Paddle grip

Discuss equipment, technology, gadgets, repairs...
adventureagent

Paddle grip

Post by adventureagent » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Paddle grip:

Information is available on the paddlers span from hand to hand and the angle of the elbow.

I have never seen any info on paddle hand grip
distance from the junction of the shaft/shoulder/throat of the blade, and
how this affects strength / leverage / power.

Any ideas / knowledge/experience is appreciated.

Does this vary from a Euro as against a wing?
CELEBRATE LIFE: PADDLE by ALL MEANS !

ruralweb

Re: Paddle grip

Post by ruralweb » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:18 pm

For a wing paddle used on a surf ski the distance is 4 finger width from the shaft/blade junction.
Mal

pathbrae

Post by pathbrae » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Interesting, I'd never actually thought about paddles from that point of view before. I agree there's not a lot of information around, but perhaps it is so closely related to all the factors involved in choosing a paddle length that it might just be repetition.
I suppose it'll vary with the width of the boat, shape of the blades etc. A wider boat and a low angle blade might need a bit more shaft between the grip and the blade than a high angle blade in a narrow boat.... or not, depending on your paddling style / tecnique
So much sea - so little time to see it.

ruralweb

Post by ruralweb » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:38 pm

You need to think about the depth that the blade is going to be pushed into the water - it should not go deeper than the top of the blade or it will delay the exit and cause drag. In the stroke your hand will always be just above the water surface so 4 fingers is about right.
Mal

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:59 am

adventureagent wrote:Paddle grip:

Information is available on the paddlers span from hand to hand and the angle of the elbow.
If you mean 90 degrees, then a load of rubbish. A lot of YouTubes about it and the elbows are shown at ~70 degrees while the speaker talks about elbows at 90 degrees. They never seem to look at their own videos after shooting them.

You might want to read this -
http://www.kask.org.nz/paddle-length-th ... -consider/

I'd suggest hand spacing is thumbs against hips, then add one extra hand width to each hand. The suggestions for hands to blades distance would seem reasonable.

As for high and low angle paddling, why isn't it called efficient and inefficient paddling?

nigelhatton

Post by nigelhatton » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:40 am

Adventureagent, is your question related to your xp18, if you still have it?

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:41 pm

I paddle almost exclusively with a wing and I change my grip position depending on conditions. On flatter water I will have my hands relatively close, like paddling the K1; but if I need extra power I will tend to move them slightly further out to give me a lower "gearing".

Graham

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:53 pm

nigelhatton wrote:Adventureagent, is your question related to your xp18, if you still have it?
Apologies, Nigel:

I missed your post until this week. I don’t have internet here in the hinterland. I go to town, download, read/review at home, and next trip post a response. Hence the long intervals between my postings/replies.

Point:
Yes, my question about hand spacing / distance from paddle throat relates to paddling my XP 18, or other.

Given your knowledge of lifting, leverage, strength, and paddling, I’m really interested to read your insight on this issue.

I’m 5 ft 9in (whatever that is in Canadian)

I’m using an Epic small/medium wing; burgundy, small diameter shaft, adjustable, 210 to 220 cm.

Love it, except for low bracing, where it seems to offer significantly less support. Which, along with the XP’s flattish bottom, in a beam chop is not as comfy as was my round sectioned Current Designs Expedition. But I’ve only been using a wing for about three years.

I tend to be like GrahamC, in practice; altering my grip span dependent upon circumstances, no matter to what length the paddle is adjusted. I wondered if there’s a “standard” optimal positioning.

adventureagent

Post by adventureagent » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Mac50L wrote:
adventureagent wrote:Paddle grip:

If you mean 90 degrees, then a load of rubbish. A lot of YouTubes about it and the elbows are shown at ~70 degrees while the speaker talks about elbows at 90 degrees. They never seem to look at their own videos after shooting them.

You might want to read this -
http://www.kask.org.nz/paddle-length-th ... -consider/

I'd suggest hand spacing is thumbs against hips, then add one extra hand width to each hand. The suggestions for hands to blades distance would seem reasonable.

As for high and low angle paddling, why isn't it called efficient and inefficient paddling?
Thanks. I did read it.