RIVER WYE (Symonds Yat East to Monmouth)

From the Warwickshire Avon in the south, to the Trent in the north
Mark R

RIVER WYE (Symonds Yat East to Monmouth)

Post by Mark R » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 pm

MrNiceGuy

Re: RIVER WYE (Symonds Yat East to Monmouth)

Post by MrNiceGuy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi guys. Im paddling at Symonds Yat East on 26th to 29th July with some friends, what are the current water levels like.

Thanks, Joe.
http://www.cvcc.org.uk
CuckmereValleyCanoeClub

andya

Post by andya » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Click on the red dots here:

http://www.wyeuskfoundation.org/conditions/index.php

Currently very High!

MrNiceGuy

Post by MrNiceGuy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:54 pm

Cheers Andy.
But I mean are the levels at Symonds Yat east rapids good for kayaking at the moment. I can see the one at lucksall is currently in the middle of the stick, but how do i relate this to actual water levels??

Cheers/
http://www.cvcc.org.uk
CuckmereValleyCanoeClub

ed57hinds

Post by ed57hinds » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:16 pm

Synonds Yat very high on Sat 18th. Rapid completely washed-out. no sign of rocks and just a few standing waves. lots of branches floating down middle of river. Had lots of rain since so don't expect any changes !

slink

Post by slink » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:56 am

Hi all, does anyone know what the level is like at the Yat at the moment? I've looked at the Lucksall gauge webcam, and yes it's low, but how does this relate to Yat rapids? We're thinking of going over next week for a couple of hours - is it worth taking kayaks, or should I go mountain biking instead!
Cheers, Steve

Mark Thompson

Post by Mark Thompson » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:16 pm

Since the work undertaken jointly by the local canoe clubs and BCU funding, the rapids have now been improved and well worth a visit if you are new to white water or just returning or are local and dont want to travel for white water. The funding resulted in fixed big boulders creating good groynes with eddies behind them idea for practice or starting out. Of course now that the river is used by many tour companies these rapids are now busier than ever but you still get some great breaks to practice skills. I have run many course here focusing on ferry gliding, eddie hopping (up and down stream), reading water, rescue techniques and group management on small sections of white water focusing on communication and awareness. Even in summer levels this is still a good spot with easy carpark, pub for lunch and egress to portage back up stream with paths on both banks.

In medium levels the flows here is obviously quicker and features more defined including a small wave forming at the top which can be surfed or used to eddie hope behind. The eddies become quicker and you can get great oppertunities to play boat on the eddie lines. I have even undertaken cartwheeling coaching with local clients here. It is a popular spot.

In winter when river levels are higher when all the boulders are covered the rapids get washed out. But if paddlers are capable of being on grade 2 water with quick winter flows then i advise that your trips should be moved to paddle other local rivers with many other features, including the Mono, the middle usk, lower Usk or middle Wye.
Mark Thompson
(Outdoor Performance Coaching).

Wye Canoes

Post by Wye Canoes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:18 pm

There is now parking and the ability to launch from Ye Old Ferrie Inn which is on the West side of the river, it's 500m about the rapids at Symonds Yat and we (Wye Canoes) will if we have the space drop you and your boats up river or pick you up from Monmouth or Redbrook. http://www.wyecanoes.com/