River Plym - GR 583662 to Cadover Bridge

The Somerset Frome and Dorset Stour and westwards
Mark R

River Plym - GR 583662 to Cadover Bridge

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Last edited by Mark R on Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hardy

Above the Upper Plym

Post by hardy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 am

A group of us paddled this section on Sunday 13th Feb',and i am left wondering why it is not often paddled?The more usual "Upper Plym" was very high,even for a couple of "extreme" boaters in our group,IE the river at Cadover bridge and above looked a very decent grade 2 paddle.We elected to follow the guide book directions to access upstream and egress at Cadover Bridge.The description in the guide is as exactly as we found it.The walk in is best part of a mile,but not steep,just a gentle slope,once at the hill crest a steeper descent takes you to the river.The river,for at was a river, was in full spate and very fast.First km' was grade 2 ish,winding through a flooded marsh at one point,shortly after this the river steepens a bit and cranks up to grade 3,picking up speed,fun.Another km' and the grade that day kicked up to grade 4,small ledges and stoppers coming at you very fast,but nothing nasty.I noticed the "fence" mentioned,and indeed it would be prudent to maybe slowdown a little and catch a few eddies,to give time to scout from the boat.Gorse bushes had started to line the banks,and occasional small trees/bushes can be seen.A tree can be seen midstream 50m or so ahead,and directly upstream of this is a 1.5m rock pillar angled to catch the unwary paddler.Our unwary paddler got caught on it,and sat there valliantly marking the left channel exit for me.We all caught the large eddy behind,freed our man,and looked at the next section.This comprise of a second tree 20m downstream,which we portaged,and a 100m run up to a 1m drop left or a dodgy boof right,just above another tree.We all ran left no problems,and after this the river eases down,with a 500m flat section to the take out.
If you are fed up with the Walkham,middle Tavy,and everything is high,this is a great run,with the only hazzards in one identifyable spot,and plenty of space to recover and egress to decide if you want to run the "Upper Plym" proper just downstream.

Simon Westgarth

Re: Above the Upper Plym

Post by Simon Westgarth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:34 am

The Upper Upper Plym, West Dart, Tavy Cleeve, the East Oakment Slides and perhaps the Upper Erme, are all great flood level runs, if everything else is off your scale. Yes there is some walking, but nothing compared to elsewhere, and they are all worth the workout.

JohnAllan

Re: Above the Upper Plym

Post by JohnAllan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:41 am

If it's completely off the scale everywhere else, then I strongly recommend the 3km ish (drag in) to a Place called Eastern red lake, way above Tavy cleave. Take a compass! I've done this twice quite a long time ago. The walk in is from the end of the track at a small hut and hard stand area to the NE of Hill Bridge (east of the Tavy). Walk more or less NE, and start by following along to the right of the wall (enclosures), then more NE when on open moor. It's not as bad as it seems as the wind is bound to be blowing F5-6 from behind, and the moor so waterlogged you can drag a boat fairly easily. Start near the range signpost. Both times I've done it the road was flooded round Hill Bridge. For the 3Km walk in you potentially get about 12km of 4+ (maybe 5) paddling at that level. It gets harder when you get back into the trees at that level.

The West dart was a really great run on Sunday, with the EA gauge on the West Dart at 1.6m when we were there (roughly Newbridge at Bottom stone step covered, so lapping up to the first wooden step). Entertaining Grade 3-4 run, nothing too serious and much less bleak than I always expected it to be up there.
John Allan

http://www.mazingtree.com - Canoeist friendly IT Support

Return to “England - Southwest”