How should a modern ww boat 'fit'?

Inland paddling
underground

How should a modern ww boat 'fit'?

Post by underground » Wed May 11, 2011 6:02 pm

So, apologies for a newbie question! Just took delivery of an inazone 242 that should be well big enough for my size and weight.
When I sit in with the backrest slack, my knees meet together sticking up just above the cockpit. Maybe the footwear is too far back but the previous owner was 1-2" taller than me.

Last time I paddled in 96 Ish, you got right inside the boat with knees apart bracing against the underside of the cockpit, but I've never seen anyone in a modern boat without a spraydeck. Maybe this answers my question every time I see a little playboat- how does anyone get inside that?!

clarky999

Re: How should a modern ww boat 'fit'?

Post by clarky999 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:14 pm

Yep, knees go out to the side underneath the cockpit rim. If you can't get in, you can play around with moving the footblock/plate, and the seat.

underground

Post by underground » Wed May 11, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks! Definitely the footblock, but it's a nightmare to shift. Seems like the central foam is holding it in and I can't move that either

chrishart

Post by chrishart » Wed May 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Obvious statement but don't suppose there are some bolts to undo it - otherwise should be a simple couple of screws at the top to let you get the central column loose - although a few years since I owned an inazone!
The wetter the better!

underground

Post by underground » Wed May 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes - I've had the plastic threaded bar out that crosses the foam instead - will try screws next.

I can get inside the boat with no shoes on but still feel a bit like by toes should be able to 'point' forward, and anyway I need shoes. Never paddled a boat with thigh braces but they feel very snug, going for a swim though I expect gravity helps, does it? I pulled them back as far as I can, on the stern-most hole, to give my knees more of a chance.

Thanks for the replies so far!

LucyLou19

Post by LucyLou19 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:15 pm

Yep even with thigh braces and your knee's jammed in you'll pretty much fall out if you need to :)

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Wed May 11, 2011 8:30 pm

Gravity definately assists exit.

With respect to wanting your feet to point forwards.. move the footrest forward more (so it would be loose) and then make a supportive wedge out of minicell foam* and glue it to the plate.

*The foam the central pillar is made from, If you can't scrounge some, AS watersports sells the cheapest by the square foot pieces; it has to be glued with a solvent based impact adhesive like EvoStik
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

underground

Post by underground » Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Right, brilliant - thanks for setting my mind at rest about escaping! I've actually put the thigh braces right forward now and I can simply put my knees together and get out even on the lawn.

I think a lot of this is getting used to what feels to me like a tiny little boat after doing all my paddling in un-outfitted acrobats and that kind of thing. Comparatively this feels like being jammed in like a cork.

So, with the central column back in place I can fettle the footrests - it seems like the most natural position is actually 'heels together' like a frog as there'll be no chance of putting soles anywhere near the bottom of the boat - but not sure how the column will affect that.

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:07 pm

You don't want the soles of your feet on the bottom of the boat anyway - the ball of your foot should up on the foot plate/block. Heels together is fine.

underground

Post by underground » Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 pm

Cool, thanks. I think the initial shock was how cramped this 'big' boat felt! I guess I shouldn't accepting the usual definition of comfort...

clarky999

Post by clarky999 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Basically you want as tight a fit as is still comfortable - the more contact you have with the boat the more your movements will be translated to the boat, and the more control you have.

underground

Post by underground » Wed May 11, 2011 9:41 pm

clarky999 wrote:Basically you want as tight a fit as is still comfortable - the more contact you have with the boat the more your movements will be translated to the boat, and the more control you have.
Thanks Matt, I think some tinkering will see me right. I do need to sort the shoe thing out though. Are people wearing neoprene type boots or something else? I had skate type trainers on and they were too big for sure.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 pm

I tend to use inexpensive neoprene sailing/diving boots... people with smaller feet or bigger boats use canyoning boots (like neoprene walking boots) and larger feet and smaller boats call for neoprene socks, or even barefootedness.

Joshua Kelly

underground

Post by underground » Wed May 11, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks, Joshua, I'm glad you said that. I guess I'd assumed that everyone would wear a boot for scrambling around riverbanks and rocks, walking miles back to the car etc. Based on my limited and old school experience of course.

I take it the kind of boat you'd have to carry/ abseil past obstructions is a bigger beast like a creek boat and not trying to do everything like the inazone?

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars » Wed May 11, 2011 11:03 pm

underground wrote:Thanks, Joshua, I'm glad you said that. I guess I'd assumed that everyone would wear a boot for scrambling around riverbanks and rocks, walking miles back to the car etc. Based on my limited and old school experience of course.

I take it the kind of boat you'd have to carry/ abseil past obstructions is a bigger beast like a creek boat and not trying to do everything like the inazone?
To an extent... a friend of mine used his inazone as a creekboat for about 18 months, before ripping the rear end open, welding it shut, comically painting it and giving it to a club as the Inazone "Speed-Plate GTI"

You can use a boat like the inazone for all but the hardest rapids; but it will catch up with you one day just ask Tim (aka Poke) about the first step in making an "outazone" or Giles (aka Randy Fandango) about the upper spean.

Joshua Kelly

Yaker Dan

Post by Yaker Dan » Thu May 12, 2011 8:14 am

Hi

My first reactive answer was.. "Like a glove" Being connected with the boat gives you control.

From what you have said, you should really get a correct capsie drill done. (local club, buddy in water ect)

You will be able to get out of the boat in two ways...

1. Uncomfortable but out
Leaning back, doing the doggy paddle with the fealing of trapped legs/feet for a few seconds, but it was fine. (inner brain did not like it)
This is also a bad bad habit, as trying to get out of the boat before its upside down leads to not being able to find or reach your spray deck, and you may have to knee the deck off.

2. Smooth, controlled, protected exit
Its all about tucking up forwards and there are a few reason why. You can reach your spray deck handle!, your face is protected and helmet is towards the riverbed, when you progress to a roll the forward tuck is the first step.
Once you have pulled the spraydeck, lean forwards and hands on the cockpit sides, lift your bum out first, yourlegs will follow it, and do a forwards rollie pollie out of the boat, SLOW, Calm and controlled (inner brain likes this afterwards)

The second method will make learning fun, and you a more relaxed paddler. The first, only leaves negative fellings about being upside down.

Happy paddling!
Dan
River Strokes 01874 676102

Adrian Cooper

Post by Adrian Cooper » Thu May 12, 2011 9:45 am

Upside down, like taking your trousers off.

underground

Post by underground » Thu May 12, 2011 8:50 pm

yaker dan - I was just thinking 'but I can roll already!' and then decided that it was 'could' and that was getting on for 15 years ago. I reckon I'll be fine getting out in a capsize, but it's sound advice and I'll check that theory before I discover I'm wrong with my head underwater.

Gonna have a go at visting Sheffield City Kayak Club.

Pyro

Post by Pyro » Thu May 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Adrian Cooper wrote:Upside down, like taking your trousers off.
Not sure I've ever taken my trousers off upside dow, Adrian. At least not when sober... ;)
-------
Pyro's Yard - Random Wafflings

underground

Post by underground » Thu May 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Pyro wrote:
Adrian Cooper wrote:Upside down, like taking your trousers off.
Not sure I've ever taken my trousers off upside dow, Adrian. At least not when sober... ;)
And never with a spraydeck to worry about :)

I've done caving oversuit and wellies flat out / upside down when it got a bit too pristine & clean in some new discoveries. I think I'd rather get out of a boat, the cramp was awful!

waynebrown

Post by waynebrown » Thu May 12, 2011 10:19 pm

I like to be tight in my kayak but not tight so I cant shake my legs because of the onset of awful cramps in my legs

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”