Boat Couriers ?

Riding the waves
Daker

Boat Couriers ?

Post by Daker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Anyone know of any courier companies still offering to carry boats at sensible prices ?

Paislet Freight have dropped then from their advertised services which I believe has happened since one of the large carriers stopped their overnight 'large' item service which has screwed it for all the middle-men booking companies and us.

The only one I can still find is Direct Courior Solutions at £42.50 which is OK but adds a lot when taking a punt on a cheap eBay purchase. Thanks.

Daker

Re: Boat Couriers ?

Post by Daker » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:35 pm

Actually, DCS site now shows kayks as "No longer available" which is potentially a real issue.
They DO still offer a surfboard / windsurf service but at £65 and only collecting / delivering on certain days by region.

Beep Beep

Post by Beep Beep » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:08 pm

I had a boat booked in for transit with DCS when the change occurred. They tell me that Parcelforce, who were previously shipping boats as a large package on their 48hr service, have refused to accept any more kayaks. This follows on from TNT pulling out of a similar service some time ago. So no - I can't find anyone doing anything other than bespoke shipments (which DCS will still do). If you hear of anything, I'd be keen to know!

colonelorbit

Post by colonelorbit » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:17 pm

I sent a plastic kayak via the Parcel Force Large 48 service last week - £46 door to door from Essex to Somerset. Boat sent was a small river runner, but was as only packaged in bubble wrap, not cardboard and/or plastic sheet as I used to do with Paisley Freight and arrived on time and in good condition. The bubble wrap was barely scuffed, so had been handled well in transit, so a composite boat would probably be OK with more thorough packaging. A little bit more pricey than Paisley used to be but very affordable and good enough service, will definitely look to use them again.
John

HES Ltd - EnvL Scientist and Engineer

Daker

Post by Daker » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:21 pm

Interesting, thanks for the update.