River Wear - Wear Head to Eastgate

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

River Wear - Wear Head to Eastgate

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 am

Last edited by Mark R on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jim Pullen

Re: RIVER WEAR (Wear Head to Eastgate)

Post by Jim Pullen » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Guide updated today - thanks to Andy Waddington.
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:15 am

Finally got to run this yesterday. The rivercall line had given the gauge reading as 0.8m at 0315. We got there around 1100 to find it had dropped to 0.35m at Stanhope ford.

We got on at the waterfall which went fine at these levels. Some amusing lines indicated that it was very hard to injure yourself going off this fall with a bit of water! The section from the fall to Wearhead was a real scrape, but just doable. From there to Daddry Shield was low, but not too low and still enjoyable.

At the Cowshill putt-in there is plenty of parking on the left just before the houses and bridge over the river.

To get out at Daddry Shield use the footpath on river right just before the main road bridge. You can park cars on the pavement here for loading, but for long term it may be better to park by the houses on the small road on river left near this bridge.

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 am

Standard fishy letter sent to UKRGB in Jan 09:
Joeseph Stubbs wrote:Hi Mark

Can I just pick up on a few points on canoeing the various stretches of the River Wear. While I've got no real problem with access I think it needs to be done though negotiation and not by assumption.

Apart from the trespass issue which can't be avoided there are others that I think you're contributors should consider.
Although the game angling season ends in October there continues to be a run of salmon and sea trout to the upper reaches of the river where they spawn. In navigating these waters there is the possibility of disturbing spawning fish and redds through canoeing activity. These are protected species and in fact there is ban on working in the river until early spring to give the ova a chance to become juvenile fish. In the lower river coarse fishing can continue until March.

The notices warning of shooting are there as a health and safety measure. There is a pheasant shoot operating in that area and I believe the butts are near to the river. Duck are also shot on the main river in season.

I've been involved with angling for a number of years and am charged a licence fee to fish, this doesn't include access to fishing which has to be agreed with the riparian owners. I hope that you will understand my point when I say that much resentment is felt by anglers and owners at people who do not contribute but take advantage.

As I said I'm not against controlled access to the River Wear which would take into account wildlife, seasonal use and other issues and would say that before you encourage others to use the river for free you should attempt to contact the land/riparianowners to fix up agreements. Many angling clubs have done this for 100 years in some cases and enjoy access through mutual respect with very little payment involved. There are new opportunities opening on the Wear and I suggest a good place to start would be with the Environment Agency and the front doors of riverside landowners.

Regards

Joe
To the best of my knowledge, and after consulting with others in the area, local paddlers have had no issue with fishing interests or landowners for the last few years including during the fishing season. Attempts were made to get some form of agreement/arrangement set up for the Wear, but the Anglers won't even attend talks. This river is not an access flash point, paddle when levels are appropriate to do so.

dgg2dwp

Post by dgg2dwp » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:18 am

The weir by the caravan site (just above the weir that broke last year at eastgate) has now broken. There is currently a 2-3m wide gap and id guess mit will get wider with the next set of high flows. Lots of metal work in the weir construction that is now scattered about the river bed down strea, so not a place to swim or roll!

Return to “England - Northeast”