Goyt (New Mills to Brabyns Park)

North of the Severn drainage, west of the Pennines
kayak kaos

Goyt (New Mills to Brabyns Park)

Post by kayak kaos »

Last edited by kayak kaos on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers for now,
Colin.

caveman_si

Post by caveman_si »

The hydro project while taking water off above the weir and sticking it back in below the weir it has to maintain a minimum water level going over the weir.
Off the top of my head I think it is about 3 cms but could be wrong. But like any weir be careful when paddling it.

Pete K

Re: RIVER GOYT

Post by Pete K »

Paddled the Goyt from New Mills station to paper mill area yesterday. Water levels were low as expected and it was a bit of a bum scrape but that was not the problem. Along the trailside a number of trees have been felled very recently into the water, directly across from bank to bank. Most require a tree caving experience but at least 3 need carrying round. The trees are all tethered to the bank by steel cable so they don't move. I don't know if this is standard practice pre logging or if this has been done deliberately to stop access by boats. Either way it is very dangerous and we had a close call at least once.
Just thought I'd better spread the word.

Richard Moss

Post by Richard Moss »

I've made enquiries and highlighted the risks to canoeists/recreational water users. It turns out that this is part of works to reduce bank erosion and improve habitat for fish and invertebrates along this stretch of river (and certainly aren't intended as anti-canoeist). The work is being led by the Wild Trout Trust with Disley and New Mills Angling Club (with the Environment Agency as partners). The latest works appear to have been done last weekend(18/19 Sept 2010) - once the trees lose their leaves/needles etc and consolidate into the bank - hopefully the hazard will reduce/disappear. Apparently the next spate flow should do most of the work.
Some more info and pictures at the links below
http://www.wildtrout.org/index.php?opti ... Itemid=311
which links to a blog here
http://urbantrout.blogspot.com/
which in turn links to photos on
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/general-fly- ... bitat.html

It is also worth noting that there are also some in-river features that may present snag-hazards - they appear to be 'flow deflectors' made from logs pinned to the river bed with reinforcing bar.
Pictures can be seen on the Disley and New Mills Angling Club blog
http://dnmacgoyt.blogspot.com/2010/09/a ... -flow.html.

Chris Cleaver

Post by Chris Cleaver »

Otterspool Bridge and Weir are currently obstructed by two things. October 2011.

The bridge parapet is being rebuilt requiring scaffolding down into the river, I guess this will be fairly short term job.

A hydropower plant is being built on the right hand bank beside the weir. The weir is not effected but the fenced construction site obstructs the walk route from the get out under the bridge to the road. The get out is therefore not useable. This work will go on untill January. When the work is completed the hydro plant will be small and the walk route will be useable.
The hydro plant is a community project paid for and owned by a co-operative of local people. See http://www.h2ope.org.uk/index.php?optio ... 7&Itemid=2
Chris Cleaver

Pete K

Post by Pete K »

Paddled as a group of 4 solo open canoes today from New Mills train station to the Manchester Canoe Club slalom site.
EA river gauge at Brabyns Park stayed on 0.50m throughout the trip and although you could get away with a few cm's lower I would class this as lowest level for canoes.
1 portage wier, 1 portage tree blockage and a lot of trees to sneak through at low water but would be dangerous in high water.

I will put up a guide for New Mills to Brabyns as soon as I can but the highlights are;

1. Sloping weir at get on, if it goes the rest of the trip is fine.
2. Rapid immediatly below, Gd 2.
3. Some overhung Gd 1/2 stuff before the paper mill.
4. Big vertical wier near paper mill - Portage!
5. Small 1ft sloped wier after mill, near long pipe.
6. Big sloped wier, 5ft. Good play spot but lots of metal rubbish about.
7. Gd 1 mainly to Roman Lakes.
8. Huge vertical wier under viaduct - Interesting portage route!
9. Best section to Brabyns, Gd 1/2 ledge rapids with nice play potential and finally a good Gd 3 ledge drop under the bridge in Marple town.
10. Sloping concrete wier forming the EA River Gauge at Brabyns Park.
11. Horseshoe wier (got me!)
12. Gd 2 sections after aquaduct/viaduct.
13. MCC Slalom site.

Total paddling time about 4 hours plus breaks and shuttles.

Built a mount for my Olympus Tough camera and will be uploading some stuff to YouTube and my site soon. If your interested look at http://www.peakinstruction.com or my YouTube channel: Peak Instruction.

Jim Pullen

Re: RIVER GOYT (New Mills to Brabyns park)

Post by Jim Pullen »

Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Pete K

Post by Pete K »

More works on the Goyt - this time the broken weir below the MCC site at Marple.
http://manchestercanoeclub.org.uk/phpBB ... ?f=1&t=644

Pete K

Post by Pete K »

Paddled the section above New Mills tonight from Whaley Bridge basin. It doesn't warrent its own guide but is an extra hour of entertainment. Parked at New Mills station for get off.
Starts narrow below the spill way at the Basin, don't be tempted to seal launch off it as its about a metre onto rocks. If there is enough water flowing to paddle at the get on the rest of the trip will be fine.
Lots of trees to sneak through and plenty of hanging branches, we didn't have to portage at low level but in higher flows be wide awake.
Lots of grade 1/2 stuff and some nice tunnels, then a nice drop of about a foot by a farm with a very strong eddy. A little weir on entering Torrs Riverside Park before New Mills has a sneak route left but is fine, Just before the Torrs is a 1ft weir (strong current) and then get out river right when you see the horizon line and the massive noise. This is the big (6ft) weir which doesn't look nice at all.
We carried down and got on about 100m below and shot down the big sloping weir just left of centre. Huge haystack at the bottom to swim through and a good eddie in cetre flow. From here it is a 200m blast doen big grade 3ish waves to arrive at New Mills Station.
Get off here or carry on to the next section.

Again, take care of trees.

Pete K

Post by Pete K »

From the Manchester Canoe Club forum:
RE the EA sloping weir in Brabyns Park.
"contractors are altering weir there is steelwork and ropes across the weir, the middle and left shute are roped off and blocked, dont go any where near, possible look at right shute or best option walk it"

Return to “England - Northwest”