Trolley that will collapse to fit in kayak

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
e-wan

Trolley that will collapse to fit in kayak

Post by e-wan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 pm

i'm sure this might have been covered before but
looking for a folding trolley that can collapse and be fitted inside a kayak.

alternatively, I wondered about using an underinflated fender or some sort of inflatable sausage shaped object perhaps the thwart from an Avon tender; as an solution to carry with you for moving the boat short distances single-handed to get it above the high tide line.

any suggestions

Ewan

Bazza S

Re: Trolley that will collapse to fit in kayak

Post by Bazza S » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Summit to Sea in Valley, Anglesey 01407 740963 sell a sea kayak trolley that dismantles and packs in to a small bag and they are fantastic.

buxtonmick

Post by buxtonmick » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:54 pm

I've got a Go-Sea one from ebay / Amazon which is exactly like the RUK Sea kayak trolley on the Summittosea website. It's very nifty, very light, and goes into the rear hatch ok, but how many seasons it will last I'm not sure as the plastic wheels just spin on the ali frame of course. A good first trolley though.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:16 am

e-wan wrote:I'm sure this might have been covered before but
looking for a folding trolley that can collapse and be fitted inside a kayak.

alternatively, I wondered about using an underinflated fender or some sort of inflatable sausage shaped object perhaps the thwart from an Avon tender; as an solution to carry with you for moving the boat short distances single-handed to get it above the high tide line.

any suggestions

Ewan
A pal uses a large, heavy duty dry bag to do this. Mike.

danthomas

Post by danthomas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:07 pm

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:48 pm

I do a lot of solo paddling, west coast of Scotland etc and do take a trolley that folds and doubles as my bulkhead footrest, but it is the Scottish Paddle Supplies one that is no longer available. This is for long distances, usually to and from the car at the start and end of trips.

For most landings and launches the most important thing is very careful site selection based ease of boat recovery and on guesses or prospecting with the paddle of what LW will be like if it is HW, or an assessment of the ease of launch at HW if LW or if a swell gets up.

Once a spot is selected you can almost always find useful bits of driftwood, seaweed, skeins of rope etc to use as rollers to recover the boat and launch again in the morning. Indeed on an otherwise featureless beach I will choose the spot nearest suitable flotsam. Some bits and bobs are so perfect I've been tempted to take them with me, elongated fenders etc.

If the only option is the rocks, a dropping tide poses few problems, unload completely and then carry the empty boat with care. A rising tide is particularly difficult, plenty of practise and carrying suitable IKEA bags is the only option, as the boat gets lighter it can often be moved a short distance. That green slime you get on rocks near where a stream runs in is to be avoided if you don't want a broken ankle.

For the launch the problem is a falling tide which will leave you high and dry whilst packing. On a rising tide I will make myself a launch pad of soft debris and weed, pack and get on board and wait for the tide to float me.

e-wan

Post by e-wan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:17 pm

do you need a foot pump for this or can you inflate it without?

Ewan

Bazza S

Post by Bazza S » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:49 am

I've got a Go-Sea one from ebay / Amazon which is exactly like the RUK Sea kayak trolley on the Summittosea website. It's very nifty, very light, and goes into the rear hatch ok, but how many seasons it will last I'm not sure as the plastic wheels just spin on the ali frame of course. A good first trolley though.
I didn't mean this one. Pete at Summit to Sea had some made up which are definitely the best sea kayak trolley I have ever seen and used. They pack away small, when used are very solid and will last for years.

e-wan

Post by e-wan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:39 am

Bazza S wrote:
I didn't mean this one. Pete at Summit to Sea had some made up which are definitely the best sea kayak trolley I have ever seen and used. They pack away small, when used are very solid and will last for years.
Do you know how much yours was or which of these from the summit to sea web sight it is?
http://www.summittosea.co.uk/canoeing-k ... lleys&pg=1

Ewan

danthomas

Post by danthomas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:04 am

e-wan wrote:
do you need a foot pump for this or can you inflate it without?

Ewan
You don't need any extra kit. You just blow into it. A non-return valve makes sure that once the air is in, it does not come out again. It takes a good number of lungfuls and a few minutes to blow up, and if you go too fast you start seeing flashing lights. Other than that it is a brilliant piece of kit. It will let you singlehandedly move a fully loaded boat up a steep boulder beach if you have to. I would still recommend finding somewhere better to land, mind you.

michelin

Post by michelin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 am

NDK Kayaks at Holyhead do a cracking little trolley. I think it might be made by Karritek. Packs away into a small dry bag and then into one of your hatches. Works really well considering how small it is. Quite expensive though I think around £90 but worth every penny.

buxtonmick

Post by buxtonmick » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:04 am

Bazza, I wasn't very clear there, sorry. I meant to point out that the RUK trolley was a cheap and cheerful bit of kit and not a serious HD trolley such as the one that you mentioned. It's horses for courses in a way - on and off beaches in Wales half a dozen times a year is fine but halfway through a long portage in NW Scotland is not the time to realise you should have bought quality!

geoffm

Post by geoffm » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:01 pm

I have one of the Summit to Sea trolleys that Bazza is talking about. Brilliant and well made. It's essentially a copy of the one that Freya Hoffmeister uses.
Geoff

e-wan

Post by e-wan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:22 pm

sorry if i am missing the obvious nut i am a bit unclear which trolly sold by sea to summit you are all referring too? there seem to be several on their website.

Ewan

geoffm

Post by geoffm » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 pm

I am presuming it is this one http://www.summittosea.co.uk/bombora-ex ... s-trolleys
It is basically a locally made version of the trolley that Freya Hoffmeister uses on her travels.
Geoff
ps it is Summit to Sea, not Sea to Summit. Different company entirely.

Tourer

Post by Tourer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:21 am

http://www.zoelzer.de/content.php?Produ ... rubrik=127

Probably Freya's is one of those, all quite expensive.

I have some French ultracompact lightweight make but the wheels are so low down that you have to walk the boat bent over, so that's ok for short distances on hard surfaces, from car to beach on a day trip but not for longer portages let alone wih a loaded boat.

1300 g, probably that's the one I think

Dear me, 4 different wheels to choose from !

geoffm

Post by geoffm » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 am

Sorry Tourer, but none of those is the same as Freya's.
Geoff

geoffm

Post by geoffm » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:19 am

This is the trolley I am reffering to.
Geoff
Image Mark Tozer

Tourer

Post by Tourer » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:06 pm

[quote="geoffm"]This is the trolley I am reffering to.
Geoff
The history to it is here: http://www.kuestenkanuwandern.de/ausruest/120329.html

Udo Beier says the Oker I stainless steel model is the final version and sturdy enough for prolonged salt water use

Useful also in order to check the trim before going on the water.

More ideas here

http://www.der-bootswagen.de/

geoffm

Post by geoffm » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Yes, I would agree, the Oker 1 does look very similar.
Geoff

Tourer

Post by Tourer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:59 am

http://www.carokanu.de/Bootswagen/Bootswagen-Kholaya/

So far as I can see from the description a very neat sturdy piece of kit at a reasonable price - WITH WHEEL BEARINGS, so suitable to tow a boat behiund a bike ! Different models for different boat types, bars not across but along to avoid point stress