Jetboil^

Places, technique, kayaks, safety, the sea...
Mark R

Jetboil^

Post by Mark R » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:50 pm

Was thinking of treating mesself to one of these...anyone know if they work with ordinary epigas-style propane/ butane mix gas canisters? There is some bumf in the instructions about only using jetboil-brand fuel....
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Douglas Wilcox

jetboil

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:29 pm

Hi Mark,

I am doing a test "High Tech v Low Cunning" on kit for quick brews for the issue of Paddles due ot 1st May.

a Jetboil,

a Kelly Kettle,

an Outdoor Designs Micro stove/MSR duralite pan

an Alladin stainless steel flask

Continuing on from the thread on the river side with respect to Paddles/magazine tests, I bought the JetBoil full price from Richard Cree of Explore4 and I know him outwith customer/retailer relationship. As you can see I did not just test them in my kitchen (a suicidal location with the Kelly Kettle)!

They do not import the JetBoil gas to the UK but I understand its exactly the same as Coleman propane butane mix.

Briefly it does a fantastic job of boiling in a very compact package. It's pants at cooking anything thick like soup or porridge. It does not light very well in cold conditions and using full 100g cannisters (that fit inside the pot) it tends to flare badly in cold conditions once lit.

Douglas :o)

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:57 pm

Cheers DW, have ordered. All I want it for, is a quick hot drink before getting dinner on.

'Kelly kettle' thing looks frankly terrifying.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Helen M

Jetboil

Post by Helen M » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:22 pm

Were paddling on Bute on Saturday and when we stopped for lunch Richard took out his jetboil and had made a cuppa within minutes -I was very impressed. A brief discussion about the pros and cons of jetboil versus flasks followed. I think the jetboil won hands down.

H - x

Douglas Wilcox

Jetboil

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Hello Helen, yes I like the Jetboil very much and use mine a lot, especially on day trips (8) and one camping trip. I bought one when Explore4 first stocked them.

But do not write off the Kelly kettle. On a windy exposed beach on Skye (see picture of Kelly Kettle above), neither the Jetboil or the OutdoorDesigns stove (with windbreak) were capable of boiling water at all.

The Kelly Kettle boiled 1 pint in less than three minutes from getting it out the hatch! I carry 1 pint of water inside its chamber and a firelighter and some kindling inside its chimney.

In windy conditions I light it with windproof matches (very good) but I have recently got another gadget from Explore4: a Silva windproof gas lighter/rope burner which I am dying to try out in the field.

Despite its terrifying appearance I have not burned myself with it. I have however, burned my fingerts on the Jetboil and its Neoprene cover took light and melted on another trip to Skye.

Last year we ran out of gas on a week on North Uist because the constant strong winds meant it took very long to boil anything. This year's trip to the outer Hebrides, with space at a premium, (I subscribe to the Jim school of Packing) I will be taking the Kelly Kettle as it thrives in the wind and can also burn almost anything that is lying around.

Heather Rainsley

kelly kettle

Post by Heather Rainsley » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:34 pm

I saw friends using a Kelly kettle a couple of weeks ago. Fell in love with it. They fed it dried grass and drift wood and it boiled water in no time. I did wonder about the size of it for packing on longer trips however and hesitated about getting one. Now Mark's got the jetboil, it seems a bit excessive to get one too.
Heather Rainsley

Jim

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:05 pm

One of the guys we usually paddle with carries a kelly kettle, it does seem to work pretty well. As I recall the kettle part is an inner liner so the flames lick up around the sides. If you have a regular stove I would recommend buying an MSR heat exchanger (comes with the XGK cookset, or available separately), I find I get fantastic boil rates whether I use it with my multifuel dragonfly or the butane pocket rocket.

Also, MSR specify that you must only use thier bottles on the pocket rocket, this is utter crap because I can never find them and have to use other brands. From what I can tell all these mini bottles have identical screw threads and almost all use a 70/30 Butan/Propane mix. The difference is that the sealing boil seems to be at a slightly different on some bottles - the ones I use are Coleman the same as the ones in Douglas' photos and I have to be very particular to screw the stove on good and tight compressing the rubber washer loads to make sure the ball valve is opened properly. My dad for example doesn't seem to be able to screw it down hard enough and the stove goes out within 5 seconds of lighting it (I now make sure I always assemble the stove).

This does not apply to the multifuel fuel stove fuel bottles, in this respect MSR use a much finer thread than everyone else so you really do have to use their bottles.

JIM

Mark R

Post by Mark R » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Had a cup of tea this evening courtesy of JetBoil...if I can work it, it must be idiot-proof.

I like the way it is really self contained, it seems ideal for whipping out of a hatch at lunch stops.
Mark Rainsley
FACEBOOK

Zoe Newsam

Post by Zoe Newsam » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:36 am

I look forward to witnessing it in action this weekend!!

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:04 pm

Kelly ketle is fantastic on real fires, okay perhaps not in this country. Great on real expeditions, very quick and very safe!
Developing Desire for Adventure!

Douglas Wilcox

Jetboil v Kelly kettle

Post by Douglas Wilcox » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:27 am

Took both of these to the summer isles. Used them both at campsit and also at lunch stops.

The jetboil is very convenient with its piezo ignition and its very clean. I had none of the ignition, flaring problems I experienced in the winter, but you do need to find shelter as it can take an age to boil in a wind.

The 1 pint Kelly kettle boils 2 pints of water usin three pieces of 1cm square by 20cm kindling. after its boiling I pour out a half pint then fill and repeat twice to get 2 pints.

its wonderfull to have "unlimited" hot water at a camp. In the morning with a force5 SE blowing through our exposed camp the Kelly kettle roared into action every time for teas, coffee and pouring onto quick oats.

it gets smelly from woodsmoke so you need a good bag to wrap it in.

It is smaller than a Jetboil with 500g gas cartridge, it is slightly bigger than jetboil with 100g cartrige inside but you can store kindling for 5 fires (10pints) inside and it carries 1 pint. The Jetboil needs a seperate water container. Some say you can use a Jetboil inside a tent but with my experience of burned fingers and a burned insulation jacket after flaring, I would very strongly advise kepping a lit Jetboil as far away from your tent as possible.

So there we have it, after extensive field testing of two great gagets, the Kelly Kettle just gets my vote, based on its low running costs and performance in a wind compared with the convenience and cleanliness of the Jetboil.