Hey 9R paddlers...

Inland paddling
DaveBland

Hey 9R paddlers...

Post by DaveBland » Wed May 11, 2016 5:44 pm

C'mon, give me the good, the bad and the ugly...

You know reviews always say the usual. What is the real low down? Getting me a demo for the weekend and may be taking it straight onto some interesting stuff right away, so I'm after a heads up on what to expect.
Plus any wisdom on seat position and all that kinda stuff...
dave

DaveWortley

Re: Hey 9R paddlers...

Post by DaveWortley » Wed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm

It makes all other boats feel slow and un-boofy..... Switching to a Habitat 80 felt horrible!

Outfitting is still Pyranha... Wavesport still have way better outfitting.

9RL has a silly location for rear grab handle and bung.

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Thu May 12, 2016 6:31 am

My 1st time I paddled my brand new one was on the East Lyn and after 1/2 mile was wondering if I'd been hasty in buying it but after going through the gorge I was buzzing.
It definately prefers a steeper terrain imo, it doesnt like extras in the back so if you carry gear the 9Rl is way to go. I have my seat with 2 clicks left from back and most I've spoke to has suggested the seat nearer to rear. It can be a bit edgy and will catch you out on theddy line, I think this is be ause the waterline to the cockpit is close to spraydeck.
Good luck, I love mine
Mark

kmac

Post by kmac » Thu May 12, 2016 12:25 pm

It's so fast compared to my Recon I missed eddies either hitting too soon or missing them! Get aggressive with the edge and it turns surprisingly quickly for a 9 footer!

morsey

Post by morsey » Fri May 13, 2016 1:12 am

It's proper light for carrying

Jim

Post by Jim » Fri May 13, 2016 10:17 am

morsey wrote:It's proper light for carrying.
Hmm, I've been spoiling myself with <10kg boats recently, I'm not sure that statement will live up to my expectations :)

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports » Fri May 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Its amazing.
On the stern it can feel like its catching if you plug something then you get the lemon pip effect: Like a lemon pip squeezed between your fingers and you blast off out of the hole. accelerates on landing, has caught me out on tighter technical stuff thats a bit backed up. Needs space to boof, if you are going slow it can catch the stern end a touch off the edge of drops. Solution = go big.
Seat wise I left mine in the middle and I'm small. Prefer the Stout seat version. Less fuss, more solid.
Ewart

SPL

Post by SPL » Sat May 14, 2016 7:50 am

Having demoed a lot of boats recently and decided upon a new nomad I would start by saying its race boat, sure it's very capable and good paddlers will paddle it on all kinds of rivers but it's designed first and foremost to charge and how you get on with it is very dependant on your weight.
At 85kg (naked) I found the medium sat too low on moving water (only ciww) making the boat a bit unresponsive and didnt paddle as it was designed to which is a pity as on the flat it felt sweet.
In the large I felt a bit swamped and as its 4cm wider at 68cm which is pretty average so the boat lost its feeling of being really agile.
So if it fits great and if there was a medium+ size I would have bought one.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 am

Thanks for the advice. Will have to wait til midweek now to try one. Today didn't play out as planned. Upside – forecast is for even better weather so no too upset.
dave

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Sun May 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Went to put my 9R in the van on friday for a trip to Wales and noticed a split widthways at the rear of the boat, mines less than 18 months old and now had 2 splits to deal with, I'm impressed with the boat but its not very well built IMO. My friend paid extra to get a thicker plastic, I am no expert but the plastic should be thick enough to start with?
Just a word of warning if you think of buying one, upgrade the thickness.
Mark

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon May 23, 2016 2:53 am

So finally got to give one a spin – all be it on some easier water. Loooved it. Super fast or what? Need to give it a go on bigger squirly stuff to be sure, but the reviews are bang on.
My only worry is if I have enough energy or fitness to keep paddling it 'actively' all the time. It bites back if you get tired...
dave

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu May 26, 2016 10:37 pm

morsey wrote:It's proper light for carrying.
Happened again :D Light boat, wants to be carried in to play on rivers.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Fri May 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Well R'd.
dave

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:35 am

Rant alert!

So I'd heard quite a few whinges about Pyranha's outfitting, but you know... you hear bad stuff about all manufacturers boats. Daggers are heavy, Liquid logics have unnecessary padding on seats, Jacksons split, – you know the sort of stuff... all a bit true, but well over exaggerated, right?

So when I heard all the moaning about Pyranha outfitting I took it with a pinch of salt. [And it has been a LOT of moaning from many, many paddlers over here.] But I really like Pyranha's boats, and have mostly paddled them over the past 40 years of paddling –so am pretty loyal. Plus, as this thread indicates – I'm quite interested in a 9R. I borrowed one again for the Toby Creek Race last weekend. Wow what a boat! Just the best thing ever.

BUT OMG PYRANHA!! SORT OUT THE MILLION NUTS AND BOLTS AND BITS THAT COME BLOODY LOOSE EVERY TIME THE BOAT IS USED – PLEASE!! I borrowed a boat for the weekend and I literally have a handful of bits rattling around – some of them I don't even know where they came from.
And the footrest. Why do the side fixings come in so narrow?

Like I say I REALLY like Pyranha boats, but the faff of the outfitting is seriously making me consider getting a Zen instead. But it's not as fun a boat.

So, I employe you, good folks in Runcron, have a hard look at the way you build your outfitting into the boats. If I feel like this, there are many other who do too.
dave

morsey

Post by morsey » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:59 am

When you get a new boat from any manufacturer, do up all the nuts and bolts. Even Nylocs come undone with use.
Dagger used to give out a nifty little rachet multitool with boats to be able to check and tighten bolts as on going maintenance.

Dave check the bolts holding the seat in place, behind the hip pads. They are the hidden ones.

Neptune

Post by Neptune » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Dagger still do, I got one with my nice new shiny Red Nomad 8.6 the other week and nipped up all the bolts when outfitting it before putting it on the water. I carry it in my kit back so that I can check them regularly to see that they have not worked loose as they do.

Peter

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks - yeah I can usd locktite or silicon sealant or whatever. Yes I can tighten them - I generally do on any boat - but thats not the point.
Poor product design on the outfitting is the issue.
Several other manufacturers have recognized the importance of simple, reliable ourtfitting innovation, but Pyranha unfortunately seem to still be using their childhood Mechano kits as insperation.
dave

Mat @ Pyranha

Post by Mat @ Pyranha » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:50 pm

Hey Dave,

Appreciate the enthusiasm, I get the same about little niggles with products myself... having some background in engineering though, I always want to get to the root of these little things and develop a solution, that's why when I noticed the footrest attachments in our demo boats and on my own kayaks (9R L and a Z.One L if you're interested!) were coming loose on a semi-frequent basis, I immediately suggested a switch to Nyloc Nuts; we followed the suggestion through, and the time I (and I'm sure many other paddlers) spend on maintenance has been slashed as a result.

That being said, the need for maintenance is still a thing that all kayakers need to get their heads around; we as manufacturers do all we can to eliminate it where possible, but the vast range of outfitting adjustment demanded from paddlers these days means there has to be moving parts in the outfitting, and even with the best design intentions in the world, these are going to add weight and require checking over every now and again.

There are other ways to avoid it though! As some have suggested above, Loctite is a god-send, and that's why we recommend the application of it in our outfitting instruction manuals (we don't apply it in adjustable parts at the factory as this would make those parts a huge pain in the butt to adjust), we also supply Nyloc Nuts with all C4S boats so that if you find you aren't using the on-the-fly adjustment that much, you can replace the nylon wing-nuts with these and remove the need to re-tighten those as frequently, and finally, we've also introduced the Stout Seat option, which gives a simple, solid outfitting option to those who don't want the increased adjustment that C4S offers.

Please feel free to contact us directly with specific suggestions though (marketing@pyranha.com comes straight to myself), and if they can easily be implemented we'll absolutely take them on board! As many of us are paddlers ourselves, and thanks to the extensive testing carried out by Team Pyranha, we do tend to catch most issues, but everyone is different and someone always finds new, weird and wonderful ways to break things, so we're always keen to find ways to prevent each issue, if for nothing more than to make our own time on the water better as well.

Happy paddling!
Current Boats: Machno L, Delphin 155 MKII CLX

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks for the reply Mat! Email sent.
dave

Mat @ Pyranha

Post by Mat @ Pyranha » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Thanks Dave, direct feedback and the opportunity to help out with any issues is always much appreciated!
Current Boats: Machno L, Delphin 155 MKII CLX

enjoyer

Post by enjoyer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 pm

DaveBland wrote:Thanks - yeah I can usd locktite or silicon sealant or whatever. Yes I can tighten them - I generally do on any boat - but thats not the point.
Poor product design on the outfitting is the issue.
Several other manufacturers have recognized the importance of simple, reliable ourtfitting innovation, but Pyranha unfortunately seem to still be using their childhood Mechano kits as insperation.
Blimey, I have to say, it seems "you" have a screw loose.

Realistically, less than a grand is not expensive for a bit of kit.
In real terms, even if the screws leave the factory all checked and tightened, they can work their way loose during transit.
Maybe it's the retailers' responsibility to check them over before selling them on? A car garage will give a vehicle a once over before it's made available to the public. Either way, tightening a few screws isn't really a big deal.

PS :) Now take a deep breath, reflect and http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 12#p751312

PPS I am surprised this issue wasn't resolved after being highlighted with the MK3. I fed lots of constructive comments back through the supplier.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:27 pm

Nyloc nuts are a great solution but care is needed as they need a screwdriver in all the time when they are being tightened. With a Phillips screw head they can easily chew up the cross slots.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:48 am

Hey Enjoyer, I think you missed the main point of my post. My concern wasnt over a few bolts coming loose and me not having tightened them or yse locktite!
For the record I had a great email exchange with Mat at Pyranha - how great that a manufacturer comes on here and communicates.
dave

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:02 am

I just got my 9R back from a free repair weld, I cant fault Pyranhas customer service its great. As Dave says its such a shame they are behind on design, looking through used kayaks there seems to be quite a few split 9Rs for sale recently, maybe this problem has been sorted by offerring thicker plastic boats? For me if thicker plastic is offered then perhaps that should have been designed in from the start??
I bought a Nomad rather than risk another Pyranha, its not as good as the 9R but I have more confidence its not going to break.
Ive never had a problem with the nuts and bolts as I changed everything when I bought my 9R from new, took a while and the stainless screws need to be treated with care but replacements are off the shelf down the hardware store.

Mark

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:19 am

I am sorry, I didn't mean for this to turn into a Pyranha bashing thread. It was a specific comment that's kindly been discussed with Pyranha. They are a great maunfacturer with an amazing boat in the 9R.
dave

Mark Dixon

Post by Mark Dixon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:41 am

DaveBland wrote:I am sorry, I didn't mean for this to turn into a Pyranha bashing thread. It was a specific comment that's kindly been discussed with Pyranha. They are a great maunfacturer with an amazing boat in the 9R.
I think its good they get the feedback, if nobody says anything then nothing gets done, I plan on paddling for many years to come and look forward to getting back into a Pyranha one day once I see the problems disappear. There will be many new models to come, hopefully with better standard features to keep up with other manufacturers.
Mark

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:58 am

enjoyer wrote:
Blimey, I have to say, it seems "you" have a screw loose.

Realistically, less than a grand is not expensive for a bit of kit.
I have an issue with this, a grand is a lot of money and a boat is probably the largest single outlay you'll make in this hobby.

And it's not just that - making the boat is[ the only thing that the manufacturer (any manufacturer, not just Pyranha) does - making and selling boats is their sole reason for existing & it's what makes them their money!

If they can't do it properly then maybe they're in the wrong business??

D
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”