Patagonia Expedition

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
erinbastian

Patagonia Expedition

Post by erinbastian »

Hi Folks,

I have written up a wee blog of my latest Patagonia adventure if folks were interested. It was the most stunning place to paddle and I wanted to thank all those who gave me advise on the area when I was planning this summer.

http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/blog ... ure-happen

I am putting together a short Film of the trip too which I will share with you guys soon.

Happy paddling and I can recommend Patagonia for you next paddling adventure.

Erin :)

lg18

Re: Patagonia Expedition

Post by lg18 »

Hi Erin, thanks - The correct link for the blog:
http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/blog ... ure-happen

Looking forward to reading it!
Lucy

EDIT - have just read it - WOW! Truly inspirational.
I laughed at this bit at the end: "It’s not just for the epically hard core folk we read about in magazines to do" - having been there myself (only on the Navimag ferry) and witnessed the huge empty distances with zero people, the truly tiny and remote Puerto Eden where you began, and the enormous landscapes, I think you can now safely call yourself "epically hard core"!

Lucy

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Awesome!

dhkayaking

Post by dhkayaking »

Excellent.

Very well done. Looks just as good as I imagine. Its on top of my to do list next year.

David

Douglas Wilcox

Post by Douglas Wilcox »

Hi Erin, what a great trip you have had I am delighted to hear you completed your expedition. It is an area that certainly captures the imagination of adventurers. I look forward to seeing your video.

A great, great uncle of my wife went there seeking adventure in the mid 19th century and was never heard of again. However, my wife's cousin went out on an expedition to Tierra del Fuego in the mid 1970's. He found himself in a pretty rough bar when a swarthy Spanish speaking chap with red hair came up to him (he also has red hair). They started talking and were amazed to discover they had the same first and second names!

Douglas

erinbastian

Post by erinbastian »

Thanks Guys,

Lucy- thanks for the link correction!

Douglas- I am glad I came back to tell the tale unlike your great uncle :) but what a bizarre/cool occurrence for your wives cousin.

Loved Patagonia so much I can't wait to go back for more.

Chris Bolton

Post by Chris Bolton »

Really impressive, Erin, and you've fired me to think about going there as well.

How did you obtain boats for a self-guided trip - I've read somewhere that the outfitters are liable for your safety even if you only hire a boat, so only do guided trips?

Chris

erinbastian

Post by erinbastian »

The boats we bought new on arrival (pre ordered). Then we sold them at the end to a company with keen guides that were desperate for there own kayaks.

Mark R

Post by Mark R »

Just got around to reading this - inspiring stuff.

I did some WW rivers in Patagonian Chile and Argentina years back - way north I think of where you were, but (this was part of an around the world tour) I concluded that Chile was the most beautiful and diverse country I'd ever visited - deserts, bamboo rainforests, volcanoes, icecaps, fjords...
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK