DW 2012

Marathon, Freestyle, Polo, Slalom, Sprint, WWR, etc.
JDW72

Re: DW 2012

Post by JDW72 »

Hope everybody knows some good raindances......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15791344

Locks 61 to 80 are pretty much all without paddle-able water. I know somebody who tried to paddle on one section earlier this week and got stuck mid-canal about 30 yards short of a portage. It was all a bit scary for a minute or two apparently as one of the them was sinking into the gloop. They were in K2 and their partner managed to get to the bank and pull them out using the paddle.

The smell once they'd been pulled out was apparently unbelievable.

Does anyone know how quickly the canals can fill up with sustained rain? Is it like the rivers where within a couple of days of heavy rain the levels rise and all returns to normal or does it take longer? I'm guessing it takes longer.

Be careful.
JDW72

barmy

Post by barmy »

I have just dug out the pogies And spraydecks. Now it feels like DW training has commenced.
The obstacle isthe path
www.paddlemad.blogspot.com

tiredandirritable

Post by tiredandirritable »

Please could somebody with a bit more idea than me please visit the DW site noticeboard and help a couple of people with their questions.
Happy paddling

Hels948

Re: DW 2012 Challenge - non paddler wants to complete DW.

Post by Hels948 »

Hi
A friend of mine wants to do the DW. He's a paddler - I'm not but he can't find anyone who'll do it. I'm always up for a challenge so i said i would try and see if i could reach a level of competence.

So just over 3 months. I've got no kit. I've done a small amount of paddling but i'm really a novice. However, i'm running/mountain biking fit and do lots of adventure challenges. I live in Andover but i work in Fareham. So i'm just looking for some advise. Should i join a club - if yes which one. Do i need to buy kit or can i hire / borrow it until i've worked out if i'm capable of making it. Any thoughts - I'm desperately keen and mad enough to do this but don't know the best way to achieve the results i need.

Thanks

James Hinves

Post by James Hinves »

Hi Hels
As you suspected the best info is to Join a Club, from your locations there are 2 options Southampton CC http://www.southamptoncc.co.uk/ or B3C at Mytchett http://www.b3c.org.uk/home/index.html

Southampton Have a novice DW group starting and B3C will usually have lots of people training

Hope this helps

James

OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Hi Hels,

If I were you I’d target the 2013. Three months may seem a long time but with the lack of light and the times when the water will be frozen early next year, you won’t get many opportunities to train.

The DW can’t be taken lightly, you can not imagine the difficulty of the challenge until you have done it and you need to plan your first time for every eventuality and ideally partner with someone who’s done it before.

I’ve been a racing cyclist with Andover Wheelers for 13 years (track, MTB, RR, TT, Cyclo-cross) and the muscle sets count for very little in a kayak. The running experience is useful as there’s plenty of it between Devizes and Westminster. Ironically, you will see a benefit on the bike from the canoeing cross training experience.

Get yourself a stable kayak and get out on the water as much as possible, not on your own because you will go swimming. Do the Waterside Series (http://www.watersideseries.org.uk/) and the Thameside (http://www.reading-canoe.org.uk/) for some experience, these events are nice and local. Bank support a crew on the race itself if you can.

Definitely join a club and you’ll need to join the BCU too. (http://www.bcu.org.uk/)

Unfortunately being mad isn’t enough (although it helps!) A successful completion is the result of planning, preparation, organisation and dedication to training. You also need to know as much about the course as possible during the day and at night as the locks and weirs are dangerous even to experience paddlers.

I don’t wish to appear patronising but I do hope you take the event seriously and prepare properly to give yourself the best chance of success.

Good luck,

jimbo-hamble

Post by jimbo-hamble »

Well it certainly feels like DW training now, last nights training session on the Hamble was certainly a test of grit and determination to complete a 5 mile paddle!! looks like the wind is due to ease next week but that will bring the joys of winter frost and ice. Oh how I love training for this mad race!! Has anyone else had any mad paddles lately?

Hengle

Post by Hengle »

Jimbo
I think this link says volumes about this mornings exploits http://connect.garmin.com/activity/139059712 although being high tide I was "a little" futher offshore than the gps track makes it look!
James

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Hi James,
Proof , if I didn't already need it, that you can walk on water!
I hope you were also higher than your elevation figures suggest. A minimum elevation of -109ft is quite a dive without breathing apparatus.
Conditions were quite testing this morning even on the sheltered, tree lined ditch that is the Basingstoke Canal. Gusts of wind nearly had us over, twice, and we struggled to make any forward progress through one of the bridge holes.
Liz

barmy

Post by barmy »

LOL, You are all nuts. I am sticking to the ergo in this weather. I really dont fancy a dunking.
I video'd myself on the ergo yesterday and appart from being rather amusing it isnt much help at all. however I can't actually tell what I am doing right or wrong, I can only deduce that I don't look like the pro's. Oh Dear!
The obstacle isthe path

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Barmy,
If you are feeling brave you can post the video online give us the link and sit back whilst everyone dissects your style. Not for the faint hearted I feel. Alternatively, look at technique videos online and compare them to your video. You use markers to reference the stroke to compare yours against the pros, eg height of top hand relative to shoulders, catch position relative to feet, recovery of paddle look at position of hand relative to knee or elbow to hip, paddle shaft close to vertical whilst in water etc
Liz

andy g

Post by andy g »

This is a post for Jason A re support crew maps.

The link you posted last year no longer works , could you possibly re-submit them and activate it again.
I have my own set from last year (many many thanks) but I would like to give some to the newer support crew members for this years event.

How did Waterside A go for people?

Andy G

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Waterside A 2012 is yet to happen, the fun starts on Feb 12th. The lucky 400 paddlers have been named on the Waterside website http://www.watersideseries.org.uk/
There has been some bank repairs done at Marsh Benham, soft fabric stretched over posts as you approach the lock. It has been back filled with earth which has not compacted yet so is very soft and squelchy if you get out there. The metal bank edges are still in place close to the lock, but not always accessible if barges are parked there.
Liz

Mike Summersong

Post by Mike Summersong »

Hi DW ers

Hope everyones training is going well - just starting to think of ways of making life easier for our support crew - is there such a thing as a list of postcodes for all of the supportable locks on the Thames ? If anyone has a link it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Mike + Sue ( C2 )

JasonA

Post by JasonA »

Can't remember where I got to when I posted them last year, but they now have long/ lat and also a postcode which is close. I would check your sat nav thinks the postcode is similar to google maps http://www.sendspace.com/file/szrwcu. No DW for me this year with tennis elbow and more white water, hope you all enjoy it.

andy g

Post by andy g »

Thanks Jason
The download is not proving easy (possibly because this is a work computor with lots of firewalls etc).
I thought I had cracked it then I got a message to say that this webpage is no longer available . Is this just my inept IT abilities or is there something wrong.

Sorry to hear about your tennis elbow, but maybe I will see you on the white water sometime this year.

Andy

kvin

Post by kvin »

We did the waterside a course on sunday - the lock on the common before Hungerford (Hungerford Marsh) is being repaired so a good run round some metal fencing on the right. Some people support there and the bridge is blocked so only worth doing if you can get to the south side. And the gate in the fence at the lock after Hungerford (Dunmill) was locked so everyone had to climb the fence. In previous years there has been a marshal making everyone get out very early for that lock, does anyone know whether the organisers will do this again?

I'm still c1 ing, have now done 34 miles on the Thames in the c1 at 5mph so considering DW this year but haven't entered yet!!

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy »

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice please.

Can anyone recommend a reliable, rugged and cheap gps? We only need it to give us our current and average speed so I'm not worried about mapping as I'm pretty sure I know which way to go by now. ;-)

Looked at something like a second hand Garmin 205 but the battery life's short at 10 hours so was thinking along the lines of a Garmin etrex? I guess I'd just tape it to the boat so I could read our spoeed (or lack thereof!) over the water. If anyone's got one that they have knocking around they'd like to get rid of then please let me know.

Hope that everyone's training is going ok. It's all getting a bit too close. :-/

barmy

Post by barmy »

What are peoples thoughts on the tide this year. We are doing about 5.2 mph on the river but that may slow if we are tired. At that speed we will get to the tideway an hour and a half after high tide. It doesn't give much leeway if u do slow or have any problems. Is anyone thinking of starting the evening before and doing the canal over night. Has anyone got experience of doing this. What are peoples thoughts on this?
The obstacle isthe path

tiredandirritable

Post by tiredandirritable »

Heck I have not started to think about the tideway. I am not sure I will even get that far. Comforting myself with the fact that what you do not think about can not bother you. Otherwise the chance of sleeping soundly in my bed will diminish.

BTK66

Post by BTK66 »

Wheezy - ask on the Racing Canoe Clubs Facebook page. You'll get lots of informed replies very quickly. You need to request access first. https://www.facebook.com/groups/racingcanoeclubs/

Hackworth

Post by Hackworth »

Barmy,

Most of us slow during the race. We aim to start at about 5.6mph, and probably drop to 5.2mph by the end. If you're late on the tide you will be slower - but I think the morning window is quite wide anyway, so you'll get there, just a bit slower. One positive is that the river levels will be lower if the tide is lower, so there might be fewer reflected waves.

In 2008 the race was run the opposite way round. Personally I liked this, because the canal is easy in the dark (although that could be because that's where we train anyway) and the sun coming up to give a morning on the river was very cheering. The downside is that you might have river traffic on the tideway, which can make waves, and you might be finishing at night.

That said - we're very tempted to run the race the other way round anyway - but the deciding factor for us is probably the river traffic, so we'll probably stick with a morning start.

Wheezy,

We use a small yellow E-Trek. You can make this show distance, speed and average in big, backlit characters. It's splash resistant - but not waterproof, batteries last about 6 hours at night. It's pretty good (although really only the average speed is worth looking at - the instantaneous is so variable it's only the roughest of guides) but would probably die in the case of a full immersion. A clear dry bag would be a good idea - Decathlon sell them.

hairybiker

Post by hairybiker »

Regarding information for supporters, I have found the following site;
http://dwsupporters.2day.ws/dwsupporters
The postcodes I've used so far aren't always 100% but they'll get you somewhere close.
As far as GPS is concerned, I can recommend the Etrex, my wife has been using one on her K2 for the past 5 months using a cycle mount onto a piece of bracketry that I made up that clamps onto the front of the cockpit. Sometimes it switches itself off if it gets thumped (I guess I should take a look at the battery contacts!).

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy »

Etrex it is then. thanks guys.

jimbo-hamble

Post by jimbo-hamble »

I've got a Garmin Foretrx 301. It's normally worn as a watch but it can easily be adapted to mount infront of the cockpit (as long as you dont mind drilling two holes for a cable tie!) or you can fit it on the back of the chap in the front seat... It's been in the canal a few times and it still works. Definetly worth a look

Wheezy

Post by Wheezy »

Many thanks Jimbo but I've literally just bought an etrex.

Next time ;-)

Eliza Dolittle

Post by Eliza Dolittle »

Has anyone got any up to date information about ice on the K&A?
I am hoping to go for a paddle there tomorrow. The Waterside site suggests it is unlikely which doesn't tally with a frost forecast tonight and a decidedly crunchy topping to the Basingstoke Canal yesterday morning.
Liz

lennart

Post by lennart »

for the supportcrew there are a number of files of the portages. postalcodes will not work. gps coordinates will work if your satnav does take them. you do not need all just the ones you need to be. better be on the save side , and have time to spare as supportteam. then mess up and miss them, Last year we used my cellphone with gps to send s textmessages erevy houre to the support to let then know where we are , but that was overkill.
Unfortunatly I will not paddle this year... have fun. I hope the cold is gone by quick so you can practice. have fun.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.

GrahamC

Post by GrahamC »

I've got an old etrex and its survived a few good dunkings (if anyone wants it then let me know as I now have a new etrex 20 which is a huge improvement in technology). The old one is still good for average speed and distance although, as mentioned, the instant speed is a little wild - I would love everyone to believe I can do 23mph in my k1 - but alas it was an erroneous reading!

For the past year I have been constantly running instamapper (www.instamapper.com) on an HTC wildfire with extended battery. When in the kayak it sits in a small peli-box attached by super strength velcro on the rear deck (with a safety line to the number plate holder). I have it set to send my position every 5 or 10 minutes and my position and speed can then be seen on the web site (which can be accessed by any smart phone or computer). Sometimes it registers the wrong position but mostly it has been spot on and is ideal for followers to use. Battery life with the extended battery, and set to register every 10 minutes, is about 36 hours max, 24 hours in weak signal locations).

Instamapper is a significant step up from google latitude as it sends position at set regular intervals - latitude seems to be totally random. I would post the link to my instamapper page - but then everyone would know where I was!

Graham

Mike Summersong

Post by Mike Summersong »

Hi Hairy Biker - Thanks for the postcode link - thats exactly the info we're looking for !

Barmy - We're doing the straight thru and aiming for the afternoon tide, it works out best for us for a variety of reasons ( navigation, support crew etc ). We're setting off at 6pm Saturday 4.5mph average on the canal, then 5 mph average on the river puts us thru at the start of the 2 hour window ( 4.30pm to 6.30pm ) with 2 - 3 hours on the tideway. Two considerations are the afternoon tide window is 2 hours not 4 as per the morning and also you need to advise the Chief Marshall a couple of days in advance if you are setting off after 12 on Saturday.

Are you K2 or C2 ?

Mike + Sue ( C2 )

PS - Plans are what make God laugh !