LiquidLogic Speedloader throwbag

Inland paddling
Ricks-Freestyle-Mind

LiquidLogic Speedloader throwbag

Post by Ricks-Freestyle-Mind »

furby

Re: LiquidLogic Speedloader throwbag

Post by furby »

I like the idea, very keen to see it in practise in the full rescue spec version mentioned.

KelvinH

Post by KelvinH »

Looks like they haven't heard of the clean line principal.....
Kelvin.

dwbald

Post by dwbald »

Nice idea would also like to see it in rescue version
And release pressel...
Cheers Dave B

jackbay131

Post by jackbay131 »

looks alot more practicle than some of the narrow neck bags on the market at the moment
Pay cheques , here today , gone tomorrow.

ol

Post by ol »

The thing is when re-packing a bag is that you need to feed it in 'thoughtfully' to get a clean and tangle-free pay-out.

Would this sort of design perhaps encourage folk to just shove the whole lot in, in one big messy bundle therefore making it likely that the bag may not 'pay-out' when thrown next time? I don't know.......

shanebenedict

Post by shanebenedict »

Glad to see so much interest in this concept and I appreciate the feedback.

You are totally right that you could just gob the whole rope back into the bag at
one time and that could cause a big problem but if you load the rope as you normally
would it is easy, quick, and throws very consistantly. The nice thing is you can set the
bag down on its bottom and load the bag hand over hand. I haven't timed it out but
I would guess its nearly a quarter of the time to load this bag.

Clean line principle is that like this?
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8A ... directlink

Thats me on the rock 20 years ago wondering what the hell is going to happen when everyone pulls.

Cheers
Shane
Shane Benedict
Liquidlogic Kayaks
My page is: http://shaneslogic.net
The LL page is: http://www.liquidlogickayaks.com

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

This is a great idea and I hope it works!

No doubt the second and third versions with feeback and improvements will be the dawgz bawz...if not just in terms of design...but this is fantasic!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

kevinf

Post by kevinf »

Hi Shane,

Clean line principle = no knots in the rope other than the bag attachment. If the bag is attached to someone and for some reason the rescuers need to let go of the line there should not be knot or a loop in the rope that will snag either on branch's, rocks or in pulleys etc.... Having 30+ foot of rope attached you as you swim down stream is bad enough without loops and knots to snag on stuff. I can't think of any time I have needed to use a loop in the free end of the rope and if I need one it would take split second to tie one.

Looks good though :-)

Kevin

Rdscott

Post by Rdscott »

I think i will be sticking to my normal throw lines.

No offence but there tooks to be too much going on and to much to go wrong, for a bit of kit that gets Left on boats thrown into rivers dragged up banks and the likes the matiral looks a little omminous, but i'm sure it will suit some people.

pwilkinson

Post by pwilkinson »

I think it's great to see some real innovation in the market.

woody

Post by woody »

kevinf wrote:Clean line principle = no knots in the rope other than the bag attachment
You could always untie the knot? Maybe they needed an anchor point.

I really like the idea of it but on first sight it looks too flimsy and like it will wear out fast, especially the drawcord and the mesh. Kudos to the guys for coming up with this, if it turns out to be durable I will buy one because my current bag is way to slow to reload.

Woody
Rain rain we want rain

shanebenedict

Post by shanebenedict »

Cool lots of feedback I am into it.

I understand the clean line principle thanks. I was joking.
I used loose coil rope for years and years, speaking of dangerous.
Good point and I will definitely consider that change but yes you could always take the knot out.
I think I might also take the loop out of the bag closing rope as well.
The buckle is only an issue if you throw it right at someone but that isn't how its done now is it.
The buckle stays closed except when loading the bag so its not out there dangling around.
It just keeps the whole thing in a tidy package. We are going with a smaller buckle.

I have had a Speedloader rolling around in my boat for the better part of a couple months.
Yeah not long enough but this one is showing no signs of problems so far.

This is all great feedback and its great to get the other side of the pond point of view.
Shane
Shane Benedict
Liquidlogic Kayaks

ol

Post by ol »

Make it heat-seeking and it will be even better!
Good to see someone re-thinking existing designs...

shanebenedict

Post by shanebenedict »

I need a Facebook like button for the "heat seeking" comment.
Shane Benedict
Liquidlogic Kayaks

ziehmstephen

Post by ziehmstephen »

Amazing, about bloody time! Now make unbreakable boats and unpobbale spraydecks and you'll have perfected the sport.
Carpe Diem

Nick_

Post by Nick_ »

That looks like a great idea to me, innovation and I totally agree having used Palm bags I never liked using them as it took so long to repack.

I now use the HF pro gear as I find it much better, but even they come with a plastic handle tied into the free end of the rope, completely against the clean line principle but if it doesn't suit, you just take it out.
See you on the water!

whitey123

Post by whitey123 »

looks good to me like, what sort of price will it be going for?
unless LL are going to be nice and give every one with a LL boat a free one (i wish)

Nick_

Post by Nick_ »

whitey123 wrote:looks good to me like, what sort of price will it be going for?
unless LL are going to be nice and give every one with a LL boat a free one (I wish)
Ooo.... yes please, that's 3 free throwbags for me!
See you on the water!

whitey123

Post by whitey123 »

i will be happy with one

Flo

Post by Flo »

Looks interesting.

Any idea when it'll turn up to have a try with?

SwamP

Post by SwamP »

Think alps trip, think riverside tree branch, think beer in cold water, think kayak beer esky!

Genius!!!!
Lets not try to understand each other. Thanks.

feelingjustfine

Post by feelingjustfine »

Reinventing the wheel really innit-remember when that stupid american football throwbag was out a year or so ago and everyone thought it would be great... That bag doesn't look easy to carry and having little tassles on them I have always found to be a bad design, go for the palm style turbo elastic system if anything I reckon. My waist mounted throw bag has a loop in it, it needs one for it to be quickly deployable, I have never found a problem with it and probably use my throw bag more that most of the boaters here! Nice to have the "theorys" mind...
dam the dart :)

shanebenedict

Post by shanebenedict »

Thanks for the feedback.

Feeling Just Fine
feelingjustfine wrote:-remember when that stupid american football throwbag was out a year or so ago and everyone thought it would be great...
This bag had a great idea. I don't know if you got to try it but it was great to throw. The problem I had with it was how much a pain in the ass it was to load.
feelingjustfine wrote:Reinventing the wheel really innit
I think you didn't mean it this way but if we didn't reinvent the wheel it would be made of stone or wood and it would take forever to get to the put-in. :)

Flo
I believe there will be bags on the way sometime in January/ February.

Ryan P
Speaking of brilliant ideas! I love it!
Another amazing innovation is that if you take the rope out of it. It makes for an excellent party hat.

That free word is scary.

All I ask is for folks to consider it and give it a shot. Nothing more. This change/ progression might just change how this type of gear is looked at.

Cheers
Shane
Shane Benedict
Liquidlogic Kayaks

Westy

Post by Westy »

I think as someone earlier put it, re-visiting an existing design is a much better way of looking at it, and is how we progress. I for one would welcome a bag that is easier to re-pack for people with hands bigger than children's. This looks a really good idea, and I would be keen to try one. As for the buckle hitting someone, my old Yak bag has one and I can't think it would do any damage (unlike the krab I saw attached to a line being thrown to someone a couple of weeks ago!). I do agree with the point that people will need to resist the temptation to just stuff the rope back into the bag, but I would have thought that paddlers needing to equip themselves with a throwbag would not take such a short cut, especially when re-packing looks to be so much easier.

So Shane, what's the rrp going to be?

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

shanebenedict wrote:Feeling Just Fine
feelingjustfine wrote:-remember when that stupid american football throwbag was out a year or so ago and everyone thought it would be great...
This bag had a great idea. I don't know if you got to try it but it was great to throw. The problem I had with it was how much a pain in the ass it was to load.
I'm with Chris here, that bag was only good if you had a good overarm throw; as someone who uses the sidearm throw (It's well powerful, just needs practice) it made no difference to me; I'll also repeat his request for attachement loops so I can put it on my guidebelt (which also attaches my throwbag to my bulkhead when I'm boating).

That Aside, I disagree with him otherwise; The need for a throwbag which can be repacked and thrown in a time equivalent to coiling and throwing has long been evident. Because no matter how good you are (or think you are) a coiled line never throws as well or as far as a bulletbag would, and whilst "mass carnage" situations where you have multiple swimmers are rare (even for that much maligned entity the "Uni Club"), It's usually these situations where only quick resolution can prevent things getting out of control. I think that with a little practice in packing it at speed; this throwbag offers just such a solution.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

shanebenedict

Post by shanebenedict »

Here in the states the price will be around 60 bucks U.S.
I did the google translation and it said 36 pounds and 40 euros.
Shane
Shane Benedict
Liquidlogic Kayaks

StoneWeasel

Post by StoneWeasel »

I looks like it could be a very good idea, of course it might be useless but I will definitely try one as soon as I get the opportunity to find out for myself what I make of it.

Shane I think you have made one design flaw which will prevent it from getting an instant rave review from half of this forum without having tried it................ you forgot to put a Palm label on it ;)

Good on you though for trying to improve something that we all use but I dear say the design of which is rarely given much of a thought, I can't wait to play with one.

Denzil

Flo

Post by Flo »

Cool cool,

Looking forward to having a go with it

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Somone mentiond it being good to have a line thats easyer to pack if you dont have child sized hands, well I have child sized hands and a line thats of decent length and is still easy to throw would be realy useful, ie the 25m palm lines I can't grip well enough to throw peroperly. There you go guys mission 2

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”