Trent Weirs

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Wavesportzg54

Trent Weirs

Post by Wavesportzg54 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Have had a couple of sessions at Newark in the last few days, and with all this wet weather decided to have a look at trentlock and sawley..

Now there is no water level gauge does anyone know how to predict these weirs coming into condition?

My rule of thumb for newark is.. if hpp is flooding out up towards the muncher go to newark.

Wondered if anyone has any ideas, and also if anyone has managed to catch trentlock recently??

Cheers

Michael
M Beamish

RichA

Re: Trent Weirs

Post by RichA » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:50 pm

For Trent Lock look at the bottom eddy river left at HPP, just upstream of the wooden bridge. If the water is well over the concrete and onto the grass then it's probably worth a look. On the drive from Notts to Trent Lock on the north side of the river I usually see ducks playing in playgrounds when Trent Lock is working. Sawley, just go if TL is too high when you get there. Drive down the road a bit and walk down the canal 100m from the main road bridge and have a look. River right hole is a good laugh and doesn't appear to be too shallow (test this yourself, don't take my word!) This hole works when it's too low for the main wave to run.

Mysterymove

Post by Mysterymove » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:54 pm

UH, not meaning to P*ss on anyone's bonfire, but the river right hole @ Sawley used to have Rebar in it! Unless anyone's removed it, probably not best to roll if your playing on that side of the river ;o)

As a general rule, as mentioned above Trent lock runs when the course is backed up to the middle bridge.

Trent lock running, is by now a mytical legend and only runs when Nottingham is under water

Dave Manby

Post by Dave Manby » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 pm

Don't know what water levek it was but Sawley sure made a mess of Jonny Pearson's face once!

Nick_

Post by Nick_ » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Mike, guide book says just over 3m on the trent gauge for Sawley, and if that isn't quite working Trentlock should go at just under 3m on the gauge. Also has a warning about some metal spikes in the hole river right.

Newark was pretty much bang on when we were there last weekend - guide book says 2.1-2.4m on the gauge. I think the jist of it is if Newark is closed in go to trentlock, and sawley if that's too high. It also mentions Farndon weir, which goes when Newark is closed in and before Trentlock goes (between 2.4-2.6), but there are no eddies, so don't wash out!

Don't forget about the South Wales action on the weekend if the night shift is quick!

Nick
See you on the water!

Pete C.

Post by Pete C. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:20 pm

Yep - River right @ Sawley is minging, or at least was five years ago. I wouldn't touch it with yours...

Nick - there's a gap in the levels between Farndon washing out and Trentlock coming in, and I think that's where the trent is right now? Proper awkward without the phone gauge...

As an aside, I think boats are too short for Sawley to work now? Unless you've got something long and low rocker (hello Shep) then you're going to struggle to make the cross onto the shoulder on the regular river left side. There's a big pile comes in on river right if you're in a 50 year flood, a la 2001. So for nu-school paddlers, it's almost better to forget about Sawley?

So - in an order of low to high:

HPP
Newark
Farndon
Drive to a different drainage
Trentlock
(Sawley)

And Ben - your last para: did you mean Sawley instead of Trentlock? Trentlock runs a few days every year...