Excuses for swimming :)

Inland paddling
gp.girl

Excuses for swimming :)

Post by gp.girl »

Not the real ones! No paddle broke, rock to head, retentive features allowed

I'm starting with Mike's comment of 'It looks like Sarah's having a swim free day' while behind a rock at the bottom of a boulder garden. This was followed by me going down a drop sideways and swimming leaving my paddle wedged on the riverbed. Clearly not my fault!
I can roll :)

PolecatApollo

Re: Excuses for swimming :)

Post by PolecatApollo »

Reasons for swimming? Lol

Didn't scout and I always go first!

tjclare

Post by tjclare »

"
I was feeling too warm!
"

AndyCanavan

Post by AndyCanavan »

"You were in my eddy, so I couldn't break out before the Strid"

John K

Post by John K »

Oh, do I need an excuse for swimming? I just like to think of it as making full use of the facilities. I especially recommend the flumes at Lee Valley Swimming Pool.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

John K wrote:Oh, do I need an excuse for swimming? I just like to think of it as making full use of the facilities. I especially recommend the flumes at Lee Valley Swimming Pool.
A lovely example of a duel purpose facility, much more realistic than those slides. Apparently you can also kayak or canoe it!?

Today I needed no excuses as it was FSRT course and all swimming was delibrate!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Since I got properly into OC1 I learned to accept that swimming is just part of the sport, which is quite contrary to the view I held for the last 20 years or so of WW kayaking. Even though I can roll OC1 most of the time now, there is only 1 blade on the paddle and sometimes I'll need to use the other end (i.e. swim), but it's pretty common to just fall out of the boat even before I try a roll.

Did seaquest in my sea kayak today - my worst result ever (bad tactical choices) and I fell in a couple times - once getting out for a control, once getting in after punching a control, and I also found a deep spot after grounding near a control and trying to wade to it.... But those little incidents aren't what cost me - the tide continued flooding up the Esk for much longer than I expected, not to mention the wind feeling much stronger once I turned round.... I should have ditched some low scores and concentrated on the high scores :(

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten »

Jim, as you mentioned seakayaking: A swim in the river is the best way to rinse the drysuit and BA. Especially after a long salty weekend.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

Jim wrote:Since I got properly into OC1 I learned to accept that swimming is just part of the sport, which is quite contrary to the view I held for the last 20 years or so of WW kayaking. Even though I can roll OC1 most of the time now, there is only 1 blade on the paddle and sometimes I'll need to use the other end (i.e. swim), but it's pretty common to just fall out of the boat even before I try a roll.

Did seaquest in my sea kayak today - my worst result ever (bad tactical choices) and I fell in a couple times - once getting out for a control, once getting in after punching a control, and I also found a deep spot after grounding near a control and trying to wade to it.... But those little incidents aren't what cost me - the tide continued flooding up the Esk for much longer than I expected, not to mention the wind feeling much stronger once I turned round.... I should have ditched some low scores and concentrated on the high scores :(
I think these might even be reasons. Whitewater OC1 is certainly a valid reason for swimming!

morsey

Post by morsey »

"next thing I saw was an iddy diddy fish bobbing along"

Jim

Post by Jim »

Kirsten wrote:Jim, as you mentioned seakayaking: A swim in the river is the best way to rinse the drysuit and BA. Especially after a long salty weekend.
Mine go in the bath with some cold water, or pegged out on the washing line and hosed down :)

Which raises a good point, why did I put my gear in the bath last night when I could have pegged it on the line and the let the torrential rain do the work for me?
(actually rain is rarely heavy enough, a good soak with the hose is better)

Jim

Post by Jim »

gp.girl wrote:I think these might even be reasons. Whitewater OC1 is certainly a valid reason for swimming!
Yeah, after 20 years of seeing swimming as a failure I have had to come around to the idea that sometimes it is just part of the sport and needs no excuse. Of course much of the time rolling is possible, and/or so is not falling in. :)

CreekingCreepers

Post by CreekingCreepers »

I'm doing a WW triathlon. 70% WW kayaking. 29% WW swimming. 1% walking.

Neptune

Post by Neptune »

The one my paddling pal uses when paddling at the Tees Barrage artificial white water course is:

"Swimming on here doesn't count, its just a training venue."

In my mind, a wet bum equals = a swim. Tell me I'm wrong?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Neptune wrote:In my mind, a wet bum equals = a swim. Tell me I'm wrong?
Unless you have a hole in your spraydeck (or no spraydeck)

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

Jim wrote:
Neptune wrote:In my mind, a wet bum equals = a swim. Tell me I'm wrong?
Unless you have a hole in your spraydeck (or no spraydeck)
Or a split boat :( although this will probably be followed by a real swim :)

Glyn B

Post by Glyn B »

Traction control failed coz it got wet.

Brake failure.

morsey

Post by morsey »

I read this today, in reference to some writing competition entry, and it pretty much sums up the criteria for writing a solid swim excuse:

“extraordinary sentences, sentences of incredible length that go to incredible lengths, their tone switching from solemn to madcap to quizzical to desolate as they go their wayward way; epic sentences that, like a lint roll, pick up all sorts of odd and unexpected things as they accumulate inexorably into paragraphs that are as monumental as they are scabrous and musical”.

Jim

Post by Jim »

morsey wrote:I read this today, in reference to some writing competition entry, and it pretty much sums up the criteria for writing a solid swim excuse:

“extraordinary sentences, sentences of incredible length that go to incredible lengths, their tone switching from solemn to madcap to quizzical to desolate as they go their wayward way; epic sentences that, like a lint roll, pick up all sorts of odd and unexpected things as they accumulate inexorably into paragraphs that are as monumental as they are scabrous and musical”.
Like when you are in a philosophical or poetic then....

Chunda

Post by Chunda »

Friend claimed that his swim at the Augsberg slalom course a number of years ago was a combination of by being distracted by a bikini clad topless young lady carrying a kayak up to the top of the course causing him to capsize and the suntan lotion on his knees causing loss of friction on his thigh braces causing his to fail to roll.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Chunda wrote:Friend claimed that his swim at the Augsberg slalom course a number of years ago was a combination of by being distracted by a bikini clad topless young lady carrying a kayak up to the top of the course causing him to capsize and the suntan lotion on his knees causing loss of friction on his thigh braces causing his to fail to roll.
Surely that's an oxymoron?

canoemad

Post by canoemad »

How about these?

I did not swim. I got out of my boat in deep water to see what would happen.

I did not swim. I was just seeing what it would be like if you needed to swim.

I'm just emptying my boat.

These are excuses I hear when surfing all the time.

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 »

canoemad wrote:How about these?

I did not swim. I got out of my boat in deep water to see what would happen.

I did not swim. I was just seeing what it would be like if you needed to swim.

I'm just emptying my boat.

These are excuses I hear when surfing all the time.
I think I've heard at least one of those, and probably from the same person.

jet

Post by jet »

I was demonstrating to the more concerned novices in the group that a wet exit is relatively easy.

I was concerned that the sunlight was fading the deck more than the hull so thought I'd balance things up a bit

I've been putting on weight lately and thought a mouthful of river water might help in sudden, dramatic, weight loss.

Those pesky water pixies grabbed my blade.

gp.girl

Post by gp.girl »

'Not having the Gopro' yes every successful run either me or hubby had the camera. My footage of his swim is better!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”