Rolling a surf kayak

Riding the waves
Atoomer

Rolling a surf kayak

Post by Atoomer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi
I have just bought my first surf boat and neutron x.
I havnt been rolling kayaks long but when I roll this kayak the tail is very low in the water at the end of the roll and the roll slows down.
Is this normal or am I a fatty?

frankt377

Re: Rolling a surf kayak

Post by frankt377 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:32 am

Surf kayaks in general tend to have a small arse to keep the nose up for surfing. It's not uncommon for the stern to sit a bit low when stationary, and only rise up once the boat is at speed and surfing.

founds607

Post by founds607 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:33 am

It's perfectly normal if your roll is ending incorrectly, you are leaning back too much wich is altering the trim of the boat and causing you to sink your stern, ensure you lean forward and initiate the roll as a snap and try to end up with you body forward and head close to the cockpit.

goatboy

Post by goatboy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:09 pm

Surfboats & forward finishing rolls are made for each other! If you're really attached to (say) a standard screw roll, try pushing forward into a low brace as soon as you're up.

G.B.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:16 pm

Move the sea forward (1cm or so)?
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Atoomer

Post by Atoomer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks for replys.
Unable to move seat forward as its a fix foam seat and I am pressing right up at front as im a bit tall.

Your right though I do end up leaning backs at the end of a roll so need to practice forward finishing roles unfortunatly I dont have access to a helper so its slow going, i might get my old boat out to first.
I am right on the top weight limit so this cant help! I am dieting now.
Maybe im not ready for it as finding it very tippy and awkward to paddle out would love to meet someone around bournemouth area with interest in kayaking?
Many thanks

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:21 pm

One possibility may be to cut some foam out from the centre pillar, which will give a bit more room for your heels and may allow you to get your body weight just slighly further forward.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / XPlore-X/ My Videos

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:12 pm

What has been described works well in terms of the roll, another way to think of it is when you are rolling up, do as you are currently doing but as you get to the back of the boat cock your wrist and sweep the open drive face to the front of the boat so you are finishing your roll leaning forward, so you are reverse sweeping from the back, some folk call it a combat roll I think.
I found cutting a bit of foam out helps get more comfy but also to get your knees pushed against the sides of the boat, and help your stability, but it gets solid as soon as you are running with the wave.

Colin

yabbadabba

Post by yabbadabba » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Sent you a PM as near the Bournemouth area :-)

Atoomer

Post by Atoomer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Many thanks.
I will cut the foam centre column would make a difference as very tight down there as have size 14 feet!
and will make a note of my knees.
Also thanks for the desciption of the combat roll, I have been sat at the computer desk with my arms outstretched working it out! Will try this weekend.
thanks alot

PM being replied to as of now...