Whitewater boat for slalom

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
chibb

Post by chibb »

Hi I've never tried slalom before and am hoping to at some point possibly on one of the more informal slalom events. I have a b2 whitewater kayak and wondered whether it's possible to use this type of boat on a slalom course or whether it would be too tall to get under the poles?

I can't buy another boat just want to see what I think of slalom before considering it

Chris Bolton

Re: Whitewater boat for slalom

Post by Chris Bolton »

It won't be a problem. Getting the ends under the poles isn't essential, it won't take much longer to line up the whole boat. At Div 4 the poles are often high anyway. Touching a pole won't stop you finding out what it's about, and there will probably be others in similar boats.

chibb

Post by chibb »

Sounds great thank you. Thinking of trying one of the stone minis but didn't want to turn up and find it a total nightmare.

Conor Buckboy

Post by Conor Buckboy »

the only issues would be that if the organiser is strict about the rules, to enter a boat must be under 4m in length and above 3.5m in length. That's the only real issue I can think of.

John K

Post by John K »

"C7.1.3 Except at British Team and Squad selection races, all whitewater boat types may compete without regard to boat specifications, provided the boat meets all applicable safety requirements as defined in Rule 19."

All the rules are here: http://www.canoeslalom.co.uk/committee/ ... _Rules.pdf

Jim

Post by Jim »

Stone minis will be perfect for you, even at the Div 3/4 event in a couple of months you will find some div 4 paddlers in creek boats.
At the minis you will get to see paddlers from all divisions race (maybe even Joe Clarke) on a handicap basis to give lower division paddlers a chance to win some races.

There has been a bit of discussion about boat specifications on the slalom forum recently - ICF have increased the minimum weight limits (9kg for K1 and C1 and I think 13kg for C2) to make 2-piece boats viable for competitors flying to international events, and UK slalom has adopted the new rule, but noted that boats are only be weighed at divisions 1 and Prem in the UK so it is up to individuals in the lower divisions whether or not they add weight before getting into div 1, if they are lucky enough to have a top spec boat still without repairs :)

Definitely go along and have a go, you will find people of all ages competing and plenty of second hand boat trades if you decide you do like it and want a 'proper' boat.
I don't know how the Stone Minis are run, but there will probably be ample time to practice on the course before the racing starts, and plenty of people willing to give you tips on the best way to approach the gates.
There is a similar series at Alva where they let anyone up to div 2 have free practice for a couple of hours, div 1 get a single practice run, and prem have to race without practice, which means there are usually div 1 and prem paddlers hanging around giving the others tips (and working out their own lines from the bank).