Women specific spray decks???

Inland paddling
mountain_bikerider

Women specific spray decks???

Post by mountain_bikerider » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:41 pm

My wife is looking for a new deck. we have noticed that IR and playboater offer a ladies specific deck. Has anyone out there used one? Was it any better / worse than the men's version? Does anyone know of any other options out there??
On a side note when did decks get so expensive!?!? I don't remember paying over £100 for any of my last three decks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBland

Re: Women specific spray decks???

Post by DaveBland » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:38 pm

Obviously opening myself up to ridicule here… but why? I mean what's the need for a different cut? Or is it a colour thing?
dave

mountain_bikerider

Post by mountain_bikerider » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:39 pm

That's what we are asking I suppose!! They claim they are cut different but just wondered what if any different that makes??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:32 pm

You can get a Lomo deck for about £30 and most decks are around £50, so no need to pay £100.

Hakase

Post by Hakase » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 pm

@OP

As far as I know, the difference is that they have shorter tunnels -- so they don't interfere with any squishy chest matter.

@Colin C

In my experience the Lomo decks are a false economy... Poor quality kit that gives out fast. You also can't rely on them actually being the right size. Can't go wrong with Playboater or IR -- both proper quality kit.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:09 pm

I've got plenty of squishy chest matter & I'm not female!!

I splashed out on an IR deck last year & am more than pleased with it - well worth the loads of dosh. It's light, watertight & more importantly - matches the boat!! ;-)

C
Jackson Nirvana, LL Remix 69, BMW F650GS...

Colin C

Post by Colin C » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:49 pm

In my experience the Lomo decks are a false economy... Poor quality kit that gives out fast. You also can't rely on them actually being the right size. Can't go wrong with Playboater or IR -- both proper quality kit.

Hakase
I was not suggesting buying one just pointing out there are plenty of decks that dont cost £100, my experience of using lots of them in the club, is that they are cheap and cheerful and last a couple of years of club use, but that is beside the point as I was trying to highlight the range of prices.

Colin

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Do the body tubes taper?
Normal men go pretty much straight up with hips and waist near enough the same size, but women have wider hips so it would make sense to account of that. Of course I have the opposite problem I'm wider at the waist than the hips, several of my spraydecks the body tube tends to just roll up down towards my hips.

DaveBland

Post by DaveBland » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:56 pm

On the cost of decks... they are a pretty critical bit of kit. Both in terms of staying dry and staying on, I like the reassurance of a bit of quality.
dave

morsey

Post by morsey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Friend has an IR one, she likes it, due to the tube cut and the ease of putting it on alone, and still being dry.

Paddle-Duo

Post by Paddle-Duo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:49 pm

My husband & I have both had Lomo Neodecks for about 3 years. Both are still water tight and the extra abrasive bit around the front edge is wearing well.

As far as female specific decks - I can't see them making any difference as the velcro adjustable twin waist of your drysuit / drycag should be what's used to get a good comfy fit around your hips/waist area.

Cheers
Fiona

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”