i've lost my brand new paddles :-(

Inland paddling
rob brown

i've lost my brand new paddles :-(

Post by rob brown »

Thought it would be clever to run the gun barrel on the Ogwen today (6/11/05) despite 10 other boaters deciding to give it a miss! Anyway the obvious happened and my new NAVY BLUE ROBSON ORACLES were last seen making there way at some speed towards the sea. Bugger. If you spot them please give me a shout. Cheers.

Also thanks to the chaps in the 'hefe's' who helped to pull me out.

Rob 07851 600435

Joe Kirk

Post by Joe Kirk »

Well done rob,also nice new trent canoe site, when did that get up and running?

madyak.co.uk

Post by madyak.co.uk »

PM'd you some details and texted you

one of the jefe boys

rob brown

UPDATE

Post by rob brown »

Right then apparently my blades are.....

we spied your blades wedged in a tree intact on river left by a sheer sided rock wall, about 800m from where we last saw you at the bridge (this is the first one after the gun barrel). We tried to get em out to the bank but couldn't get them. Sorry dude, guess if you could get back at a lower level you should get them unless someone sees them first.

If someone comes across them and thinks "hmmm I have the technical knowhow and the ability to safely retrieve those" I would be very chuffed. If this doesnt sound like you then please dont bother!!!!

Beer might be involved somewhere down the line!

Rob

sdireland

Post by sdireland »

Not the only set of paddles to be lost on the Ogwen today. If anyone finds a set of black Werner Players, I'd be very grateful for their return. I came unstuck on one of the larger weirs downstream of the Half way bridge (A5).

Up until that point a fantasticly entertaining run!

Steve
07951 217572

chris s sladden

Ogwen Carnage

Post by chris s sladden »

This river has been handing out beatings for a while now. I'm sure in my archives I have a picture of a set of wooden blades- (I think they were called "Gees" though it's more than 20 years ago now) swinging merrily in the middle of the Ogwen.

I was very proud of those paddles but that was the last I saw of them.

Happy days- I sure miss those rivers!

Chris

PS talking of beatings did anybody see the Rugby? I suspect that is going to happen to more than just the Welsh.

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

PS talking of beatings did anybody see the Rugby? I suspect that is going to happen to more than just the Welsh.
I was 1/2 watching it, but then I'm only 1/4 welsh ;-)
Yes, I think they'll comprehensively beat the lot of us.

Re: The Ogwen. I have a mate who lives in Bathesda, I emailed him on Friday to see what the level was like. He said that it was in the fields a bit further downstream and that anyone paddling it would be mad. He's not a paddler though, so he doesn't understand ;-)

Martin
Martin

MatSav

Re: Ogwen Carnage

Post by MatSav »

chris s sladden wrote:...in my archives I have a picture of a set of wooden blades- (I think they were called "Gees" though it's more than 20 years ago now)...
Yes, Mark Gees. He used to have a small workshop in Twickenham, next to the Twickenham Canoe Centre (later to become WWTCC). My Scout Group still has some of his cheap, very low end blades fitted to aluminium shafts.

steveparry

Post by steveparry »

I paddled the Ogwen for the first time on Saturday (5.11.05), had a ball. Really enjoyed the whole trip although I didn't start with the Gunbarrel, looked pretty shallow to me and apparently the bedrock has been nicely machined so the strata points directly upstream, that would be quite a faceful! Any more info on this?

Anyway, Fisherman's gorge was great, looking forward to doing it again next weekend.
Steve

NickB

Post by NickB »

Mark Gees Tritons I suspect, ooh gorgeous various dark and light laminated woods, hand made, warm, flexible, great shaped loom (old term!), just never enjoyed the maintenance!
Cheers
Nick Benny

Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everybody in good society holds exactly the same opinions!

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

I had a nice set of Mark Gees once, but some git nicked them out of my garden one night after I forgot to put them away :-(
Martin

mharrall

Ogwen Level

Post by mharrall »

My mate Bryan just sent me this short clip showing Ogwen levels at noon today. He says, and I quote "It's weeing down up here". No paddlers on the clip though I'm afraid.

http://www.jusspress.com/mharrall
Martin

nichburton

Ogwen on Saturday

Post by nichburton »

I was also on the Ogwen on Saturday afternoon - a great run in medium conditions. Our shuttle bunny was trying out his new SLR and got some good shots.

First 8 photos are of 2 unknown paddlers running Ogwen Bank Falls (or at least scraping over the middle!). The rest of the photos are taken of us exiting the Gunbarrel and then further down at Scout Hut Bridge:

http://www.newtonnet.org/photos/Hols%20 ... index.html

The weir at the A55 road bridge must have a habit of catching out the unwary. At the end of our run, a certain Mr. K. Francis innoncently dropped over the centre line and had an interesting "moment" to escape its clutches.

Ian Dallaway

Post by Ian Dallaway »

Nick Benny wrote:Mark Gees Tritons I suspect, ooh gorgeous various dark and light laminated woods, hand made, warm, flexible, great shaped loom (old term!), just never enjoyed the maintenance!
I purchased a pair of Tritons many moons ago, broke them on the first outing on Bala Mill. I then broke the free replacements on the Dee just above Mile End Mill. Thankfully my paddling has improved over the years and paddles seem to last a little longer nowadays.

I still have the repaired Gees hanging up in the garage and tried them not so long ago. They certainly were a fantastic paddle in their day, but they were 208cm long, 90 feather and blades seemingly the size of dustbin lids. Made me appreciate my Werners a bit more!
Ian

rich manchett

Post by rich manchett »

Rob. I dont think your blades are in one peice anymore, paddled the Ogwen today and saw half a robson paddle about 1/2 to 3/4 of way down Fishermans gorge. They are on the river left bank. Sorry

rich manchett

Post by rich manchett »

Rob. I dont think your blades are in one peice anymore, paddled the Ogwen today and saw half a robson paddle about 1/2 to 3/4 of way down Fishermans gorge. They are on the river left bank. Sorry

Tom_Laws

Post by Tom_Laws »

Were you on the river with Jarrod and Donkey Tom? What was the level like?

Cheers

Tom

rich manchett

Post by rich manchett »

Levels were Med ish! Paddled it today with Pete C and Tom Parker. I dont think hes known as Donkey Tom and as it was the first time I paddled with him, Im not in the best position to start dishing out out new nick names. Quality run though.

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”