P&H Skudder System

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Newbie55

P&H Skudder System

Post by Newbie55 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:31 pm

Has anyone had any experience of the 'skudder system' that can be fitted to P&H Skorpio kayaks and their reliability.

PhilAyr

Re: P&H Skudder System

Post by PhilAyr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:39 pm

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi I have been using the P&H skudder system in a Scorpio MV mk2 for the majority of my paddling over the last three months.

First of all it works remarkably well, even upwind which surprised me. Secondly it is incredibly well designed and engineered given the price of the boat it is fitted to. Thirdly it has not needed any adjustment since new. Fourthly it self adjust as you move the foot rests back and forward for different paddlers.

The down sides are that certain grades of coarse sand will jam its hinge but if you are aware of this and give it a good clean before you set off it is not a problem. When pulling it up it does not self centre like the Karitek skeg/rudder so it can be a bit trying to centre it with your toes while trying to slide the uphaul adjuster with your left hand. Lastly an expert paddler will be faster when paddle sailing downwind in F4 when using it in skeg mode than when using it in rudder mode.

The Scorpio has been paddled by complete novices to 5* paddlers. The novices and early intermediates loved it, the experts were not so sure, perhaps because the Scorpio MV mk2 is such a responsive boat to edging and to using the skudder in skeg mode. Good paddlers who were just starting to paddle sail in stronger winds also liked it as they found it easier to maintain course than making minute adjustments to a skeg.

Douglas

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:15 am

Newbie55 wrote:Has anyone had any experience of the 'skudder system' that can be fitted to P&H Skorpio kayaks and their reliability.
The skudder was being fitted to imported Skerrays here in New Zealand about 3 decades ago. One user I knew seemed reasonably happy with it.

TheEcho

Post by TheEcho » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Very interesting!

Are experienced paddlers also faster paddling in Skeg-mode than rudder-mode, or is that specific to paddle sailing?

Are there any disadvantages compared to the same boat with a skeg, apart from the increased cost and risk of damage to the apparatus?

downunder

Post by downunder » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:32 pm

I would assume trying to retro fit the Skudder to a cetus would be a complicated task. I already have a rudder system fitted with the same rudder controls shown in the videos but the rudder is stern hung,

Cheers

Bill

flat earth sails

Post by flat earth sails » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:09 am

Mac, its a brand new system only releast last year, by P&H, the scaray was vally??? And Im thinking it may have been the origanal Kary Tek skeg rudder .
I think its well engeneard and well made and worth the consideration , im also thinking that your clasic Brit stile boat might paddle sail beter with a skeg, the newer fast turers are dynamite with a sail and rudder.
And most Australian oferings have a rudder

Mac50L

Post by Mac50L » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:43 am

flat earth sails wrote:Mac, its a brand new system only releast last year, by P&H, the scaray was vally??? And Im thinking it may have been the origanal Kary Tek skeg rudder .
Valley didn't fit the skudders to the Skerray, they were designed and fitted in New Zealand and long before P&H designed theirs. This means P&H re-invented the skudder.

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:27 pm

This is the P&H skudder in skeg mode.

The forward 2/3rds of the adjuster control the amount of blade deployed in fixed skeg mode. The rear third completely deplys the blade into

...rudder mode when...

...the blade can be turned by the Smarttrack foot pedals.

The operating system is neatly enclosed by...

...this hatch cover on the aft deck.

It is brilliantly designed and engineered. It works almost flawlessly. I have never had to adjust it and its only weakness is that some coarse sands jam the hinge which is in an exposed position. The fine sands of the inner Solway, Ayrshire and Kintyre are OK but the coarse shell sands of Arisaig and the Outer Solway jam it solid to the extent that you need to free it in water after launching the boat, if it has been sitting on a sandy beach.

Douglas