How many paddles have you owned?

Inland paddling
Kev W

Re: How many paddles have you owned?

Post by Kev W »

OK after 5 or 6 years

1st Set: General purpose paddles bought with boat, after a month i realised they were "left handed" unlike me, so they had to go
2nd set: Robson greens, nice paddles but realised after a short while they are small blades and suitable for smaller paddlers............................ the exact opposite to me!
3rd set: Robson oracles, excellant, large powerful blade, just what I wanted

Also bought a set of Werner players form a friend who packed in but prefer the large blade of the oracle. Do prefer the grip of the Werner shaft though. Waiting to find a suitable spigot so I can make them into splits!

Strad

Post by Strad »

in 30 years or thereabouts I've gone through 4 sets of white water ones, (not including polo blades or wings)

new waves
Schlegel all rounds
another set of schlegels
set of Kobers

still got them all except the first set of Schlegel's

ok if you really want to include the polo blades, 1 set of DB diamonds and iirc 4 shafts for them, and the set of wings had a slight accident with land rover
Old School?? I miss my AQII..
Graham Stradling

john fitz

Post by john fitz »

I'm quite impressed that my first set has lasted me this long. About 5 years out of a set of Peak UK ones (essentially re-badged ty-warps) and i dont really go easy on them. The ends are a little worn from scraping and bashing on rocks but its mainly just cosmetic damage.

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I've now lost my Werner Bandit, which is gutting as its my oldest paddle, and I'm somewhat attached to it (should I get it back broken, I'll keep it and get it mounted on the wall).

Unless I'm a very lucky fellow, I'll be adding a new paddle soon.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

janet brown

Post by janet brown »

One set of Schlegel workblades since 2001!
Lost them just above the graveyard on the Tryweryn in May, found by campsite that evening: thanks to whoever lobbed them up for me. Used Ainsworth split rest of the day (shared with other half so don't count these).
Was mentally buying a nice set of Mitchells, but having found the Schlegels dont need to now :-(
Schlegels now decorated with bright orange circles to mke them easier to spot in the river if I lose them again!

Janet

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

TheKrikkitWars wrote:I've now lost my Werner Bandit, which is gutting as its my oldest paddle, and I'm somewhat attached to it (should I get it back broken, I'll keep it and get it mounted on the wall).

Unless I'm a very lucky fellow, I'll be adding a new paddle soon.
How did you lose it? Just wondering if a bailiff/pet policeman confiscated it on the Conwy :-)
Martin

Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Over the last 20 odd years I've got though some, and have still got the majority of paddles that I've bought.

1x Set of Ainsworths bought at the Canoe/Kayak exhibition in 1990. Still going strong and will be passed down to my son when he starts paddling.

1xSet of Schlegel stop/go's well used but still strong

1x Set of New Wave paddles died horribly on HPP

1xset of delapre slalom paddles

1x set of steamlyte slalom cranks

1x Set of Robson studs my back up paddles

1x Set of 7twos that are in the garage for a rainy day

1x Carbon crank sidekicks that are my current weapon of choice and I love them.

edited after being informed of others that I've had over the years
Last edited by Millsy on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

DanH

Post by DanH »

Hmmmm.... In 20 years, I've owned the following:

Pyranha HP1
Kober Juniors
Rough Stuff Super Continentals
Werner Rodeo
Werner Rodeo Carbon
Werner Freestyle Carbon
Werner Sidekick
Werner Sidekick Cranked
Kober Control Platinum - Still using
Kober Carving
Kober Spirit - Still using
H2O Team

...and I've just ordered a set of Werner Double Diamonds!

It works out about 1 set every 2 years for me considering I'm still using some of them!

pete.self

Post by pete.self »

hey,
I have had 3 paddles in my 10 ish years of owning much kit, so since not being a v poor child!

my Shlegal Duralene nice for what it was
mad yakkers - loved them and someone stole them as I was going to and from my car at home :(
Mitchell blades custom mde forget the blade shape but love them

SouthernPaddler

Post by SouthernPaddler »

2 in 6 years: 1) some crappy nylon/alu blades, 2) Werner Sidekicks, straight, glass.

However for the first 4 years I was quite recreational, but unless I loose the Sidekicks I cant see myself replacing them for another 2/3 years.

chrism

Post by chrism »

I'm somewhat surprised to see that I've actually had rather a lot of paddles compared to most.

3 sets of polo paddles - my last being some diamond shaped ones if anybody remembers those.
2 pairs of slalom kayak paddles
1 set of assymetrics
2 sets of racing wings
2 sets of WWR wings
3 slalom C1 paddles

That's in 25 years.

John W

Post by John W »

Well it started a while ago with:

1 x ABS Ottersports
1 x Pair general blades (can't remember name)
1 x Freeblade K1 Slalom Blades
1 x Mark Gees Wooden K1 Flat Water Blades
1 x Freeblade K1 WWR Blades (Phil Bond drove his car over them)
1 x Blue and Yellow K1 WWR blades (name? - broke the night before the RAF Champs)
2 x M.I. Kevlar K1 Slalom Blades (1st carbon shaft)
2 x Delapre K1 Slalom blades (replaced a few blades here and there)
3 x Delapre C1 Blades (inc Smokin' Joe and the 'Dimpled' blades)
1 x Nomad K1 Slalom Blades
1 x Plastex Flatwater C1 blade
1 x Gorilla Grip C1 WWR Blade (stolen in Italy)
1 x Wings (name? - used to fold backwards on reverse strokes!)
1 x Galasports WW Wings
1 x Descent WW Wings

and then there is the current 'stock':

(which includes: Double Dutch sea, slalom (C1 & K1) and playboat blades, Legend WW & Sprint wings, Vertical Element Sea Blades, Mitchell Sea Blades, Nomad K1 Slalom Blades, Richard Barber (Nomad) C1 Slalom/WWR blades (excellent) and a pair of plastic Lendals somewhere)

I might have forgotten the odd one over the years but I think that's most of them...

BaldockBabe

Post by BaldockBabe »

3 Kayak paddles:

1) Double Dutch Kinetic (polo);

2) Double Dutch Kinetic (slalom) - had to replace the shaft after snapping it going over on the Muncher at HPP; and

3) Rough stuff Mania (?).

3 Canadian:

All are Galasport. 2 we're bought second hand for £18 for the pair. These are now on loan to one of the juniors in the club who also has my C2 to train in with her boyfriend! The other was a treat for myself as I am now taking the C1 a bit more seriously...

Poke

Post by Poke »

Eight as far as I remember:

1) Some super cheap pink bladed ones we found on the allier circa 1990. Probably once belonged to a rental company (see pic)
2) Schlegals - yellow - used 'till I was about 14. Built to last. Probably sold on by my dad.
3) Gorillas Grips HPS - Broke across my chest aged 15 whilst running the wrong line down "my first grade 5" - the right hand slot on Easan Dubha. HPS apparantly meant "high performance shaft" - ha.
4) Werner Wenatchees(sp?) - Awesome blades. Still have them, though they look more like squirt sticks now (197cm --> ~185cm!)
5) Werner Powerhouses - Lost in a siphon on the Upper Vecchio - dropped in the river whilst filming.
6) Lendal Splits - lent to friends who lost them on a river in Greece (I wasn't even on the trip!)
7) Werner Double Diamond Cranks - Nice blades but don't use them much - anyone want to buy them (197cm, 45°)?
8) Werner Powerhouses - Still gott'em.

Uniyaker - Uni expeditions
Team Pyranha - My adventures

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley »

These Vertical Element paddles are my new blades! Been using them for 3 months and love them! Previously had owned a set of Robson studs and used a set of Gorilla Rodeo X's for many years before that, and back in the day the good old Ainsworths K100s?

Will be posting up a review of these new paddles on my blog soon. But just briefly, Air-core blades, super-light, super-strong and durable, good price, nice powerful blade.

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

They sound good. Do you know of a website for them? I can't find one through googling.
Martin

DaveWortley

Post by DaveWortley »

You get them direct at the moment I don't believe Stu's got the website up and running yet.

FInd Vertical Element on Facebook or
Vertical_element[at]hotmail.co.uk

VE paddles are available in the following options.

Black Glass Shaft
White Glass Shaft
Carbon Shaft
Carbon Cranked (may not be available yet)

A bit of speil from Facebook about the paddles.
The VE unique blade shape has been developed over the last 12 months to bring you an advancement in paddle performance. The aircore brings you a floaty paddle with a wearable edge 'The best of both worlds'! Instead of filling our paddles with cheap non-structural expanding foam we filled ours with the stuff you need extra uni-direction carbon! This increases both strength and rigidity and also saves weight. The front face has been developed to give you more power for a given surface area. We have achieved this by developing the dihdedral and cuvature of the blade in unison. The bottom line been a reduction in slippage from catch through to stroke exit, giving you greater efficiency and power per stroke! We only use top grade carbon for our blades.

IckleMissMayhem

Post by IckleMissMayhem »

Well, I had a set of Rough Stuff Tempests, which survived 3-4 years of abuse, including being run over by a transit van (ye gods know how!) only for the shaft to crack right by the blade in mysterious circumstances at a pool session a couple of weeks ago. Not happy about it, if I find the person responsible, I shall sodomise them with said paddles.

Hoping that Santa will be amazingly generous this year, and I get a pair of Werner Sherpas for Christmas, if not, I shall be scraping the pennies (of which there are precious few!) together to get some in the new year.

morsey

Post by morsey »

ABS things (Broke, there is only so much chopping down and crimping the shaft could take)
Azzalli slalom (Dunno)
Mi (The blade fell off on East Lyn.)
Freeblades (Broke)
Schlegel Extreme green jelly baby hole (gave them away recently)
Schegel touring (broke like a piece of cheese)
Schegel Polo (broke)
Delepre (ugly)
Schegel Extremes X3 (broke after much abuse)
Schegel allround splits (friend borrowed them!)
Ainsworth hydros (same friend)
Lendals (dunno)
DD polo kinetics (lovely, gone to play polo somewhere else now)
Lendals emergency splits (sold them after four years stuck in my boat unused)
Mega (they have gone back to the sea)
Robson Greens (they shrunk and now someone even smaller than me has them)
Lendal kinetic splits (The blade fell off on the East Lyn)(they live in the boat now, I really hope I do not have to use them)
weeners (I would like some shiny new ones, then I can chop my current ones for splits) :-)

mattclarke

Post by mattclarke »

Been paddling off and on for 6 years and somehow managed to only have 1 set of paddles. Brilliant set of Mitchell Blades. Although i suppose i have replaced the original fibre glass shaft for a carbon-kevlar one couple years ago after snapping them on my boat on stanley. So 1 and 1/2 paddles in 6 years...seems a reasonable rate to me.

However i do have a friend who in a 6 month period seems to snap werners like there was no tomorrow including a set of double diamonds...he is quite well known in the local paddling shops.

eeonz

Post by eeonz »

Ainsworth K100
Streamlyte...er.... WW blades, 194, gold fibreglass blades, 60 degree feather, not sure of the name though.

I'm after something in 45 or zero feather now with carbon blades and a split paddle as well.
http://www.iboutdoor.com- Your outdoor resource!

kieronymous

Post by kieronymous »

mattclarke wrote:Although I suppose I have replaced the original fibre glass shaft for a carbon-kevlar one couple years ago after snapping them on my boat on stanley.
Trigger off Only Fools & Horses wrote: I've had the same broom for twenty years... 'course it's had three new handles and two new heads in that time.
: ]
Death just had a Near Chuck Norris Experience

michielv

Post by michielv »

Ollieswims! wrote:Cheers krikkit, I will get down to AS and see if they supply them.
I know this is a really old thread but I did a similar conversion of a piece of Schlegel paddle to turn it into a single blade paddle last week. Took me about an hour in total work hours, three days for the glue to set, varnish to harden out etc.

I made the t-grip myself out of two left-over bits of plywood and shaped that by hand using a rasp and file. As it was plywood a spokeshave would not work, at least that's what I figured.

Some pics: Image

and

It was a great project to do, especially as it did not cost me a penny and gave me a great paddle for rougher conditions. If only the ice on the rivers and ponds here would thaw...

Back to the topic: I've owned lots of different types and brands of paddles over the past 27 years of paddling. Still have about 10+ paddles (Mega, Bracsa, Lendal (3), Double Dutch, Schlegel (2), Kober and Moll (2), couple of no-names) in my garage.

Cheers,

Michiel

PS If anyone really likes to have a wooden t-grip but doesn't know how, just drop me a pm. If all else fails I could make one for you. It's not hard and fun to do.The best part: you can make it fit the shaft perfectly instead of having to

Simon Westgarth

Post by Simon Westgarth »

Many, but in the early years, I had the same paddle for 5 years or so. These days, I go through a paddle a year, and sell it before it looks too beaten to sell for a fair price.

Yellow boat

Post by Yellow boat »

Now that’s made me think. . .
In over 30 years of paddling I have had quite a few.
Canadian paddles (the only sort of paddle that really counts)
1 X Mark Gees (wood is good)
4 X Kober all wood slalom blades including one of the yellow and red super thin paddles with the blade covered in fibre glass or Diolin.
2 X Kober WW blades all wood. Still got both
2 X Mitchell all wood slalom blades. One still going strong.
2 X Delapre the ones with the waffle finish on the drive face, still got both.
4 X New Wave with plastic edging couldn't make these last more than a couple of races in our C2.
2 X Freeblades or Streamlyte asymmetric Kevlar WW blades carbon shafts. Still used
1 X Shlegal Duralene general bash paddle
1 X C1 Carbon Kevlar with curved blade and tapered shaft made in one of the ex eastern block countries ;)
1 x Sawyer wood and carbon with a curved blade and cranked and adjustable shaft. (I don't own it yet I've got it on demo from Endless River; it's an amazing bit of kit)

Kayak paddles
1 pr made by my dad to go with the PBK 17 that we made in the garage.
1 pr Mark Gees, still got them.
1 pr Kober all wood, still got them.
1 pr North shore Designs all wood slalom but modified for polo.
1 pr Gorilla Rodeo, wife uses these.
1 pr Lendal Kinetic on HPS modified crank shafts. The most bombproof paddles I have ever had still going strong.
1 pr Lendal Kinetic 4 piece splits with carbon double torque shaft.

That’s 26 paddles I have had or still own, blimy.

TwoHats

Post by TwoHats »

I've had the same set of Dr D's for 16 years.

They've had 7 pairs of new blades and 6 new shafts.

Alec Ferris

Post by Alec Ferris »

Two pairs. The first were Streamlyte Playstix, which survived three years until they met a rock on the Sunshine Run of all places. Not even a decent sized rock. I'm currently using Werner Sherpas which are leading something of a charmed life at the moment; they got stuck on a set of blocks at CIWW and I'm amazed that they didn't snap.
Hey don't worry, jus' live 'til ya die- QOTSA

BurrsRunner

Post by BurrsRunner »

Been paddling for 6 months and loving every moment of it, just need more rain!!!

In that time I've had two sets...

Set 1) MI Designs, fibreglass shaft and blades, 90° feather. Donated to me, then donated back to the original donor when I bought...
Set 2) Werner Rio, 194cm, 45° feather

Kev W

Post by Kev W »

Ok, so my previous post was:-
OK after 5 or 6 years

1st Set: General purpose paddles bought with boat, after a month I realised they were "left handed" unlike me, so they had to go
2nd set: Robson greens, nice paddles but realised after a short while they are small blades and suitable for smaller paddlers............................ the exact opposite to me!
3rd set: Robson oracles, excellant, large powerful blade, just what I wanted

Also bought a set of Werner players form a friend who packed in but prefer the large blade of the oracle. Do prefer the grip of the Werner shaft though. Waiting to find a suitable spigot so I can make them into splits!
Ive since found a spigot for the Werners and made a pair od splits. . . . . .there ace!!
Ive also since sold the Robson Oracle (which I liked) and replaced them with a set of Werner Powerhouse 200cm paddles, ive finally got my ultimate paddle . . . . . er, so no excuses now!!

Nick_

Post by Nick_ »

3 sets, crappy first set of plastic aluminium blades that broke, then a set of Robson Pogos, and now a set of VE carbons.

The pogos had 2 years of hard abuse including various rock smashes, pins, being dropped off gorge sides and being run over by a fully loaded estate car and are still fine and are my spares. Still use them for rocky ditches, i know my carbon VE's should be stronger but there's something reassuring about a paddle thats been through all that and still aint broke!
See you on the water!

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”