Quad fin Neutron RV in excellent condition.

Riding the waves
Just_Surf

Quad fin Neutron RV in excellent condition.

Post by Just_Surf » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Just 5 days left, it will sell, all of the photos and some video available here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191992913372

Feel free to ask any questions...
You won't know if you don't go...

Daker

Re: Quad fin Neutron RV in excellent condition.

Post by Daker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Unfortunately I do not have space for another boat otherwise I would have been interested in this, purely because I like to try a boat with that fin set-up.
However, I would be interested to hear your views on the benefits or a quad over the standard tri-fin set up, and of course any negatives too ?

As a windsurfer of many years I have seen wave boards 'evolve' from single fin, through twins, tris and on to quads which have pretty much now become the norm for top-end kit these days.

Even as a fairly average wave sailor I can feel that a quad gives me better manoeuvrability on a wave whilst also providing better lift for up-wind sailing so curious to know if the effect is similar in surf boats ?

If so, with the exception of the Ride Mutant, you do have to ask why none of the manufacturers are providing a quad option.

Just_Surf

Post by Just_Surf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:20 am

I think the simple reason that manufacturers don't offer quads is simple, but two-fold; 1) They don't understand them and 2) Kayakers don't understand them and so don't ask for them. It's very easy to experiment as a board surfer, because you can go to your shaper and get the exact board you want made up, but you can't do this with kayaks (though Future had a good go at offering this, but surf kayakers aren't used to experimenting (with a few exceptions)) because it's just too expensive and time/resource intensive.

There are many benefits though, not least of which is the increased maneuverability. Surf kayaks are wide, much wider than your standard surf board, so when you start dynamically turning them, a large area of the hull is lifted clear of the water. In a standard thruster set-up you lift the outer and center fins clear of the water, they contribute nothing to the turn, but when you are running properly set up quads you have two fins in the water on any one turn. This dramatically increases the drive (acceleration) and hold through the turn. For a surfer like me, who is more interested in clean, carving turns than airs, the quad set-up is a no-brainer. You can turn in far more critical sections of the wave, knowing that you are not going to spin out and loose control of that giant ass your kayak has. The extra drive you get through your turns also means you have the speed to carry you back to the lip and make sections you might otherwise not make. In surfing, any surfing, you generate speed through turns, running in a straight line bleeds your speed away (don't confuse board speed with down the line speed here though, sometimes you need to go straight to outrun a section).

I had a great illustration of this recently, when I bought my Edge, which I converted to a quad before I surfed it. After a couple of sessions, one morning I wound up in the line up with the guy I bought it from. It was quite obvious that he was surprised at how I was turning the boat, because he had made the change from his Edge to a Ride boat (that I can't remember the name of) because he wanted more maneuverability (I also think he didn't like rolling the Edge, but I have no probs there either). The bottom line is that quads allow you to be more dynamic with your turns, and that has a huge beneficial effect on your overall surfing performance. However, for someone who has been surfing a thruster for a while, there is a period of adjustment for both the rider and the fins (though no more so than for someone unused to fins getting into a thruster), and it's likely that the feeling of not surfing as well as you are used to will give you a negative impression of quads, but that would be the same for someone trying to set up a thruster for the first time.

Daker

Post by Daker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 am

Many thanks for the detailed reply, it makes interesting reading.

So, have you converted all your boats yourself rather than having them done at the point of manufacture ?
I actually sold a Neutron fairly cheaply recently and in retrospect, adapting it to a quad setup would have been an interesting thing to try.

I would have thought it worth while for Mega + Ride to offer fin configuration options in their boats as surely they are just hand-laminated in so, apart from having to make up a different template, I wouldn't have thought it is particularly extra / harder work to do. Im sure they will read this in due course ! ;-)

Hmmm, you've got me thinking now - - - - -

Just_Surf

Post by Just_Surf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:24 am

No, the Neutron was built as a quad, there is no centre box. I've converted both a Short RRS and my Edge, it's not hard to do if you have a bit of confidence/experience working with cloths and resins. I'd be happy to give you a little help if you ever wanted to try it, photos and lessons learnt will probably help you avoid some potential pitfalls. Mega had no problem doing the quad for me, I just gave them the measurements for where I wanted the boxes, they didn't charge me extra either (but they didn't provide fins, which cancelled out the cost of the extra fin box and extra cloth required), that was in 2007 though.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:59 pm

I'm watching this thread with interest. I'm about to start doing some fairly major repairs to the hull of an X-tec Mustang, & was considering adding a couple of fin boxes to give it the option of a quad set-up while I was there. Any tips / plans would be appreciated (I'm fairly confident working with epoxy / carbon etc.)

G.B.

Just_Surf

Post by Just_Surf » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:26 am

If you message me your email I'll send you a bunch of photos, measurements etc...

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:33 pm

Just_Surf wrote:If you message me your email I'll send you a bunch of photos, measurements etc...
Cheers for that - pm sent.

Just_Surf

Post by Just_Surf » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:47 pm

Sold, I hope, just need the buyer to arrange collection. If anyone else is interested in the mechanics of quads, or in doing their own conversion on a boat, just PM me your email and I'll be happy to send you the stuff you need. Stoked on how many people have had their interests piqued by this topic!