Greek islands - brief report^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Chris Bolton

Greek islands - brief report^

Post by Chris Bolton » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:22 pm

In another thread, Mark asked if I was able to do a brief report on the Greek Islands; initially I posted something in that thread, but it's better with its own.

We spent 2 weeks in the Cyclades, camping where we found suitable beaches but more often finding rooms by the beach. Three of us paddled boats hired locally, and two paddled our own Feathercraft folders. At that time of year it was warm but not unduly hot; most paddling being done in shorts and T-shirt (even in a force 5!). Not having gone digital yet I'm still scanning my slides and will post some later if they are worth it.

We started from Antiparos, made our way to Thira (Santorini) then took the ferry back to Ios, and paddled to Koufonisia, a few local paddles and eventually back to Antiparos.

(Based on the excellent Imray chart - I hope they don't mind)

We saw no other paddlers, a few yachts and managed to avoid the ferries. The locals were very friendly and helpful, apart from one who sold us some very bad cheese.

Excellent trip, well worth a visit, but it can get consistently windy so pick your season.

Chris

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:51 pm

Chris - if you have pics and want to develop this into a wee article for the Trips page, that would be great!

Looks like a nice area - Mike.

Chris Bolton

Trip report

Post by Chris Bolton » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:37 pm

Mike,

Some photos now, and will do a bit of a write up, but have too many other things to do at present!

Chris

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 pm

Fantastic! I'll link to this from the Trips page. Mike.