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm

I've noticed more and more in recent years fewer white water paddlers carry splits.

Do you carry splits, if not why not?

What's you split paddle of choice?

Pyro

Re: Splits - If not why not?

Postby Pyro » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Still carry an old Lendal 4-piece when in my creek boat. Don't in my river runner (GTX) because I'm close to the top end of the weight limit and it starts handling squirrely if I'm loaded with extra kit.
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

morsey

Postby morsey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:28 pm

There is no need for most of the time.

DaveBland

Postby DaveBland » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:02 am

morsey wrote:There is no need for most of the time.

Agree. Although in an attempt to flesh out why...

Most rivers are walkable outable off. Certainly in the UK, where a brief climb up a bank finds you a few yards from Mrs Miggin's cafe or the pub. In the very unlikely event you bust a paddle, okay your day is spoilt, but you don't need to have a spare. Half the time you could run back to the car and grab a spare anyhoos.

On rivers where it's a bit more committing, then yes a spare or two in a group is a good idea. Makes sense to split up the extra luggage between a group then.

For me the main reason I don't carry one is weight. I like to have as light a boat as possible. And I use VEs which don't break.
dave

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:04 am

What Dave said, I usually only carry splits where a hike out would be a nightmare but I have plenty of sets since I use them whenever I fly.

Until a couple of years ago I hadn't lost or broken a paddle for nearly 20 years, when I messed up on the Travo and felt my shaft break across my chest whilst briefly pinned upside down in a boulder garden. Fortunately I had my splits (the pieces disappeared and it looked a bit too siphony to risk too much looking for them), unfortunately my ribs were way too sore to be running something that physical so I ended up having to tackle the nightmare hike out anyway, fortunately it happened above what I understand to be the only place this is possible....

shanclan

Postby shanclan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:19 am

I always keep a set in the back of my boat. When someone turns up without a paddle, or someone in the group swims and loses a paddle, it can make a pleasant trip into an unpleasant faff.

Chalky723

Postby Chalky723 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 am

I keep a set in the boot of the car. That covers any forgetfulness & suffices if anyone loses a paddle in the UK. If I was "in the wilds" then they'd be in the boat, not required in most of the UK.

D
Waka Tuna Mk1, Jackson Allstar.

morsey

Postby morsey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 am

shanclan wrote:make a pleasant trip into an unpleasant faff

The essence of a club trip.

feedbackproblem

Postby feedbackproblem » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:58 am

I spent a long time mulling my options when buying a set of splits before finally opting for a split version of the VE paddle I usually use. The logic for me is that eventually I will break or lose my paddle and at that point I won't have to rely on a dodgy set of wobbly splits to get down the rest of a river that I'm assuming will be quite challenging seeing as I've somehow ended up without a paddle. I'll also be able to continue to use the splits as my main paddle indefinitely after that so there won't be any paddling hiatus whilst I get a new paddle sorted out.

They sit pretty permanently in the back of my boat. I took them out the other week at the Washburn when I knew I'd be lugging my boat back up the path several times but ordinarily the weight difference is fairly negligible so I'd need a good reason to not take them.

SimonMW

Postby SimonMW » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Because it is required on an inland 4 star white water assessment, along with a four man tent, full cooking utensils and food supply for a week, spare clothes, flask, flare kit, UHF radio, first aid kit, de-fib, oxygen supply, Morrisons Discount card, throwline, sling, prussiks, two for one packet of Mars bars, and a river knife.

Colin C

Postby Colin C » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:35 pm

As part of the group stuff split amongst the full team makes me ask, why not, as its not a big deal to take some.

Colin

LucyLou19

Postby LucyLou19 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Would depend on how commiting the run is and who you were with.

DaveBland

Postby DaveBland » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:55 am

cuz that's weight that could be used for an emergency beer. And unlike splits, pretty much every trip seems to have a situation demanding immediate deployment of said kit.
dave

morsey

Postby morsey » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:37 pm

Stikine river wasn't done in a day carrying excessive kit. It was done with an assessment of speed becoming a functionality of safety. The alpine theory of climbing is similar, small lightweight efficient units.

If you very rarely capsize on rivers like the Upper Dart and are frequently descending them in well under an hour, or do laps on rivers where you'll repeatedly carry your boat for ten/twenty minutes and do that four or five times then you'll not be wanting to carry excess. You'll accept that a broken paddle equals C1 or hand paddle to the get out or a walk, which you'll do to the nearest point, pick up a spare pair from the car and join for next laps.

There is no right or wrong though, it's your choice and whatever suits you is for you. The example of the '4* Kit requirement' I've seen a few times recently, people struggling to carry heavily laden boats when all around have stripped excess and paddle better as a result! If you're planning big trips, it's worth practicing carrying and paddling your boat laden. And, working out a pad system to save your shoulders from pain.

Mark Dixon

Postby Mark Dixon » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:21 pm

I think carrying splits is a no brainer if you're with an intermediate group, along with a 1st Aid kit. If I'm paddling with mates I'll always check within the group whos got them before we set off and as long as weve got a set between us I'm happy. Sometimes I'll carry hand paddles instead as they dont weigh your boat down much, they are good for grade 3/3+
My splits are Werners the same as my real paddles. If I paddle the RPM its throwline only though, I'll carry out if something bad happens to my paddle.
Nobody means to loose their paddle and having a "Vulcan grip" wont help if it gets jammed between rocks, weve also had paddles broke on the river before so individually weve got to assess the risks and take the consequences if we dont carry splits.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”