Has T got the hump

Inland paddling
sundaykayaker

Has T got the hump

Post by sundaykayaker » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:44 pm

Is it my imagination. That since the T started charging. There seems to be reluctanc to update water release dates. Na U R right. Just my imagination.

Adrian Cooper

Re: Has T got the hump

Post by Adrian Cooper » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:15 pm

They seem to be publishing info on their Facebook page quite regularly.

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Which releases? the normal ones they would do anyway or the the special mystical ones that your paying for?
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

quicky

Post by quicky » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Feel free to ask, it will make a nice change for someone else to...

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 pm

I see that this weekend will be a full weekend of, err, one day, Saturday, at 9 cumecs (assuming it isn't really 7).

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Maybe that's all part of the plan! Then, in a couple of years time, they'll say "no one uses the Lower T" and sell it to an unscrupulous Bobsleigh Run Builder to get the next Winter Olympics team trained up.....

C
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

SimonMW

Post by SimonMW » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:56 pm

Or CW will move their base to Cardiff. It is interesting that CT is supposedly now a separate company (that nobody can find the details of).

quicky

Post by quicky » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Are they trying to justify some grant or something to improve the river. It has been running for years but only now it is decided that the river is washing away the banks?

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:26 am

The river is absolutely not washing away the banks

quicky

Post by quicky » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Yep exactly seemed a little weird.... maybe the rafts are bashing into the banks hehe.

66quinny66

Post by 66quinny66 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:42 am

quicky wrote:Yep exactly seemed a little weird.... maybe the rafts are bashing into the banks hehe.
That's not the case. They usually use kayaks already in the eddy to absorb the impact!! In a lot of cases at the T, Raft "Guide" is a serious misnomer!

Sickboy

Post by Sickboy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Whats up, have you never heard the saying 'its only a guide'?
I have to say I've never had a problem with the T's rafts, Hpp back in the day was another matter.....
Rum and coke, best served by the pint.

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:24 pm

If they can succesfully move rocks around to prevent bank erosion, I wonder if they can move rocks out of the top hole eddy to create better eddy service ?? Hears to dreams eh!!

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 am

The whole of the graveyard section has been altered to the extent that it is no longer a graveyard like it was when I first went. The 'new' design appears to be catering for rafts.

Lowri Davies

Post by Lowri Davies » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am

Hi Guys

I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I have had serious concerns about Canoe Wales' actions and ethically dubious strategies. I was one of the leading voices speaking up against them when the wider paddling community still believed Canoe Wales could do no wrong. Those of us who did bring issues to light or raised them for discussion were often met with dismissive or even distainful responses that claimed we were "just commercial providers, only interested in protecting our income". Despite the fact that not all the horrifying facts of what was going on at CW have come into the public domain, it appears that now people can see there was a lot to be concerned about - and hopefully by extension you can see we cared about far more than our respective businesses!

All that said, and not forgetting everything CW has done in the last 2 years, I feel the incessant Tryweryn bashing on here and facebook is getting ridiculous. If you have a point which you wish to be taken seriously; snide comments interspersed with ad-hoc unfounded claims will only serve to mask it. Whatever your political opinion, please try and remain a little sensible and objective - otherwise UK kayakers will be no better than the bandwagon-jumping, scape goat making, sensationalist Daily Mail!

1. If the Tryweryn are now charging kayakers, why would they purposefully make it harder to find out release times? Surely they want as many of us there as possible to gain revenue from?

2. Let's not slip into "us versus them" with the raft guides! They have nothing to do with the strategical business decisions of Tryweryn. That is akin to blaming the check-out boy for Tesco's international buying strategy.

3. Despite the dubious circumstances under which Canoe Wales the NGB and Canoe Wales' business arm (inc Tryweryn) became separate; the existence of both is not hidden. Look up CW Sales & Services at companies house.

I am not sitting here in full support of CW and everything they are doing; but I am sitting here thinking....

Lets just go boating!

nomad_321

Post by nomad_321 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Most of those who keep constantly complaining about CT come across as fully fledged members of the tin foil hat brigade seeing conspiracy's everywhere they look. While CW actions recently have been bad in a whole variety of ways posting lots of poorly informed rubbish on here and on facebook dosen't help anything. It just starts to come across as paranoia from those who spend more time posting about paddling on here and facebook than they have ever done kayaking.

Also hitting kayaks isn't bad guiding, its good aim.

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Dunno about incessant, there are 2 threads about it on UKRGB & the other one was a fair while ago!!

No idea what's going on on Facebook though...
Jackson Nirvana, BMW F650GS...

Strad

Post by Strad » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:53 pm

Chalky723 wrote:Dunno about incessant, there are 2 threads about it on UKRGB & the other one was a fair while ago!!

No idea what's going on on Facebook though...
And the other one was asking some pretty important and valid questions, I think this one less so though.
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

sundaykayaker

Post by sundaykayaker » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:33 pm

[quote="Lowri Davies"....Lets just go boating![/quote]
Well put together and thoughtful reply..
Best of all. U R right.. lets just go boating. :)

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”