Family canoeing 1 or 2 day trip on the Wye

Inland paddling
colonelorbit

Family canoeing 1 or 2 day trip on the Wye

Post by colonelorbit » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Can anyone suggest some good options for a family canoeing / kayak trip on the Wye. I'm hoping to get out on the river this half term with the kids for either a single day trip or possible a two day trip if the weather and optimism is good!

I'm happy to lead them down (3-Star, Level-1, 8-years paddling) and I plan to take either 2 kids or 3 kids and another adult with me (all with 2-3 years kayak experience each). We plan to go in 1 canadian and 2x kayaks, but I don't know which stretches are best for access, interest, excitment etc. I don't plan to run any rapids, but a little riffle or two adds to the interest.

Can anyone suggest some nice interesting long single day trips, or shorter-day 2-day trips. I may be one car so an option of a public transport shuttle or a friendly canoe operator would be good too!! Any ideas?
John

HES Ltd - EnvL Scientist and Engineer

andypagett

Re: Family canoeing 1 or 2 day trip on the Wye

Post by andypagett » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:21 pm

The River Wye guidebook is available for free online, which will help with access points etc - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... jd-e-e.pdf

Popular stretches are

Hereford to Hoarwithy
Hoarwithy to Ross-on-Wye
Ross-on-Wye to Symonds Yat
Symonds Yat to Monmouth or Redbrook

The last one would usually involve running Symond's Yat rapids, though this is normally just a case of lining up and paddling unless the levels are very high or very low.

They can all be lengthened or shortened using intermediate access points. The last two are (in my opinion) the nicest in terms of scenery and interest. Other than Symonds Yat however there is very little riffly water on these stretches.

We have used Wye Canoes (available on Facebook, the web and this very forum) for shuttles in the past.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:47 am

andypagett wrote:Other than Symonds Yat however there is very little riffly water on these stretches.
Did from Monmouth down yesterday...actually a surprising amount of riffly water.

Further up, section from Glasbury to Byford is glorious for a couple of days.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Mal Grey

Post by Mal Grey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Agreed, Glasbury to Bycross Farm is lovely over a couple of days, and the latter is one of the nicest campsites in England. It really does feel "away from it all" at times, and there are lots of little easy riffles in low to medium levels. Anything higher and I would probably leave it for another time with your group. Hay to Hereford also ticks the box, and you could use Bycross as the half-way camp if you think you can manage about 15 miles a day.

The section between Ross and Monmouth is also excellent, through steep wooded valleys with the cliffs of Symonds Yat poking through.

andy g

Post by andy g » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm

A very nice 2 or 3 day trip is Hereford down to Monmouth.

Use the YHA at Welsh Bicknor for an overnight stay, and there are several other riparian campsites.

There is a useful guide here: http://www.igreens.org.uk/canoeing_the_wye.htm

Andy

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”