Kaspian SK18 and Point65 XRAY

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
monkeyboy

Kaspian SK18 and Point65 XRAY

Post by monkeyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 am

I know there are some reviews about on these two boats, but I was wondering if anybody has owned/used either of them extensively?
Keep 'er lit
Si

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:13 pm

Mr Rainsley and Dr Wilcox will be along shortly - - - -

Have you found the Reviews page in the Almanac on the sea site? www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk - reviews there.

Regs - Mike.

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:16 pm

Yip,have read the reviews just wanted to hear from others before making a decision.
Thanks

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:43 pm

I suspect my SK18 has already had at least as much use as any other. What specifically did you want to know?
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:48 pm

really just on overview. Whats it been like paddling day to day? Would it be suitable as a day boat as opposed to a full on exped boat. The boat I have spent most time in would be a NDK Romany. I know this is a shorter boat than th '18,but any comparisons would be very welcome. Thanks.
Keep 'er lit
Si

RoryD

Point65N Xray

Post by RoryD » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:07 pm

HI;

I’ve had the 2004 version of the Point65N Xray this paddling season and like it a lot. The winds this summer in the NW Highlands have given it a pretty good test– laden and unladen.

It is very seaworthy, seems pretty fast/efficient to me, and has incredible secondary stability. It replaced my Nordkapp HM and I was concerned it might be rather boring in comparison, but the straight v-hull and flared sides seem to allow it sensitivity and speed as well as this amazing stability. Suits me very well as I am quite often solo and also like to take photos.

The lack of hull rocker, with the skeg and rudder fitted to my boat, mean I have no problems holding a line whatever the weather/sea. Surfing fully laden “no hands” is a wonderful new experience. It carves leaned turns well unladen, but at slow/no speed (esp laden) its certainly not the most manoeuvrable boat out there (foredeck can catch the wind too) – until you drop the rudder. Only material downside for me is the weight for manhandling on land – but I believe the 2005 “Xray” is significantly lighter.

So a really great boat for journeying, whether day trips or expeditioning, but not the most manoeuvrable for pottering or manhandling.

Cheers,

- Rory

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:42 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Would it be suitable as a day boat as opposed to a full on exped boat.
I use it happily as a day boat, but it needs loading a bit unless you like a 'lively' ride. It turns easily enough due to the rocker, but at 18 feet long may be a bit tight for rockhopping and turning in caves.

Only gripe I've had is that after eight months of heavy use, some water has started seeping into the hatches on rough days. I *think* that the deck fittings have worked a bit loose and will go around with a spanner and some sealant shortly to see if that fixes it.

Basically, I've been very happy with the boat. My personal taste in sea kayaking is simply going from A to B however, which the SK18 does rather well.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:59 am

The only thing I can add is that I suspect you'll find almost any sea boat (apart from a Rockpool Alaw / Alaw Bach) less manoeuvrable than a Romany- at 16' they're one of the most manoeuvrable sea kayaks around.

I guess it depends on what you want to do most of- for rockhopping / playing / surfing you want manoeuvrability, and for A-to-B strainght line stuff, longer water-line / speed.

Zoe

Kayaks'N'Beer

Post by Kayaks'N'Beer » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:00 pm

The main gripe I had with the Point65 was the contour of the deck. I can see where they're coming from with the -not banging your knuckles when using a really high paddle stroke - thing but I don't have a particularly high stroke and, any time I have used one I never had a problem with the deck. The downside of the shape (kinda like a hard-chined hull but upside down) is that I found my knees forced into the middle and not out to the side like I usually paddle - it didn't feel unstable at all, just wierd.

What really amazed me about the craft was the rudder system and the foot controls. The seal-line footpegs are the only thing I've seen that allows you to actually brace your legs hard and still work the rudder. I have to admit its the only time I've felt so well positioned when using a rudder. Also the way the rudder slips through the mounting made it less likely to jam, get tangled or smack off the deck when you're pulling it in - very clever.

It tracks very nicely and responds as well to edging as could be expected given the limited rocker and chine. One last thing was the hatch covers - the day hatch was too small for me to get my camera case in, I'm the last person using an slr as opposed to digital, and the covers overall seemed a bit ill-fitting. I know you have to make allowances for a demo boat but these didn't seem particularly old/knackered.

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:38 pm

What I meant to say (and forgot) was that - whatever the advice given here from current boat users - you'd obviously be barking if you didn't try before you buy, whatever the boat.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:36 pm

I agree Mark, just wanted to find out any info that I might not have oicked up on during a demo. What to do!! XRAY looks awsome. What I'm after is a boat that is good for surf,day/wend trips and a bit of rock/cave action. The Romany is ace, but something a bit quicker and also a bit different would be nice. The price is nice also. Thanks for everybodys info sofar. Anything else would be appreciated.
Si
Keep 'er lit. Remeber there are no fish under the ice

Fast Pat

Post by Fast Pat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:21 pm

monkeyboy wrote:What I'm after is a boat that is good for surf,day/wend trips and a bit of rock/cave action. The Romany is ace, but something a bit quicker and also a bit different would be nice. Anything else would be appreciated.
Si
Well as others have said try as many as possible as it’s an expensive purchase. But with the criteria that you have set yourself above I would have a close look at a Rockpool Alaw - its certainly very different, quick, surfs well and very manoeuvrable. And the build quality is second to none. When I’ve let others have a go in mine and been in their sea kayak and subsequently got back in mine, I’ve always thought that its like getting out of a tank (regardless of the other boat) and into a supercar!