Fowey River - Golitha Falls Carpark to Treverbyn Mill

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

Fowey River - Golitha Falls Carpark to Treverbyn Mill

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark R

Re: RIVER FOWEY (Golitha Falls Carpark to Treverbyn Mill)

Post by Mark R » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Dec 2007 ...'Paddlers have been paddling the River Fowey this week which is outside the access agreement. These irresponsible few are putting at risk the whole access agreement for this river. The riparian owners have complained to the access officer and threatened to withdraw from any access agreement for this river. The access agreement is from the 1st January to 31st March subject to water levels - Andy Davey'
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:03 am

Mark R wrote:Dec 2007 ...'Paddlers have been paddling the River Fowey this week which is outside the access agreement. These irresponsible few are putting at risk the whole access agreement for this river. The riparian owners have complained to the access officer and threatened to withdraw from any access agreement for this river. The access agreement is from the 1st January to 31st March subject to water levels - Andy Davey'
Well that could well have been some of my cohorts and I but bollocks to it as there is no access agreement anyway any more as they started trying to charge for it (I think they wanted around £300 a year). The access agreement only allowed paddling on the playspot section anyway (Halway house down to Bodmin Parkway station, Grade 2 with a few weirs and drops two of which create excellent playspots and one of which is probably an easy grade 3 at most levels) with a level 3 or higher coach having to be present with a handful of runs a year allowed on the Trago Mills section also with a level 3 or higher coach in tow.

You may get moaned at by a fisherman or two on the playspot section and do please keep an eye out for lines as they often hide behind trees or foliage on this section and we don't want to go upsetting them if avoidable. I have once encountered a fisherman on the Gollitha Falls section, he was not happy but he was the only one I have ever come across on that section of the river.

If anyone wants any information about any section of this river (at least down as far as Bodmin Parkway station, it is just touring country beyond that with little of interest to me) feel free to contact me.

Denzil

Baylo

Post by Baylo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:00 pm

No Hope for the dart agreement then :)

buck197

Post by buck197 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:49 pm

I had a walk down to Golitha Falls from the car park(get in) just over the bridge and there were two river wide trees. The first was about 300m down from the bridge and looked like it had been there some time, the second looked new and had orange warning netting on the roots. The second was only a foot above the water level and this was at a lowish level I think. I guess at a good level this could be very nasty and a portage. These two trees were before the river makes a 90 degree turn and starts to drop quite rapidly towards Golitha falls. Image of 2nd tree from downstream.

Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

drking

Post by drking » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi Brian,

Are there still many trees in the river around the corner where the good stuff starts? I haven't been down this stretch for a while now but last time I walked along it wasn't pretty (from a paddling point of view).

Cheers,
Dan.

buck197

Post by buck197 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:21 pm

There are a few trees in the grade 4 section and it would be interesting with a decent amount of water in but none that blocks a path through other tan the two I mentioned..
Brian Taylor
Paddle Pirates

drking

Post by drking » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:28 am

Cheers Brian. I live less than 5 minutes from this section but rarely paddle it due to the constant falling trees. Its a nightmare. If you fancy a good walk/mission, Withey Brook is worth a look too.
Bring on the rain!
Dan

Peacukettlewell

River Fowey

Post by Peacukettlewell » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi
I was wondering what the access was like around the upper river and around Golitha Falls. Mainly the get out between Golitha Car park and Treverbyn Mill I know that there is a public footpath running down a lot of it but what happens after that. The Main article on Golitha falls was written in 2006 but since that their was this post and was wondering if there was any other access arrangements other than 1st January - 31st March?
I obviously don't want to upset anyone when I paddle it and want others to still be able to paddle it.
I live in Bedford and go to my holiday home near lands end regularly and found that this is the only grade 4 river in Cornwall.
Any information would be helpful (as most of the stuff is out of date on the website to do with Golitha falls), such as; active clubs, local paddlers to run it with, any trees down?, any other 3+ rivers in Cornwall that are worth while, best river levels to run it at and if its worth.
Thanks and Hope you can help me out.
Andy
Viking Kayak Club

harry_paddle

Re: Fowey River - Golitha Falls Carpark to Treverbyn Mill

Post by harry_paddle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:26 pm

anyone done this recently?

Baylo

Post by Baylo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Did it last winter, great run, some trees down but with good flows most of them are passable and could be cleared in a half day.

Paul

Conrad Dowding

Post by Conrad Dowding » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 am

Did this Monday the 4th nov, gauge at Trekeivesteps was around 0.58 which was a low but non scrapey level.
Lots of trees, 4 portages and at 5 dodgy sneaks from memory. A great run though, all the portages were dead easy but in higher flows this would be quite dangerous as some of the trees are round blind corners or have few eddies above.

Conrad

Return to “England - Southwest”