Mark R

River Usk - Sennybridge to Aberbran Bridge

Post by Mark R » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

anthonyward130

Re: River Usk - Sennybridge to Aberbran Bridge

Post by anthonyward130 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:17 am

On a recent trip, myself and my partner started an early morning paddle on this stretch on medium to high water. We were joined by two otters swimming around our boats being very brave!! It has given us a fantastic memory of the journey!

ali

Post by ali » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Paddled this section yesterday and there is a large tree across the river just below the put in. It is passable on river right with some ducking at medium flows but may be trickier at high flows.

AlexN

Post by AlexN » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:42 am

We got on at the WUF field on river right in Sennybridge. There was no sign of the tree on 13/12/14.

NeilCox

Post by NeilCox » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:08 am

Just a word of warning for anyone paddling the Sennybridge to Aberbran Bridge section on the Usk with beginners.

We had a beginner get held in a hole today after swimming despite hitting the correct line (hard left) on the 3rd drop (the horseshoe 'weir'). He exited his boat on the upstream side in the pool at the bottom of the drop and was sucked along the face of stopper into the centre of the horse shoe. I can't see references to this stopper holding swimmers online (and I've not heard of it myself before) so I'd advise caution.

This was in low water.

Swimmer was fine and after warming up and feeding was able to paddle on out under his own steam.

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:39 am

If you sit below the drop in your boat, you will be slowly drawn towards the centre of the horseshoe - even in very low conditions, let alone Sunday's medium-low level. It's always happened, and I would say it's always been known as a risk. I always make sure that one or more competent paddlers leads down and then sits ready to offer a swimmer their bow for a quick back-paddle drag out of the worst of the cross-flow if required.

By the time the level is high enough for a line to be opening up down river right, the whole LHS is very unpleasant for weaker paddlers.
Dave Thomas

jmmoxon

Post by jmmoxon » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 am

If paddling from above Sennybridge, be aware that there is a huge build up of trees on the bridge to the camp, with not much space either side to pass.

Mike
http://kayakworldguide.forums-free.com Links to websites with info on white water, touring, sea & surf.