Advice on uneven surface of my composite kayak

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
truckturner

Advice on uneven surface of my composite kayak

Post by truckturner »

Advice please I have just noticed my new p&h composite kayak is slightly concave at the base of each bulkhead probably by about 2 to 3 mil giving it a slightly uneven surface which looks worse than it is . Is this common with composite boats its factory fresh racked and stored properley and I have used it once. Would not mind a few comments before I phone the dealer tomorrow Its had a factory keel strip fitted.

Peter

Mikebelluk

Re: Advice on uneven surface of my composite kayak

Post by Mikebelluk »

I don't think it's acceptable, send it back and ask for a properly finished boat or a refund.
P&H build quality is normally very good, but I recommend anyone who buys a new boat inspects it under fluorescent strip lighting as that will quickly show up any ripples in the surface.
I've seen brand new boats before where this type of concavity goes all round the hull, which indicates the bulkheads probably weren't fully cured before fitting and have shrunk slightly thus pulling the hull in.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Sounds like a curing problem, call up and talk it over. There were some issues with pigment 18 months ago that were causing boats at random from all manufacturers to develop ripples, but yours seems to be associated with bulkheads so will be somethign different, but still not quite right.

Ligan

Post by Ligan »

Having built various composite boat bits and hulls it sounds like not enough time in the mould, it can take several days for some of the better Epoxys to cure unless you bung them in an oven.

truckturner

Post by truckturner »

Sent photos to P&H awaiting reply

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

Sounds like the bulkheads were glassed in with a mix too hot, causing the boat to warp under the heat, if there isn't enough space around the edges of the bulkheads then it will show on the outside of the boat.
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

Jim

Post by Jim »

p.r.unicycles wrote:Sounds like the bulkheads were glassed in with a mix too hot, causing the boat to warp under the heat, if there isn't enough space around the edges of the bulkheads then it will show on the outside of the boat.
I didn't think anyone was still using resin to fix bulkheads, more likely to be a flexible adhesive like 291.

p.r.unicycles

Post by p.r.unicycles »

Jim wrote:
p.r.unicycles wrote:Sounds like the bulkheads were glassed in with a mix too hot, causing the boat to warp under the heat, if there isn't enough space around the edges of the bulkheads then it will show on the outside of the boat.
I didn't think anyone was still using resin to fix bulkheads, more likely to be a flexible adhesive like 291.
Resin and strips fibreglass matt. the bulkheads are then flow coated (cover completely in gelcoat)
Pete @ P&H sea kayaks

Jim

Post by Jim »

p.r.unicycles wrote:
Jim wrote:
Resin and strips fibreglass matt. the bulkheads are then flow coated (cover completely in gelcoat)
I know how it's done, I just didn't think anyone still did it. Laminating the bulkheads creates hard spots which eventually fail, I'm sure all the boats I have looked in recently have them sikaflexed, I probably haven't looked in a P&H. Actually, I have probably mostly looked in Rockpools.