RIVER COQUET

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
Mark R

RIVER COQUET

Post by Mark R »

jmoxley2

Coquet below Rothbury

Post by jmoxley2 »

Just returned from a family (non-paddling) trip to Rothbury and noticed a nice looking rapid on the Coquet about half a mile downstream of the town by an old watermill. At what I guess was a mid level (the stepping stones in Rothbury were about 3 inches under water) this looked like a long grade III-ish. However the Coquet section of the guidebook stops just above this. Does anyone have any intelligence on this rapid? What's the grade and what's access like on this river - it seemed a bit angler-ridden.

Janet

active4seasons

Post by active4seasons »

Hi Janet,
It is called Thrum mill, grade 2, 3 at a push. Hoping to do the river this weekend and will let you know more after. Upper coquet grade 3/4 is possible when very wet but have not done it myself.
Ollie
Developing Desire for Adventure!

catbunnygoth

Re: RIVER COQUET

Post by catbunnygoth »

just down from the water mill was where in 1991 a father and son died in a canoe accident so beware it looks safe but its very dangerous in the winter and heavy rain fall.
they were very strong swimmers and experianced so be careful

barneytod

Post by barneytod »

hi does anyone know if you can paddle a trip on this river to finish in warkworth probably from rothbury

Jim Pullen

Post by Jim Pullen »

Yep - sections both above and below that described here are possible. There's guides for these other sections both in "English White Water" and Nick Doll's "A Canoeists Guide to the North East." Unfortunately, no one's sent in a guide to this site yet though!
Done any NE/NW rivers not on the site? PM me!

Return to “England - Northeast”