RIVER FOWEY (Two Waters Foot to Bodmin Parkway Station)

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

RIVER FOWEY (Two Waters Foot to Bodmin Parkway Station)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:12 am

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

wedebridge

Re: RIVER FOWEY (Two Waters Foot to Bodmin Parkway Station)

Post by wedebridge » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 am

Paddled the section from Halfway House to Bodmin Parkway one tree completely across the river about one K down from the put in depending on water level possible to either get under or over it.

We were also accosted by a rather irate land owner, who threatened us with prosecution and a large fine for paddling on his water, I politely said I thought there was an access agreement, and was told in no uncertain terms that there was not and never had been (the water level on the gauge was just above the red line at 3ft), he also told us we were damaging and destroying the salmon eggs in the river! I said I would check this information with the environment agency and said we would move on down the river. This incident rather spoiled what should have been a nice relaxing paddle and upset one of our less able paddlers to such an extent that they then capsized. The owner then proceeded to take pictures of us rescuing the paddler and emptying the boat this further upset every one.

One not very happy paddler.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:54 am

I'm sure Stoneweasel will appraise you of the access arrangements for this stretch. Suffice to say that said landowner does not own the water, period. He may own the land over which you paddled and you were not damaging any Salmon eggs. Enjoy a lovely stretch of water.
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:23 am

Sorry to hear that you got hassled by some obnoxious lout, unfortunately it does happen from time to time but I have never heard of someone receiving abuse outside of the fishing season on this river (I paddle this section a lot). I can guess who the bloke is as there is one twonk that sticks out as Mr. Shouty, if it is who I think he is not even a land owner but a fisherman that takes it on himself to be nasty to kayakers, was he by any chance around 5'9" ish and a little portly? Most of the land owners I have bumped into along this stretch have been civil at least, they have not all wanted us to be there but have all acted well in the past (same can not be said for the fishermen).

There used to be an access agreement for this stretch which was very restrictive but I don't think you will find that it is still in place, the fisherfolks wanted to charge us £300 a year, I believe it was, in order to maintain the access agreement at which point the access officer politely told them where they could stick the agreement so now we just paddle when there is water to do so.

I have had a notice left on my windscreen threatening to arrest me for aggravated trespass when paddling this river in the summer which I must admit caused me some amusement but have never had any hassle at all in the winter so I am really quite shocked by this event. I am sorry to hear that your paddling was a bit spoiled by some twonk, I do hope you enjoyed the rest of the river though.

Denzil

P.S. Where exactly on the river did this happen?

drking

Post by drking » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Hi,

Like Denzil said, it is pretty rare to get any hassle outside the fishing season on this stretch but it seems the fisher folk are keeping an eye out for paddlers due to there not being an agreement this year. I had a chat with two fishermen from the Liskeard Angling Club on tuesday when I was getting on and although they were aware that the agreement had ceased they were happy for us to paddle as long as the level was good (They did mention that other fishermen may not be so friendly!). Throughout our journey we saw quite a few fishermen scowling at us from the bridges but we had a hassle free trip. It sucks when someone like that ruins your day on the river and unfortunately some of the guys on this stretch seem to think they have the power to tell you what to do. Was it by the big yellow house on river right just next to the first good hole by any chance?

I hope this doesn't put you off paddling this stretch because its a great section of river . I have never seen any other groups on the river whilst paddling.

happy paddling,

Dan.

wedebridge

Post by wedebridge » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments, I don't want to go out of my way to annoy an one but this sort of attitude just makes me think lets paddle it as much as possible. I will be paddling this stretch again as soon as we have enough water to stay within the now de-funked access agreement.

drking

Post by drking » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Water just lapping the top right corner of the legde = 3ft on the gauge bridge. Good to go.

Dan.

drking

Post by drking » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Sorry, forgot to include link for above camera - http://www.wainsford.com/fowey/live.php

nikhoward

Post by nikhoward » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:01 am

paddled the river on saturday, 3/4 of way down a large tree is down, the only way to pass is via portage on river right

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:41 pm

Paddled on Friday 25th Oct 2013. 3 on the Guage. Folks in the pub were happy for us to go through the geese to access the river and park in the overflow car park with a big van.
There was a tree spanning the river at the pub. we put on directly below it from the pub garden.
Great fun with no other trees. All the little waves were great fun. better in a playboat. Even saw a fisherman. (should he have been there?) he just smiled at us (only two paddlers).
Parking at the station is now all pay and display even by the bridge. We did a shuttle on bikes. 10mins ride?

Ewart
Some photos here: http://3bsports.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/ ... n-x-3.html

Conrad Dowding

Post by Conrad Dowding » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:12 am

Did this yesterday (7th), 2.25 on the bridge gauge corresponds to about 0.65 on the wainsford EA gauge. Low but not scrapey, very pleasant river. Did meet 8(!) fishermen, most of which weren't pleased to see us-two stated we weren't allowed on the river, a group of three may have objected but as we freed one of their lines they didn't really say anything, and one chap whose erudite contribution to the access debate was to rather forcefully tell me to f-off.

As stated above the parking along the road at Bodmin Parkway is all pay and display and does fill up.

Conrad

AS Watersports

Post by AS Watersports » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:59 am

A quick search shows that the Salmon season down there doesn't end until mid December. This would probably by why the anglers were not so happy to see you. This should not prevent you paddling though. http://www.ldac.org.uk/maps_fowey.htmEwart

theclimberguy

Post by theclimberguy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:38 pm

I'm looking at doing this trip in open boats fairly soon, but also continuing on down past Lostwithiel. What is the river like below Bodmin? Any hazards, access issues etc. Is the river big enough for open boats? Hoping to do this trip at the beginning of December.

Cheers Guy

josh sparrow latus

Post by josh sparrow latus » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi all

i am looking at paddling this stretch with a couple of friends from uni, i read a few weeks back that some oaf had put barbed wire across the stream at some point but cant find the post. is this true and if so how far down and on river left or right?

anything i need to be aware of majorly that isnt on the guide?
cheers guys much appreciated in advance :)
josh latus

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:16 pm

No barbed wire on this stretch, just a couple of trees down that you need to be careful of and might need to walk around. There is one tree down right at the start so I would walk a bit further down to put in, it is not a lot of fun putting on just to haul off a few meters down stream.

Denzil

paula1008

Post by paula1008 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:44 pm

theclimberguy wrote:I'm looking at doing this trip in open boats fairly soon, but also continuing on down past Lostwithiel. What is the river like below Bodmin? Any hazards, access issues etc. Is the river big enough for open boats? Hoping to do this trip at the beginning of December.

Cheers Guy
Hi Guy

Have you done this stretch yet in open boats? If so, what were the river conditions like?

Paula

josh sparrow latus

Post by josh sparrow latus » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Just a quick note I paddled this river yesterday(5-1-15) on 2.6ft there is now another tree down after the second tree and if I remember correctly after the water marker passable river right. the second tree where above says it is passable river left on low and paddle over river high, is now not passable river left on low so makes this a portage on the river right bank.
Hope this helps anyone looking at paddling the river.

Cornish_Packrafter

Post by Cornish_Packrafter » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:15 pm

Paddled this today. Clean run, nice and quiet, no issues! Couple of trees down but all negotiable without portage. River level just under 2.5 at New Bridge.

Return to “England - Southwest”