Quick question pls!!

Inland paddling
a_cretin

Quick question pls!!

Post by a_cretin »

Hi everyone and apologies for posting what's probably a daft question as my first post...!!

I bought a sit on kayak on the w'end (first boat) and was surfing the net for local rivers etc and ive found a lot of sites referring to bcu licenses - errrmmm, do i have to have one?? If i didnt, would i be in trouble??? I had assumed, probably stupidly i guess, that i could just paddle around wherever i wanted...guess not (think ive answered my own question, but some advice would be great please)

Also, is anyone local to northants who i could possibly tag along with for paddles out and about, or recommend some places that i can easily get into the water? (will check and post in the paddling buddies section in a minute...)

Thanks everyone, will hopefully bump into some of you soon (unless i miss!!!)

Daz
Last edited by a_cretin on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banzer

Post by banzer »

Welcome and don't worry about asking seemingly silly questions - I do all the time! Do try to use capital letters at the start of sentences or your posts may get deleted. It's the only rule here and seems fair enough.

You don't need a licence to use a kayak. Many anglers would like it if we did, but you don't. You can join the BCU if you wish, have a look at their website www.bcu.org.uk.

Paddle anywhere you like but watch out for weirs and anglers as they can potentially spoil your day.

Have fun, Rich.
A. Boater wrote:It's all Pierre's fault
www.neviscanoes.co.uk

a_cretin

Post by a_cretin »

Thanks for the warning about capitals - i'd literally just stumbled across the post for newbies and had edited my original post as you replied.

Thanks also for clearing the license situation up - the last thing i wanted was to get a fine!!

Apart from the obvious tips, i.e. wearing a life jacket and travelling in groups etc, is there any other useful info or recommendations anyone may have? (or any useful sites other than the bcu one?)

Many thanks

TheKrikkitWars

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Only advice I can think of is to restate the advice above of avoiding weirs, locks and other man made structures, they can and often are lethal so give them a wide berth.

You need a British Waterways license on parts of the Thames and most Canals, the cheepest way to get one is to join the BCU.

Other than that, just have as much fun as possible.
ONE BLADE, ONE LOVE, [TOO] MANY PIES

Joshua Kelly

Jim

Post by Jim »

You guys have me in tears!

mharrall

Post by mharrall »

Jim wrote:You guys have me in tears!
It's a beautiful thing!
Martin

aleeivel

Post by aleeivel »

If you new to paddling find out about your local clubs check them out and join 1 you think suits you, I'm sure if you ask on here then many people will be able to advise as to good clubs in your area.

Most important thing is to keep safe and as a new paddler the best way of doing that is under the assistance of more experienced local paddlers!!!

Stay safe and enjoy your paddling
Andy Lee
www.thecanoeclub.com

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
-----------
With democracy, it's your vote that counts; with feudalism - it's your Count that votes.....

garya

Post by garya »

Find out about a local club and get yourself along. Try speaking these people who are based in northampton http://www.nckc.org.uk/

They will be able to show you how to paddle and control your craft better as well as teaching you some basic safety points. They may also run trips so that you can paddle safely in a group with others and will know all the best local spots for paddling.

Please stay away from any wiers, trees and other structures in the river as they can be very dangerous !!

Welcome to the sport and I hope you find it as fun and enjoyable as the rest of us.

Happy (safe) Paddling :-)

Gary

Jules

Post by Jules »

With regards to licences.....

A number of waterways and river systems in the UK are subject to specific legislation which has allowed for the governing authority to introduce byelaws requiring users to purchase a licence (or pay a toll). I'm afraid I don't have a comprehensive list of applicable waterways and rivers. BCU membership does include a "Universal licence to navigate".....but there is very little clarification on their site as to what this actually means.

This is a different issue to the access debate which is all about whether there is a right for non-powered craft to navigate rivers where no specific legislation exists. It is the opinion of many here (myself included) that there is an historical right for us to paddle on such rivers, however it should be noted that this position needs clarification in law and as such there are no guarantees that you won't encounter someone whose opinions differ.

I hope this helps. Enjoy the rivers.

Jules

Pete the kayaker

Re: Quick question pls!!

Post by Pete the kayaker »

a_cretin wrote:Hi everyone and apologies for posting what's probably a daft question as my first post...!!
Wouldn't be the first! :)
a_cretin wrote:I bought a sit on kayak on the w'end (first boat) and was surfing the net for local rivers etc and ive found a lot of sites referring to bcu licenses - errrmmm, do I have to have one?? If I didnt, would I be in trouble??? I had assumed, probably stupidly I guess, that I could just paddle around wherever I wanted...guess not (think ive answered my own question, but some advice would be great please)
Just to add a bit more detail to Krikkitwars earlier post... (and to save confusion);

A British Waterways Licence covers you for the canal network (the bits that British Waterways own - i.e. most of it) and can be obtained, I believe, FOC (see this page), but this does NOT cover you for use on the Thames.

The EA covers the Thames licence - see this page and also read this.

Alternatively, join the BCU/Canoe England as membership will cover both licences. This is slight more pricey, but has additonal benefits (i.e. insurance).
a_cretin wrote:Also, is anyone local to northants who I could possibly tag along with for paddles out and about, or recommend some places that I can easily get into the water? (will check and post in the paddling buddies section in a minute...)
Check out these guys as they are quite local to you.
a_cretin wrote:Thanks everyone, will hopefully bump into some of you soon (unless I miss!!!)
Daz
Undoubtedly ;)
*Fringe Extremist*

a_cretin

Post by a_cretin »

Thanks again everyone...

Return to “Whitewater and Touring”