Morriston Weir (Swansea)

South of Severn/ Rheidol catchment
kayak1

Morriston Weir (Swansea)

Post by kayak1 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Just come off the lower weir in morriston (playboating) noticed a large branch or small tree in the hole at medium level, just about visable as it hits the hull of the boat when doing moves...possible snaging of swimmer or rolling in the hole.....anyone in the area at very low levels should be able to move the obstruction..please watch out!

whuxy

Re: Morriston Weir (Swansea)

Post by whuxy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Its a large branch, its been there about 2 weeks now. I tried to move it when the river was low but couldnt. It's just right of the centre of the wave. I also noticed a bike in there too but probably not to much of an issue. Couldnt see down that far today so may have gone now.

whuxy

Post by whuxy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Went down there today,really low levels. Managed to remove the bike and a trolley. Also got ride of a gas bottle and settee cushion. That tree is a real PITA though, wont budge on a rope. Maybe try a cheapo hand winch and see if it'll move.

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Great....I have tried Swansea university club, but no response as yet .

axeman

Post by axeman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 pm

I've not been down to the weirs for a while ..Is it out of the water at summer low flows ? planning on cutting the tree down thats in the rapid immediately below the drop on the mid tawe with a chainsaw anyway . could kill 2 birds with one stone ?

kayak1

Post by kayak1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Hi..Thanks for the response, I assume its on the river bed well stuck! but may be able to cut from the top, There may be a chance that someone with a winch will be able to drag it out if cutting doesn't work...but I'm waiting to hear from the chap with a winch within the next few days...cheers