Green Race

Inland paddling
neonbowhawk

Green Race

Post by neonbowhawk » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:49 pm

I've been watching some bits of the green race which looks awesome, I've not seen it before.
Now my question is what is it with the boats they are using? Why are they so much bigger than normal? Is it just for the extra speed? Or are there any other advantages?

Simon

morsey

Re: Green Race

Post by morsey » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:02 pm

Where have you been? The Green is the biggest/best creek boat race in the world. How can you only just be seeing it now? ;-)

There are different categories of boat.
Dagger Green Boat, kinda explains the long boat category.
Boats like the 9R have stemmed from the 9foot cut off to the 'normal' boat category.
Alongside the new green boats you'll see a bunch of old school boats, which are similar length to the new race boats, but with less funky edges and even less rocker.
For canoes (even the planing hills*) length is proportional to speed, longer is faster.
Speed comes at a price when you have technical lead in/Rapids and are going flat out racing as you have to control.

Green race is cool (Watch out for a Brit dude in a 9R at this years race)

*planing speed isn't going to be attained throughout a race like the green.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:16 pm

The green is amazing. On vid the big 3 features look a lot less intimidating than they really are. Before I went, I was thinking that yeah, on a good day if boating okay, I'd give em a shot. When I got there I couldn't even stand near the edge of Gorilla in case I got sucked in off the bank. And as for Sunshine... Plus Go left looked like "Go anywhere and die"

Having said that, the rest of the river [especially for us Brits that like a bit of technical] isn't that bad at all. Even when quite high. We turned up and it was dark, rainy and at 14 inches which is about 200% – it's probably way mellower in the sunshine and at 100%. Even so... it'll take the offer of a LOT of free beer to entice me to run Gorilla etc.

Bit of a rambling post, but it's deffo worth heading the distance for if you have the chance.
dave

morsey

Post by morsey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Adrienne's GoPro footage from her winning run is on Facebook, it's a joy to watch. Speed, control, positioning...

buck197

Post by buck197 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 pm

She beat an awful lot of good male paddlers to make the top ten, well done that lass. I believe she even got spun around just befor the end and still made the top ten.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

morsey

Post by morsey » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Spun out, worked out quickest fix was to reverse out of the eddy, spin on the eddy line and go. It was a lesson in smooth paddling.

If you remember LVM tommy hilleke was gunning for the green race, smashing laps on laps. Adrienne tagged him in the race, says a lot about how awesome a paddler she is.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”