YORKSHIRE RIVER ESK (Houlsyke to Egton Bridge)

North of the Trent drainage, flowing to the North Sea
RobHel

Tree Down on River Esk (North Yorks)

Post by RobHel »

Paddled the Esk yesterday getting on at the Railway bridge near Glaisdale. There is a tree down across the the first rapid approx 1 mile downstream of the get in. The tree is large, riverwide and after one of the bends so you won't see it until it's too late. Luckly we were inspecting some of the features upstream.
Rob H

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

Is this before Egton Bridge? And how did you pass the stepping stones at Egton Bridge? Is it OK below there, down to Whitby, and what level was it at on measure at Egton Bridge?

RobHel

Post by RobHel »

I believe it was at 6 on the bridge. We actually stopped when we found the tree (before the bridge) as it was pretty chunky and there was no telling what was further downstream in the usually harder sections.

I'd say the river was at least 5/6 feet higher than normal so the stepping stones wouldn't have caused a problem. We were talking to a local in the pub at Beck Hole and they said one of the sets of stepping stones has been removed, replaced by a concrete wall type structure with pipes running through it.

We actually went and paddled West Beck nr Grosmont/Beck Hole, was a fantastic paddle. [/img]
Rob H

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

I had a look at the stepping stones on 23rd Aug and both sets were still there, with the set nearest the pub at EB just washing over. The level was at 1.5 at the time. Looked good to go, but my paddling buddy decided on an alternate venue because of the possibility of river wide trees blocking the river.

Mark R

YORKSHIRE RIVER ESK (Houlsyke to Egton Bridge)

Post by Mark R »

RobHel

Re: YORKSHIRE RIVER ESK (Houlsyke to Egton Bridge)

Post by RobHel »

Got in under the Railway Bridge on Sunday and came came back to notes on our windscreens from the nearby Estate saying our vehicles had been reported to the police as we were tresspassing on private land. Not heard anything since however.

River was brown and level was just over 3ft on the gage at Egton Bridge, was a good level and nice paddle.

We also did West Beck. We last did it in Dec 09 and was clear. The heavy snow since has brought down lots of trees below Mallyan Spout making it a mandatory portage or 6 through the gorge. So suggest you get out at the spout as the portages were not the easiest.
Rob H

Big Henry

Post by Big Henry »

I see the EA have finally got round to adding the gauge at Lealholm. Don't know how it compares for paddling levels, though.

RobHel

Post by RobHel »

Is there any way to get historical data?

We did the Esk on 27/01/2013, was 4 on gage at Egton Bridge and it was a fantastic level.

Will make a point of checking the EA site next time.
Rob H

Return to “England - Northeast”