Leptospirosis (Weils Disease)

Inland paddling
Strad

Re: Leptospirosis (Weils Disease)

Post by Strad » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:23 pm

scottdog007 wrote: Penicillin or a tetracycline antibiotic called doxycycline are the preferred choices.............[/i]
Our family doctor describes Doxycycline as the bleach of the antibiotics work - strong and nasty!
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:37 pm

...but it works. I've used it, and would use it again under the slightest suspicion of having Leptospirosis.
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

Mikers

Post by Mikers » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I've been treated for Leptospirosis, no idea if I actually had it.

I got Man Flu symptoms about a week after paddling. So I went to the doctor and suggested that I might have Leptospirosis.

The doctor didn't immediately know what leptospirosis was, so I called it Weils disease, explained why I thought I had it. I requested appropriate antibiotics on the basis that it is probably not Weils disease, but it's far better to treat it now on the off chance than it is to wait to find out for sure. The doc agreed, he probably got the impression that I wasn't going to leave with out a perscription. I wasn't.

The antibiotics were nasty, gave me the squits and pretty bad indigestion. I think they were Doxycilin, but it was a while ago.

They took a blood sample and sent it off for analysis, but I didn't bother checking in to get the results.

markba

Post by markba » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi Pete, luckily I have 7 tablets of Doxycycline left over for future emergency's then....

It seems my perseverance has worked!!! I have just received an email (which provides me with a huge sense of relief) from the Leptospira Reference Unit which actually does the tests as a UK Notifiable Disease (under its Cause list) saying:

"Dear Mr Baxxxx
We have contacted Stoke Mandeville and your specimens are on the way to us. Results should be available by the end of next week.
Leptospira Reference Unit"

Finally, I feel like things are back on track.....

I shall keep you posted how things go....just to evidence the process that others may need to follow and pitfalls to be aware of...the main problem is that Doctors dislike patients self-diagnosing which is understandable....so you have to ask them to investigate in parallel but treat as a bacteria attacking vital organs in the meantime....I think it is hit and miss with GP's, I consider myself lucky with my GP even if she may not have been familiar with leptospirosis before my visit....

Mark

tom_lewis89

Post by tom_lewis89 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Had lepto last summer after tubing down a dodgy river in Laos. It really sucks and impairs your beer drinking ability for months. Don't drink rat piss!

scottdog007

Post by scottdog007 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:19 am

tom_lewis89 wrote:Had lepto last summer after tubing down a dodgy river in Laos. It really sucks and impairs your beer drinking ability for months. Don't drink rat piss!
Is that what they call the beer over there in Laos?

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Slime wrote:I am really concerned that over the years we have had increasing numbers of alarming and horrible accounts like this. I have had other equally alarming accounts from fellow paddlers........

I guess the GP always thinks "its just another case of man flu" and how do you respond to this? What do doctors on this forum think? Perhaps a written signed statement that you think you probably have Weils disease and a formal written request for an immediate treatment with anti-biotics.?

And what do you do if your GP refuses?

Best wishes for a 100% recovery,

Pete Knowles, Rivers Publishing.
Pete
Im not a GP but my line of work means I am at higher risk then jo public for getting lepto. As such work issue us with lepto cards that we should present everytime we go to a doctor when we are feeling unwell. The card has details on for us to reduce the risk ie cover broken skin and wash hands but also explict medical instructions that say:
"The holder of the this card is engaged in work whcih may bring them into contact with water or material which may be contaminated with Leptospira.
None of the symptons of early Leptospirosis or Weils Disease are pathognomonic and diagnosis is based on laborarty investigations. Should you suspect the holder may have been infected please arrange for the appropriate tests. The infection may resemble influenza in the early stages".

Showinng them something like that works. One bloke I work with went in to his gp a while ago with flu like symptoms showed the card, walked out minus lots of blood and a perscrption for the strongest antiboitics the doc could think up. Lucky for him no lepto found just regular flu but full blood work was done as they found he had something else wrong that he didnt even know about.
I think the BCU should issue something like that but for boaters. doesnt need to be big mines the size of a credit card.

Peronally I think if you present to a GP and say i have Flu like symptoms but I am a high risk group for catching lepto I think I might have it (esp if youve have been boating recently) and they do nothing you go to A&E and do the same and repeat until you get bloodtest and medcine. And if you are well at the end of it change doctors to someone else and register a complaint they werent doing their job.

Mark hope you get well and back on the water soon.

elliott42kev

Post by elliott42kev » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I picked up lepto at Newark weir at the end of the summer floods of 2007.
I had symptoms develop after 3 days, went to the doctors and had 11 blood
tests done and was given a course of antibiotics.

When the test results came back, the doc had me stop taking the antibiotics
because she thought it was them causing the high readings of the liver screening
test, i'd only taken them for 3 days! I felt shit all that weekend and when I went
back to the docs, more tests were back and different doc immediately put me
back on the anti-bi saying I shouldn't have been told to stop taking them!

Luckily for me, apart from having a bad first week and having blood tests taken for
over a month, as it was still in my system, I made a full recovery.

I still paddle the Trent, although I do wonder if there have been cases of anybody
catching it twice? I never did find out if mine was bovine or rodent but am led to
believe you build immunity after catching it.

Now, if I have any cuts I cover them with blister plasters and electrical tape or the expensive
w.p. plasters. Standard water proof plasters are useless at the best of times. Being more aware of personal
hygiene when paddling is better than ignoring it and hopping for the best!

markba

Post by markba » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Update from me:

Doctor has called me at 2pm as test results for Leptospirosis have come back positive and still active in my body! I need to now have more tests and bloods, back to doctors today, tomorrow, and most of next week, hospital for tests (to be sent to LRU again) in 6 days time and a double dose prescription of doxycycline for the next two weeks after which hospitalisation for dialysis if still unwell...

I feel more worried now than I did when I left the 3rd Hospital..especially as symptoms have returned over the weekend with stomach and kidney pains, coughing and complete exhaustion...

Dave Thomas

Post by Dave Thomas » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Looking on the bright side, at least you are being taken seriously at last! All the best for as prompt and total a recovery as may be possible.
Dave Thomas

alexpethybridge

Post by alexpethybridge » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 am

elliott42kev wrote:
I still paddle the Trent, although I do wonder if there have been cases of anybody
catching it twice? I never did find out if mine was bovine or rodent but am led to
believe you build immunity after catching it.
You do build immunity to the strain that infected you, unfortunately there are a lot of strains so the one you caught this time might not be the one you catch next time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospira
Some days are diamonds

Hendri Coetzee

Jon_Brown

Post by Jon_Brown » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:17 pm

As well as printing out a copy of the Leptospira Reference Unit form (the HPA link on page 1) as MarkBa did, it could be worth downloading and printing out a copy of the HSE INDG84 'Leptospirosis Are you at risk?' document and then cutting out/laminating the 'To the doctor' panel on second page?

From the HPA site - Serum specimens are tested twice weekly with a turn around time of 7 days, so even if you convince the Dr to send off a sample for testing it could be nearly two weeks before the result come back.

markba

Post by markba » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:14 pm

Update from me:

Doctor has called me again this week for an emergency appointment as last test results for Leptospirosis have come back still positive and still active in my body! I have now had more tests and bloods completed at hospital on Thursday (to be sent to LRU again) hopefull will get results of Liver/Kidney Function etc. early next week and results from the LRU in about 3 weeks I guess...

However, this time no medication as I have already had 3 weeks of doxycycline and 9 days IV Antibiotics so just have to await the experts advice...but cannot find any other cure/medication searching the World Health Organisation's records etc. as dialysis does not seem an option if kidneys/liver functioning okay still...

I feel just as worried as before.....symptoms now stomach pains (bowel gas caused by bacteria/weils), headaches, malaise, and lethargy...

I hope that my fears are unfounded and that my new found paranoia is based on my GP & Hospital Doctors lack of knowledge about Leptospirosis (as very uncommon in UK/England) so other countries Doctors may give better information, advice and treatment based on more experience and results....one guy in Taiwan spent 80 days in hospital for Weils!!!

Due to getting bored and depressed I had been out for 3 river paddles but now have lost the energy and enthusiasm...hoping to get some positive news and treatment sometime soon....

Cheers, Mark

elliott42kev

Post by elliott42kev » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Mark, wondered when you'd get to post your next
update! Sounds like you've a bit of a battle going on
in more ways than one. Hope you get to kick it into
and put it behind you soon.

All the best, Kev.

TechnoEngineer

Post by TechnoEngineer » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Shit! Get well soon dude.....
XL-Burn-3 / Monstar / Kodiak / My Videos

markba

Post by markba » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Update from me:

It has been a while and I am still suffering with long term Liver & possibly Kidney Damage (only recently being identified via continuous bloods since getting Weils Disease), but at least I am alive....

As I have not been able to do much paddling (tried and suffered, now in too much pain) I have been fundraising for my old local club instead....

I am still hoping for recovery to get back to paddling again frequently....maybe next year!

Cheers, stay safe! Mark

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”